I'm tired of all the "price gouging"....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    crying going on.

Keep in mind this is a generalization...

I can't help but read all the posts and threads about how we're all getting gouged. Truth is, we should be getting gouged.

Until now, most people didn't want to go out and buy 5-10 extra PMags.

Until now, AR-15's and AK-47's were not so hot of a commodity.

Until now, many people were quite content with just having the 2 high cap mags that came with their gun.

Until now, handguns were plentiful. Sure, there are exceptions, such as the new guns (like the Shield). You might not have been able to find everything at your LGS, but most handguns you're looking for CAN be found at reasonable prices.

I have 120 rounds of .223 listed here on INGO for $5 over what I paid for them at Gander Mountain (and I slightly overpaid as is). I'm not trying to make a killing off people here, because I've met many of you (and have even picked up a lot of ammo for many of you during the last "shortage" a couple years ago). I have a slightly vested interest here on INGO.

But I have to be honest. What I'm not selling here is one AR, 3 PMags and 800 rounds of .223 that I made around $1,500 on by selling them on GunBroker. It took me 24 hours to sell them all at "market prices." I set each auction to start at .01 and just let it go for 24 hours. An M&P Sport AR that I purchased awhile back for $700 sold for $1600. The PMags sold for an average of $61 each. The ammo sold for .95 per round.

I have no guilt. What's wrong with anyone selling an item at an inflated price if others are willing to pay? My first priority is to myself and providing for my family. Luckily, we are in a position to not need that money, but instead, I took those profits and bought 2 new handguns and even more ammunition. I didn't have any problem finding any of it, really (at reasonable prices). It just took a little longer than it would have 5 years ago.

Threads about a LGS owner planning to take PMags to the show to sell at significantly higher prices than 'normal.' It doesn't matter if you've shopped there for years. You're not paying their bills should they close. Gun store owners likely face a lot harder times ahead than you or I. They already have taken a hit. Their shelves are empty, and if they're selling less product, then they're making less to provide for their families. What is a "hobby" for many of us, it is their livelihood. You're free to buy from wherever, but don't hold grudges against anyone for providing for their family. They are in business to make money and provide for theirs. And just as you complain that they're "gouging" you - you're the first to ask if they'll "take less" for a gun they have that you want. That is the same thing; you trying to gouge them.

Threads about no ammo being around. It's around, you just have to go to a little more effort to find it than just walking into any Wal-Mart on any given day and choosing what and how much you want to buy.

Most importantly, it's been 4 years since Obama and the "gun grabbing administration" took office. We've had 4 years to acquire all of the items people are complaining about. Truth be told, we've had many, many years to do so.

This is how it works. It's this way in nearly everything we buy. Supply and demand only happens when/if there's demand.

We've been "gouged" for decades on gas, yet we still buy it. Ya, ya.. "We need it. What can we do...." blah blah blah...

Strange how we still allow it to happen (since WE have the ultimate say in prices) but we get all up in arms about the gun industry taking advantage of the current economic conditions.

Or is it merely that we want capitalism until we perceive that we're on the sh*t end of the stick?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    crying going on.

I can't help but read all the posts and threads about how we're all getting gouged. Truth is, we should be getting gouged.

Until now, many people were quite content with just having the 2 high cap mags that came with their gun.

Until now, handguns were plentiful. Sure, there are exceptions, such as the new guns (like the Shield). You might not have been able to find everything at your LGS, but most handguns you're looking for CAN be found at reasonable prices.

I have 120 rounds of .223 listed here on INGO for $5 over what I paid for them at Gander Mountain (and I slightly overpaid as is). I'm not trying to make a killing off people here, because I've met many of you (and have even picked up a lot of ammo for many of you during the last "shortage" a couple years ago). I have a slightly vested interest here on INGO.

But I have to be honest. What I'm not selling here is one AR, 3 PMags and 800 rounds of .223 that I made around $1,500 on by selling them on GunBroker. It took me 24 hours to sell them all at "market prices." I set each auction to start at .01 and just let it go for 24 hours. An M&P Sport AR that I purchased awhile back for $700 sold for $1600. The PMags sold for an average of $61 each. The ammo sold for .95 per round.

I have no guilt. What's wrong with anyone selling an item at an inflated price if others are willing to pay? My first priority is to myself and providing for my family. Luckily, we are in a position to not need that money, but instead, I took those profits and bought 2 new handguns and even more ammunition. I didn't have any problem finding any of it, really (at reasonable prices). It just took a little longer than it would have 5 years ago.

Threads about a LGS owner planning to take PMags to the show to sell at significantly higher prices than 'normal.' It doesn't matter if you've shopped there for years. You're not paying their bills should they close. Gun store owners likely face a lot harder times ahead than you or I. They already have taken a hit. Their shelves are empty, and if they're selling less product, then they're making less to provide for their families. What is a "hobby" for many of us, it is their livelihood. You're free to buy from wherever, but don't hold grudges against anyone for providing for their family. They are in business to make money and provide for theirs. And just as you complain that they're "gouging" you - you're the first to ask if they'll "take less" for a gun they have that you want. That is the same thing; you trying to gouge them.

