• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I hope this episode re-enforces the need of all responsible gun owners to have a a reliable gun safe. If the mother would have locked up her toys her son would have been a useless idiot. I am tired of hearing of honest gun owners getting robbed and then there guns are used in crimes. If you can drop 1K on an AR-15 you can drop 800 on a gun safe from Amazon (free shipping). Not secureing your firearms is negligence. Worried about the bump in the night? Then buy a 120 stack-on quick action gun locker. Reach over and press your thumb on it and it opens up. No worries of your gun walking off or your kid getting a hold of your gun and blowing their brains out. This stuff is common sense.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I don't think the problem is that she didn't lock up her guns. The problem is that she didn't lock up her son.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I hope this episode re-enforces the need of all responsible gun owners to have a [/COLOR]a reliable gun safe. If the mother would have locked up her toys her son would have been a useless idiot. I am tired of hearing of honest gun owners getting robbed and then there guns are used in crimes. If you can drop 1K on an AR-15 you can drop 800 on a gun safe from Amazon (free shipping). Not secureing your firearms is negligence. Worried about the bump in the night? Then buy a 120 stack-on quick action gun locker. Reach over and press your thumb on it and it opens up. No worries of your gun walking off or your kid getting a hold of your gun and blowing their brains out. This stuff is common sense.

So is not securing your mouth (or in this case, your fingers) when you engage your brain.

Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I have a safe and my 22 year old son has no idea what the combo is to get in it. He had a bout with depression a while back. There's no way a prudent parent or person should allow anyone, let alone their offspring, to have access to a firearm in a situation like this one.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A) Firearms should be "secure", though your and my definition of secure may be different (and that is OK)

B) What evidence do you have that the firearms used in this case were not in a safe?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    So is not securing your mouth (or in this case, your fingers) when you engage your brain.

Is life so miserable that you feel it necessary to flat out insult people over the internet? Might be wise to consider taking your own advice over a cup of coffee this morning.

----

On topic... I personally think the OP makes a valid point IF... there were warning signs that this kid was troubled. There have been so many false reports out, that its hard to know what information is correct about the kid, however... many reports paint him as someone who shouldn't be "left alone".

If that is the case... and the kid was knowingly unstable, then I agree, that the parent of an unstable kid should consider restricting access to their firearms.

----

With that said... I have an eleven year old daughter who gets home from the bus 1.5 hours before I get home from work. I have a 10/22 in my closet just in case I'm not home with my EDC.... She knows how to use it and I fully trust her around it.

However, as she gets older... she gets more and more friends coming over to play/hangout and I'm considering throwing that in the safe too. They SHOULDN'T ever go in my bedroom... but better safe than sorry.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I have a safe and my 22 year old son has no idea what the combo is to get in it. He had a bout with depression a while back. There's no way a prudent parent or person should allow anyone, let alone their offspring, to have access to a firearm in a situation like this one.

Yes, because only people with a clear history of mental health should be allowed to defend themselves or others. :rolleyes:

I find it ironic that your 22y/o son can legally purchase and carry a firearm and you think keeping the combo to the safe from him is going to stop him from doing anything untoward.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Is life so miserable that you feel it necessary to flat out insult people over the internet? Might be wise to consider taking your own advice over a cup of coffee this morning.

I'm sorry. I must have missed your admonition to the OP for insulting those parents and other adults who don't live their lives the way he thinks they should.

ecross0351

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    When will ppl learn safes will only slow someone down? It's really not that hard to crack a combo lock... Or pick keyed locks...

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I'm sorry. I must have missed your admonition to the OP for insulting those parents and other adults who don't live their lives the way he thinks they should.

Has nothing to do with the post... whether you agree or not, he is an INGO member and has an opinion.

I guess we should go around and insult everyone on INGO we don't agree with. That should make for a pretty enjoyable forum....

What is the added value in that? Makes you feel better or smarter or what?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Safes are certainly a good idea, the "child" was twenty (20) years old.

What do safe do you believe would have defeated a 20 year old that went to the range with his mother?

Having an extra security measure is a worthless idea? Maybe they should edit the 4473 and add the question...

Do you have children or family members living in your house that are mentally unstable? yes / no​

What solution do you have? The OP's suggestion is that if you have children who are knowingly unstable... please be responsible enough to take added measure in keeping them separated from your firearms...

I don't see error in that logic... he doesn't say it needs to be a law. Its no different than saying...

"Responsible gun owners should teach their kids the 4 safety rules before letting them handle guns"​

Top Bottom