• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    I have been looking for a safe for quite a while now and have my eye on a Liberty D-27. It has 12ga walls and is fire resistant for 30min @ 1200 degrees. I was wondering if anybody has experience with this safe or any safe suggestions would be helpful.

bberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Nothing wrong with a Liberty safe, been around a long time and have a good rep. can be a little pricey but still decent quality. make sure and properly bolt it to the floor, i'm sure the owners manual will explain.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Ramick,

Two (2) excellent choices are Liberty and American Security.

Whatever you choose go with an Underwriters Laboratory tested and rated safe! Anything else is pure sales propoganda!

You do NOT want to spend loads of money to "feel" secure, you want to "be" secure. You will see a LOT of safe websites with videos showing very exciting things to "prove" their safes are good. Those videos don't prove squat! Get something that has been tested by UL as they are not trying to sell you anything.

Another good safe manufacturer is Brown, but in my research they were a bit pricey.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Doug

Soupcan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    To Ramick,

Two (2) excellent choices are Liberty and American Security.

Whatever you choose go with an Underwriters Laboratory tested and rated safe! Anything else is pure sales propoganda!

You do NOT want to spend loads of money to "feel" secure, you want to "be" secure. You will see a LOT of safe websites with videos showing very exciting things to "prove" their safes are good. Those videos don't prove squat! Get something that has been tested by UL as they are not trying to sell you anything.

Another good safe manufacturer is Brown, but in my research they were a bit pricey.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Doug

Does the entire safe need to be UL tested or just the lock? I too am in the market but very much new to safes.

digitalphoenix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    In a cornfield.
    I was thinking about getting a Stack on from Gander soon. When dad passed away, we didn't know the combo for the lock. Luckily, his friend is a locksmith. Took him about a month to figure it out.

500 bucks for a safe sounds reasonable

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    What is everyone's thoughts about a good handgun safe? I don't own any long guns but do have several hand guns that are now in multiple cases. Are there any safes that can hold more than 6+ handguns?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Does the entire safe need to be UL tested or just the lock? I too am in the market but very much new to safes.

Soupcan,

The whole safe chief. They test it to a level that is actually trying to overcome the safes defenses in a scientific and thorough manner.

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtbGUbeM860

Here is a nonprofessional video showing just how easy it can be for someone to bust into a nontested safe. NOTE: This video is not scientific but gives a basic idea of what criminals could do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M

It is actually quite scary to think that the best rating most people will get is a TL30 from UL. This means that UL couldn't get into the safe in less than 30 minutes. That was the first video. A TL30 safe will run several thousand dollars, minimum.

If you really need to provide security layers of protection are required. Strong doors and windows. A security system. Perhaps a dog. There are other things as well but the fact is with limitless time any security will be breached.

All that said, the vast majority of home burglaries are "smash and grab" jobs that most safes will stop. To stop more competent thieves greater protection is required.

Regards,

Doug

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Something else to consider once you have a safe. Make sure it is dry inside. A lot of these safes are shipped from other climates which will cause moisture to build up inside of them. If you have moisture in your safe and put a warming rod in it you are just stirring up moisture until it finally dissipates.

A member here had a problem with his guns rusting in his new safe.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Started with a Cannon, no problems to speak of but I out grew it. I then upgraded to a Liberty and its worth every penny. I still use the Cannon for ammo and reloading componets.

Are there any safes that can hold more than 6+ handguns?

The Liberty and Cannon that I have each hold 8 handguns on the inside of the door.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Whatever you buy, buy one twice as big as you think you'll need! I bought my 10 gun safe, back when I only had 4 long guns, and have long since outgrown it!

ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    Thanks for all the info, I think I will go and look at it again tomorrow. I really just want one that will prevent a smash and grab. If they really want it they can cut it open with the tools in my garage. Also this particular safe is 2/3rds more capacity than my current collection. So there is room to grow. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Thanks for all the info, I think I will go and look at it again tomorrow. I really just want one that will prevent a smash and grab. If they really want it they can cut it open with the tools in my garage. Also this particular safe is 2/3rds more capacity than my current collection. So there is room to grow. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Youll be surprised how quickly it fills up... not just because youll buy more guns to fill it up, but because most guns take up more than one spot. anything with a scope generally takes up two spots. side charging handles take up some extra room as well, but that can be worked around as long as your careful as to not ding up the finish on your guns. I've got a 24 gun safe currently with 11 long guns in it things get pretty tight. I'm constantly moving guns out to get to ones in the back. I could probably stick two more bolt or semi auto rifles in there without too much of a hassle or I could cram 4 or 5 more lever action or pump shot guns in there. but absolutely no way I could fit 24 guns in the darn thing. I did get a hell of a deal on it though and will use it for ammo once I get a nice big safe with a ridiculous capacity

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Liberty is good but johnson will bring it to your home and put it in the basement for you. That was a big plus to me when your dealing with something over 1000 lbs.

bthacker24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I worked for jeff johnson for awhile. I would highly recommend him. He knows what he is doing and makes cery high quality products for fair prices. Couldnt recommend him enough.

Top Bottom