• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I stopped in to talk with Danny Favre @ Favre's Guns today about installing a rail on my Remington 1187, and he said he doesn't do that anymore.... which really kind of threw me for a loop since I figured that was just standard gunsmithing type stuff.

anyway, Im looking for someone to do this. I could probably do it myself, but I really dont want to screw it up. So does anyone know anyone around Terre Haute who does this?

thanks,
    clay

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I cant remember what it is called but there is a guy on 40 between the prison and 231 that my buddy from work takes all his guns to. I know its on the north side of the road right after the 45 mph zone.
    Duane has looked at a couple guns for me and I really like him and the guys at the shop but if it isnt something he has time to do right then be prepared to part with your gun for a month or more.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I stopped in to talk with Danny Favre @ Favre's Guns today about installing a rail on my Remington 1187, and he said he doesn't do that anymore.... which really kind of threw me for a loop since I figured that was just standard gunsmithing type stuff.

anyway, Im looking for someone to do this. I could probably do it myself, but I really dont want to screw it up. So does anyone know anyone around Terre Haute who does this?

thanks,
    clay
    Im curious, what are you gonna do that for? I own (2) 1187's. Great shotguns! :rockwoot:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Receivers thinner on top (in the front due to bbl tang).
    Some folks have gone with this type of mount to better put the screws where it's thicker

SHOTGUN SCOPE MOUNT - Brownells

Your bbl is held on by the forend, no real bearing surface like an 870 and barrel ring to mag cap.

Probably not the most accurate way to shoot. Of course a cantilever bbl might help keep things aligned, but then the rails seem to be where I look, even with high comb stocks (scopes sitting a bit higher than the rail LOL).

A low profile clamshell receiver mount might be good enough. The alloy ones will scratch your receiver though (and they aren't that low). I used Kapton tape from work to protect mine (when I ran a couple of Aimtechs way back). Remington sells a lower profile plastic mount, and I got one and it held up fine (only used one turkey season).........but first thing I did was epoxy the nuts for the screws as the pockets in the plastic for them were a bit large and the nuts would rotate a bit and looked to start tearing up the pockets.

BTW, I don't run 1187's............just reg and magnum 1100's :)

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I want to put a scope mount on my deer rifle that isn't a saddle type. I've got one of those and never could hold a great zero, and if you over tighten the bolts to try and make it better, the receiver flexes enough that the bolt won't cycle.

That scope mount from brownells might be the trick vs. just a single rail.

Thanks!
    clay

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I want to put a scope mount on my deer rifle that isn't a saddle type. I've got one of those and never could hold a great zero, and if you over tighten the bolts to try and make it better, the receiver flexes enough that the bolt won't cycle.

That scope mount from brownells might be the trick vs. just a single rail.

Thanks!
    clay

I've used the clamshells with success, aluminum ones for deer rigs. Yup, overtightening the front screw will hose ya, and also change trigger pull substantially (heavy). Most are for "see through" and that is total BS. They allow you to see through and use the freakin' vent rib or reg bead sight, but are too low to use most iron sights on deer bbls.

So why even make them see through?

Remington came out with a lower type (plastic). It is a "one size fits all" thing, not sure how the spacers and stuff would work on the 20's. But there is a set screw at the top rail to bring things to bear.

I've wondered about D&T the meatier top section of an 1100, behind the bbl tang, and then securing the base (Weaver style) with epoxy and screws (epoxy full length but of course to better anchor the non screw area over the tang).

But then..........we still have bbl fitment issues. How it secures up front by the forearm, and at the tang.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I know a couple of 1187 guys who made steel Weaver style bases and screwed/welded them on. Think one even welded the bbl to the receiver. Now that's a dedicated slug gun!

Top Bottom