• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    I sold a pistol to a dealer at the 1500 this last weekend.
    The dealer said'we will get this gun out of your name.'
    Do dealers notifie Batfe of their purchases from the public?
    I don't want to get in trouble for selling off part of my
    collection. I'm not trying to make a living off of them, just
    thinning out the ones I have not shot in a while.
    Mike.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    The BATF has no record of you owning that particular weapon. Unless you for some unknown reason had in the past called them and told them you owned it, and gave them the serial number.

If you bought it through a dealer and filled out a 4473, when they called for the background check all they told them was that you were buying a handgun/longgun.

Did you get a bill of sale or some form of reciept from the dealer indicating that you sold them a firearm with serial number xxxxx? If so you are good to go. If not you are still good to go.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I sold a pistol to a dealer at the 1500 this last weekend.
    The dealer said 'we will get this gun out of your name.'
    Do dealers notify Batfe of their purchases from the public?
    I don't want to get in trouble for selling off part of my
    collection. I'm not trying to make a living off of them, just
    thinning out the ones I have not shot in a while.
    Mike.

:tinfoil:

With all this gun registration and 'off the books' hoopla he comment doesn't surprise me. The dealer will have a record (in HIS possession) when he sells the firearm. That's all there is too it.

Relax, you're cool.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Mike, No, dealers do not notify anyone when they purchase a gun. They do keep a record though of all sales and purchases.
    The dealer fed you a line of:poop:!
    Keep in mind that you will always get more money from an individual than you will from a dealer! Just like selling a vehicle.
    You know we have a classifieds here right?
    And I would personally not ever again deal with someone who outright LIED to me!
    It's up to you, but consider telling us who this "dealer" is.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    The BATF has no record of you owning that particular weapon.

I am not so sure about this. The week before Christmas, a buddy of mine in Mooresville got a call from the ATF, wanting to ask him some questions concerning a handgun he had traded to a dealer at the Jan 2012 Indy 1500. He refused to meet them, so an agent from Chicago drove to Mooresville and questioned him on the handgun, since it had been used in the commission of a crime in Chicago. He showed the reciept for the trade, which had both the traded handgun and the purchased rifle serial numbers, on the dealers letterhead. ATF agent still requested to see other firearms, which he refused (in fact, he did not let them in the door), and the agent went away very unhappy.

So riddle me this, how did the Chicago ATF office trace this firearm back to him, AFTER it went back to a dealer? :dunno:

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    I'm not an expert in this stuff, but I would assume if a weapon is used in a crime, the BATF would contact the Mfg. with the serial no., and start to follow the trail from Mfg, to Distributor, to Dealer to Original purchaser and so on. I'm sure they went to the Dealer that your buddy sold the gun to next. That's why it's good to keep records of purchases and sales so you can c-y-a. My understanding is that if a 4473 was filled out, that FFL holder has to maintain a book of transactions until he closes shop and then it has to be sent in to the Feds.

I'm wondering what happens when the gun is sold in a FTF between un-licensed seller/buyers without any paperwork be keep (suggested, but not mandatory). I'm assuming the gun trail stops at that point and it's lost forever??? In this situation a firearm could be resold many times, and perhaps illegally sold across State lines and end up in Chi town. If it never gets sold to or though a dealer again, how would there be no way to follow it. I think this is the reason folks in DC want to stop FTF sales without requiring background checks.

Last edited:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    And did this dealer mention anything about an extra fee for getting your name off the gun? Or was it going to be complementary? :rolleyes:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So riddle me this, how did the Chicago ATF office trace this firearm back to him, AFTER it went back to a dealer? :dunno:

Where did your friend buy the gun? I'd imagine that he bought it and filled out a F4473 when doing so. If that's the case, the BATFE traced it from the Mfgr. to the distributor to the dealer and to your friend.

I'd wager the agent then went to the buying dealer after talking to your friend.

Top Bottom