• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    The other day I was in a higher profile Indy area firearm store and was saddend on how much the employees help in the ammo and gun buying increase/craze....

While in said store there was discussions amoung employees and customers about buying guns and ammo while you still can....

Later someone called I. Looking for some popular ammo and the employee said they don't have any and if you find some get as much as you can because its only going to get worse because of Obama being re elected.

Granted I realize it is good for buisness to get people buying but when you are helping with the panic???

I doubt I will go to a gun show or store for a while.

Not a political discussion just on how people can greatly infulance others and how you wonder if pushing people to buy using the pretense that the governement is going to end it is ethical when you are selling said goods.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Please take no umbrage or offense, but why not post the name of the store? High profile store does nothing to give us an idea of who to not shop at anymore!

On the other hand, I have seen that alot of people were burned by dealers before and noticed the demand was not as crazy as it was last time. Me thinks people are getting the picture that sometimes their local dealer may not be their 'buddy' but meerly a business whose goal is to rid you of your money. :twocents: Check out stuff online: Everything is still relatively in stock. Stores actually still have stuff on their shelves. '08, I had nothing, literally nothing on the shelves, unless you wanted a box of .32-20 or .41 Mag.

Heck, I remember when I worked in a shop in '08, we had literally nothing on the shelves except really weird guns or expensive guns. People that came in late would say, "Just give me that one." I would reply with an incredulous, "That is a Springfield M1A, about $1200 dollars, not counting tax." "I don't care, just give me the gun, you don't have anything else left, do you take credit card?" was their hurried reply. After 4473 and payment, they would rush out the door. Didn't know what they bought, didn't care, they had a GUN. Was told to push the "upcoming ban" as hard as I could and I mean hard. Tell customers stories of cops getting orders to begin going door to door if I had to, just to scare fence sitters. Had two ol' boys almost fist fight over an AK, voices getting very loud in argueing who 'needed' the AK more. :( About a year and a half after, when things stabilized, shelves again full, people were coming in, wanting to "return" their hurried and unresearched purchase. Credit card maxed out, didn't care what they got for it. The same gun I just sold to someone for $1200 new, came back new and they only got $700 for it.

People are remembering what hype and are putting dealers under different scrutiny than before. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 8 or more times, shame on me...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    People are remembering what hype and are putting dealers under different scrutiny than before. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 8 or more times, shame on me...

Or it could be that, having had Obama in the White House for 4 years already without any high-profile anti-gun stuff happening, they aren't freaking out as much as when he was an unknown quantity.

We've had a serious uptick in business since the election, but it has been much more targeted (sold out of several SKUs of AR-type rifles, but didn't move an AK all weekend), and I haven't had much of a problem reordering the types of guns/mags/ammo that have been selling.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I was in a police supply store last week picking up another Five-seveN. I was contemplating a Colt 6940 (yeah, don't rag on me). :)

Anyway, they had over 50 6940's and I don't know how many 6920's on order and told me that as soon as they came in they would be sold. And they were correct.

And as to Heart's reply, who would sell an M1A?! I'm not selling mine!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Or it could be that, having had Obama in the White House for 4 years already without any high-profile anti-gun stuff happening, they aren't freaking out as much as when he was an unknown quantity.

We've had a serious uptick in business since the election, but it has been much more targeted (sold out of several SKUs of AR-type rifles, but didn't move an AK all weekend), and I haven't had much of a problem reordering the types of guns/mags/ammo that have been selling.

Bingo! 2012: That's what I have noticed, is that the cheap guns, AKs and less expensive ARs are all gone, but still a good selection of anything over 400 bucks. Heck, I picked up one of your police trade in SW99s and you still had a good selection of the trade ins! I figured they would all be gone.

Reordering concerns me. If you guys are not having issues, Plainfield (God Bless them) sez they have everything on backorder "indefinitely" and "do not know when we are ever going to get that XXXX back in stock". :(

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    With all the panic buying, you would think some type of legislation was imminent. With a divided government, I don't think an assault weapons ban or any other similar gun control legislation will pass during the next 4 years - it's a losing issue for members of congress.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I did not want to mention the store because it just could have been the opinions of a few. I have had good experiences there. I only felt I should make this post after I realized how some have the influence to help in the "panic".

From what I have seen t is not like it was when he was elected and still lots of stock online but when I go to a show or a store and have people saying "buy now before they are taken" just annoys me.

In my line of work people ask me on my opinions or recommendations. I will give my opinion by end with "do your own research and make your own educated decision".

Wish people would consider the impact they have the ability to make and that it could be a negative one.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    If any of you have read my posts in the past I am a HUGE supporter of Bradis and I have bought several firearms there over the past year and a little ammo. That was said so that I can now say this without seeming like I am totally bashing the store. I was in retail for a VERY long time only my retial experience was as a butcher in stores and then as a butcher in my own small slaughthouse and retail butcher shop before I joined the Army.
    So anyway:
    I went in awhile back, before I bought the 2 Ruger 10/22s from them, and bought 2 MORE Mosin Nagant 91/30s. The wife and I went over to Bradis II and looked for some spam cans of 7.62x54R as they had them previously around 80.00 or so per 440 round can.
    This was just after the Colorado shooting and they had 440 round spam cans for 149.99. I asked the man behind the counter if they would be getting the cheaper stuff in again and what the difference was and he told me there was no difference and the 7.62x54R was getting hard to fimd and with the Colorado Movie Shooting it would get even more hard to find and more expensive.
    On our way to the highway I had to stop at a gas station to let the wife do her business as she was still VERY pregnant. I used my phone to get online, at Ammunition to go, and ordered three 440 round spam cans EXACTLY lile the ones in Bradis II for 74.95 per can and had them shipped to the house for the same amount I would have spent on only 2 in the store.
    I was also told I would probably NEVER find the .32 S&W rounds I was looking for as they were obsolete and the factories only made a few thousand rounds a year. Which I knew was crap becajse no factory would tool up for a run of a few thousand round per year. So again to Ammunition to go .com and suprise suprise they had it then and still have it and keep having it...
    It is just human nature to let emotion enter into things that peraonal emotions and personal opinions dont need to be in. I would always caution the people who worked for me to be friendly and helpful with cuatomers but that in NO WAY should they EVER bring their personal feelings and opinions into the sale. Of asked for their opinion they were to only give facts about whatever it was be it a beef steak or a package of bacon...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    the cheap guns, AKs and less expensive ARs are all gone, but still a good selection of anything over 400 bucks.

On the contrary; we have been selling Colts, Rock Rivers, Windhams, Stags and our built-up demo guns, but still have several types of Olympics and DPMS in stock.

If you guys are not having issues, Plainfield (God Bless them) sez they have everything on backorder "indefinitely" and "do not know when we are ever going to get that XXXX back in stock". :(

:rolleyes:

That which was difficult to get before the election is still difficult to get, but we haven't had to resort to anything drastic, like ordering ban-compliant guns just to have something to sell...

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Sounds like maybe the groups of people and their experience has changed. Instead of people rushing to buy their first gun before the ban, this time we have people who are getting a "spare" rifle, or maybe getting something bigger than what they have with more knowledge.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What does it matter? Commerce is people paying whatever they will for a good or service. If you do not need something, do not buy it. I remember when we were driving 10mpg cars and gas was hard to get and expensive. There were only a limited number of high mpg cars out there, and people paid a premium to get Pinto's, Vega's, Omni's and whatever foregin models were available.

At that same time I was in a sporting goods store (Hansons) and there was a big deal being made that Winchester had raised the price of their top of the line match grade .45 ammo to TEN DOLLARS! for "only 50 cartridges". (reloads were still $5.00) One man actually said he didn't want to live in a country where you had to pay $10 for a 50 box of .45acp.

And it does not matter what you call it, NO prices on ANYTHING are going down as a sustained trend. The economic policies of our government are driving the buying power out of the money. Since the early 1970's I have never observed the price of quality firearms and ammo trend down. Not only has it trended up in price, supply has been spotty at times. Don't blame the store, or the clerk that is working for a wage that will not even keep his rent paid. Ammo is going to cost more dollars. Firearms are going to cost more dollars. Shooting sports are going to be more difficult. The Government will continue to tell lies and pass laws to oppress you. That is just the facts of life at this place in time.

Blackbery's and Iphones are marketed in a manipulated panic. I do not believe the pricing or the availablities of arms are manipulated, esp. in this failing economy.

Top Bottom