• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So yesterday, a group from my wife's family and I went out shooting on our private property and shooting range. It consisted of about 7 adults and than my three year old. He goes out with us all the time and loves wearing his "ears" and sitting on my lap to throw the clays. This time however, was the first time he asked to shoot. He knows not to touch the firearms (and he doesn't) and he stays at my side the whole time. When he asked, I was grinning from ear to ear. He shot my Mossberg 702 plinkster with my help (he is still to small to hold it properly) and than he wanted to shoot the LWRC SBR in .223. After 3 rounds, he wasn't to fond of it and he was done. Well of course I am proud father, but my wife expressed that she didn't think it was a good idea and that he is to young (now she is not anti gun or anything and goes shooting with us also). I was kind of crushed, but I can see from her point of view too. So I ask INGO, if the interest is shown, is three TO YOUNG to be shooting? Also, all firearms are kept locked up and put away at home with the execption of my EDC which is in an electronic pistol safe when not on my hip.
    Of course, here are pics!!!!!!!! :ar15:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    That first pic would be a great campaign poster if you ever run. :):

But seriously, while I think 3-4 is too young to instruct someone in shooting, you were really just giving him a taste in a very controlled and safe environment. Like you said, three or four rounds with the SBR and he was done. So his curiosity was satisfied, he had a great time with dad and now has a better understanding of firearms as a base for future learning.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i think 3-4 is too young to go at it on their own (even if he could hold it). but the way you had him and just showing him what it was like i see no problem with. My brother and I have done the same thing with his son (who is 3) but my daughter and son (6 and 10) are allowed to hold the gun by them selves and shoot but with me RIGHT next to them. Also they only shoot .22lr anyway so its not like its going to get away from them because of the kick.

super duty1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    Esat of Indy
    Great picture

You are a good dad. Just get him into a good gun safety class when you think he is ready. :-)

PS
    Safety glasses would be good!

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I think you did good. I wouldn't allow it at a public range or anything or any extended time, but satisfying the curiosity on occasion for the little one to get a feel for it is OK in my book.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Perfectly acceptable in my mind. As he grows, his knowledge will grow.
    He shot the SBR and now has a HEALTHY fear of it, he knows now its not something he wants to mess with. He shot the .22 and knows that he can do it, but only with Dad's assistance.
    Keep at it with him, teach him the 4 safety rules and have him recite them often when going to the range, even question him once in a while.

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    Nothing wrong at all, but the sbr might have been a bit much with the loud noise and concussion even with ear protection on. Definitely the eye pro like you said and maybe have him double up on the ear protection with plugs and high quality muffs. Dont want to risk any damage there especially so young.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    +1 for you and your son!
    I just had this conversation with my wife yesterday. I took my 4 year old son to his 1st turkey shoot. He said that he would like to shoot but I had to explain to him that he was a little too small to shoot my shotgun. I told my wife that I need to take him to shoot one of the .22. She does not want him to go now. I told her maybe next year and he still thinks 5 is too small. We will see. BTW, she is not anti-gun either.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You are a good dad. Just get him into a good gun safety class when you think he is ready. :-)

PS
    Safety glasses would be good!

Yeah, I have a pair for him, but he decided to go last minute (we were at my inlaws house) and I wasn't anticipating him wanting to shoot. He definantly will be geared up next time.

The glasses are for the young man's safety, not for looks. It is irresponsible to have him around anyone shooting, much less shooting without them.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Other than the lack of safety glasses I see nothing wrong in the pictures. He was interested in shooting the guns and was safely allowed to do so. It is not like he was holding it by himself doing a mag dump.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    That is awesome. I would get him some glasses. They make safety glasses for young kids. My son (4) has been asking for his own gun as well. It makes me proud that he want to have his own gun! You should be a very happy father!

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    I agree with what several on here have already mentioned; that by allowing him to experience shooting firsthand, it satisfies his curiosity... at least for a while. This makes him less likely to "coonfinger" your guns when you're not around.

But absolutely get his shooting glasses next time.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Safety glasses always-even as a watcher. I probably wouldn't have let him because of that. And made sure he went ASAP with the eyewear. He would have learned a valuable lesson...no eyes and ears-no shooting.

Your his father and know him better than we do, but I don't see anything wrong with 22s and crickets for the young ones with you helping or being by their side as they grow and mature a little.

223? Maybe a little much, but I don't know the recoil of that gun. Your call on that one. How bruised was he after the 3 shots? My own curiosity.

Now you need to snag a .410 shotty for him.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ive started kids as young as 3, this summer i bought them a cricket rifle and threaded it for my suppressor. in my opinion a suppressor is the most helpful tool made for teaching kids to shoot. noise scares kids, and with out ears on they can hear my instructions better

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I started about the same age , and the same way .
    My dad would pretty much hold the remington 550-1 and let me pull the trigger .

Guess what , I still own that same gun (40 some odd years later ).
    My Dad has since passed , I shoot it in his honor from time to time .

I guess I liked shooting at that age , Guns are what I do for a Living :ingo:

Love seeing this kind of pic .:patriot:

Top Bottom