Threads about no ammo being around. It's around, you just have to go to a little more effort to find it than just walking into any Wal-Mart on any given day and choosing what and how much you want to buy.

Most importantly, it's been 4 years since Obama and the "gun grabbing administration" took office. We've had 4 years to acquire all of the items people are complaining about. Truth be told, we've had many, many years to do so.

This is how it works. It's this way in nearly everything we buy. Supply and demand only happens when/if there's demand.

We've been "gouged" for decades on gas, yet we still buy it. Ya, ya.. "We need it. What can we do...." blah blah blah...

Strange how we still allow it to happen (since WE have the ultimate say in prices) but we get all up in arms about the gun industry taking advantage of the current economic conditions.

Or is it merely that we want capitalism until we perceive that we're on the sh*t end of the stick?

You're a terrible person for not selling those items on here at pre panic prices. I and my buddies will forever refuse to do business with you because you wouldn't sell them here at prices that we think you should charge, even though we're unwilling to do what we expect of you.

rherron9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    good post. "gouging" isn't a bad thing in any scenario. its the market determining value. if no one was willing to pay inflated prices sellers would be forced to lower the price. obviously the market (people) have decided the value of items has increased.

jontz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I could spit into Michigan
    I completely agree with you. In the past few weeks I've bought 2 handguns, some .30-06 brass, and some powder and primers. I didn't overpay for any of it. It's a pretty simple formula really. If it's a deal, you buy it. If you think the price is inflated, then don't buy it. Nobody gets gouged. They do it to themselves with their purchase decision. If you think you need it badly enough to pay the current market price, then you pay it and you move on with your life. The seller doesn't determine the market price, the rest of us do.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Seriously if you did not see this coming long ago then I dont know what to say. Everyone should have been squared away long ago.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    good post. "gouging" isn't a bad thing in any scenario. its the market determining value. if no one was willing to pay inflated prices sellers would be forced to lower the price. obviously the market (people) have decided the value of items has increased.

Did you feel the same way a few years ago when gas was over $4.00 bucks a gal.?:dunno:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Did you feel the same way a few years ago when gas was over $4.00 bucks a gal.?:dunno:

Yes, I did while idling my car for 5 minutes in the 90+ degree heat with my A/C running full blast because that station was 2 cents cheaper than the next door station with empty pumps. Then when I got done pumping, I went inside to buy a bottle of water for $1.50.

Forget the $11 I spent on a beer at the Superbowl, it's the $4 gas that I used to get down there that killed me.

rherron9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013

yes. people were willing to pay it. if any product hits a price the market deems to high the demand will decrease. was i happy about $4 bucks a gallon? no. but i paid it and limited my travel accordingly. if the people as a whole thought it was too high demand would have dropped as would price.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Welcome to the battle, chasekerion4. The whiners across the Internet are 100x more damaging to our cause than Barack Hussein could ever be.

Pure, unbridled, American Capitalism. Supply and demand driving prices. Sellers getting absolutely every penny the market will pay. THAT'S THE WAY IT MUST BE. We don't want it any other way.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It simply amazes me how people will spend big money on things they don't NEED and throw a fit about the prices of the things they do NEED going up. I'm guessing the average smart phone monthly bill is at least $80 a month. I'm paying $120 a month for my wife and I's 2 iphones. We don't need them. Yet most people will not grumble about that bill going from $80 to $85 like they will when milk or gas goes up $1 a gallon. Why is it that it doesn't seem to hurt as much to spend our money on wants as it does needs?

dfcrane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Feb 25, 2011
    South West Indiana
    crying going on.

Excellent post and great summary of the current market conditions. I wish I had written it.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I agree 100% - the only entity I blame for the high prices, however is the idiotic Government the welfare and takers elect. Gas prices would have never hit $4.00/gal, except for the massive rules set to stop new construction of oil platforms, pipelines and refineries. As well as the restrictions on drilling. The gun prices would not have skyrocketed had we had a Government that was not intend on illegally restricting our "Rights" as outlined in our Constitution and amendments.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    yes. people were willing to pay it. if any product hits a price the market deems to high the demand will decrease. was i happy about $4 bucks a gallon? no. but i paid it and limited my travel accordingly. if the people as a whole thought it was too high demand would have dropped as would price.

Sorry guy, you just contradicted yourself. People, you included, were not "willing" to pay for it. If in fact you were you would not have limited your travel accordingly, you purchased what you needed not what you wanted.:patriot:

Some here need to know history regarding toilet paper shortage.
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index...ce-caused-a-month-long-toilet-paper-shortage/

http://www.thedailylegend.com/did-johnny-carson-cause-a-toilet-paper-shortage/

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom