• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I am going to buy myself a retirement gift of a handgun. I want either a .38sp, or a 9mm. Which has more power? The 38sp rounds are bigger than the 9mm, but I have been told that 9mm is actually more powerful. What do you think?

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    I wouldn't worry about it. Decide whether you want a semi-auto or revolver and go for the one that looks and feels best to you.

jontz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I could spit into Michigan
    The 9mm does indeed have greater muzzle energy than the .38 special. Here's some fun (or not so fun if you aren't a nerd like me) reading for you:

9mm vs 38 Special | Ballistics 101

Either cartridge will get the job done assuming that you do your part. The article highlights some of the advantages of each round. In this case most of my decision would lie in whether I wanted a revolver or a semi-auto pistol. That part is up to you.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Power, as in energy at the muzzle? Or some other measurement?

Likely depends more on the individual load, round, and which gun they are fired from.

Terminal ballistics for common cartridges has a nice, pretty graph to look at:

ballistics-ided.gif

The Arsenal

Looks like a very slight edge to 9mm.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    You can't go wrong with either cartridge. I'd fondle all the .38's and 9's you can and decide based on how they feel.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Depends what you want it for. Depends on cartridge to cartridge variables as well, such as bullet weight. The edge goes to the 9mm for being a more efficient cartridge. The .38 will push a slightly heavier bullet (up to 200 gr, vs 147 gr).

Personally, I'd go 9mm semiauto. Adequate for self-defense, range, plinking etc.

The only reason I'd go with a revolver is if I wanted to throw some handgun hunting into the mix, and then you should really go with a .357 mag, not a 38 spl.

Face it, you really NEED BOTH! Come on, you only retire once (if your lucky).

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    As stated earlier, if you do your part, both will get the job done. A .38 is small light and simple to use. But so is a 9mm. The 9 will give you greater capacity. But whichever one you shoot best is the one you need. Just practice, use good quality ammo, and get some training.

Let us know what you choose.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i think the 9mm has more power. i suggest a semi-auto in 9mm. there really is not benefit of a .38 revolver compared to a glock 19 or other 9mm semi auto if you're going to carry it. unless you just want it just to have it.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    The question is, which type of gun will you be more accurate with? Try out different manufacturers in both calibers and see what fits your hand best and then practice, practice, practice.

A .22LR hitting the target is more powerful than a .50 caliber that misses.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am going to buy myself a retirement gift of a handgun. I want either a .38sp, or a 9mm. Which has more power? The 38sp rounds are bigger than the 9mm, but I have been told that 9mm is actually more powerful. What do you think?

If you are thinking of getting a .38Special, get a .357 magnum, you can shoot .38 in it. Plus, the Magnum kicks both their *sses.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    There are a few revolvers with interchangeable cylinders that allow both 9mm and .38 Special. Not sure if they are still manufactured but might be fun to check out.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If I were buying myself a retirement gift it would not be a 9mm. Unless maybe a Browning High Power. It wouldn't be a .38 SPL either. Except maybe it if were a Colt. It would probably be a revolver. .357 Mag minimum. Probably Stainless and Rosewood.

There are a few revolvers with interchangeable cylinders that allow both 9mm and .38 Special. Not sure if they are still manufactured but might be fun to check out.

Hmmm... yeah, maybe like this one.

http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkDE/specSheets/0320.html

.357 Mag/9mm

0320.jpg

Or this...

http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkDE/specSheets/5243.html

.45 Colt/.45 ACP

5243.jpg

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you are thinking of getting a .38Special, get a .357 magnum, you can shoot .38 in it. Plus, the Magnum kicks both their *sses.

I second this^^. The 38 Special doesn't get a lot of respect but it COULD be a more comparible or better than it or the 9mm is. I read an article 20 + years ago by Wiley Clapp compairing the two. He stated the ammunition companies take care to keep the pressures down on the 38's due to the # of OLD revolvers still floating. I believe there might be some truth to what he wrote about that.

You can get some pretty good 38's from Buffalo Bore and Black hills has some that is hotter than other factory ammo.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    ^^ I'm with j on this one. Treat yourself to a .357 and practice with .38's. There are lots of really good .357's on the market, in a wide range of sizes and style. There will certainly be one out there that feels good and shoots nice for you. When you're carrying load the puppy up with .357's and you'll have a better gun than either the .38 or the 9mm. My .357's are by far my favourites, even though I don't carry them regularly. Ammo's easy to find and not too expensive, either. You wouldn't be disappointed in a good .357 revolver. Especially for a carry piece or even just a home defence gun that sits in the nightstand.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    ^^ I'm with j on this one. Treat yourself to a .357 and practice with .38's. There are lots of really good .357's on the market, in a wide range of sizes and style. There will certainly be one out there that feels good and shoots nice for you. When you're carrying load the puppy up with .357's and you'll have a better gun than either the .38 or the 9mm. My .357's are by far my favourites, even though I don't carry them regularly. Ammo's easy to find and not too expensive, either. You wouldn't be disappointed in a good .357 revolver. Especially for a carry piece or even just a home defence gun that sits in the nightstand.

Excellent advise here. A good .357 will let you shoot everything from super soft *****cat .38, .38 +P (which may be a better choice for SD/HD if it's a small frame revolver vs full power .357 loads), or .357. You get a full range of practicality.

speedster1990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Ive got a Ruger SR9c and my brother in law has a SR9.I highly recommend both of them,and they are semi auto 9mm.They can put a big hole in your target.

Top Bottom