• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Momof6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Wayne County, IN
    I live in Richmond with one little gun shop. I'm looking for my first carry gun and thought it would be fun to head to Indy for the day and visit several different gun shops. I'd definitely like to check out Bradis since they are so highly regarded, but what I really want to do is hit at least one store that allows you to rent guns so I can really get a feel for different guns. Give me some recommendations please. We could go either highway 40 or interstate 70, whichever gives us the most options of shops.

And yes, I've tried searching, and I'm getting plenty of names but not finding what I'm looking for as far as renting. And yes, I'm reading the gun shop list thread slowly but surely.

Thanks!

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Indiana Gun Club doesn't rent guns but I do believe they have a better than average selection of handguns. And . . . they have a much more "user friendly" staff compared to the people I've experienced at places like Gander Mountain and other similar "gun shops"

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    The only decent shop in town that has rentals and a range is Indy Trading Post . They are on the south side .

Bradis is a good shop on the west side along with PSS and Ft. Liberty .

Elmore's is down in Greenwood .

I wouldn't go to POP's or Don's if I were bringing a family though .

dangerranger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Checkout Highsmith as well. Nice new range, good staff, and they rent. Selection at most shops is thin. Also second the Indiana Gun club, only two blocks from my place unfortunately shotgun only outdoor. Shop guys are nice as well.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Highsmith,Bradis and PSS would be on my list of stops but Indy Trading Post would be your best bet for renting. They are busy at times but have the largest selection to choose from. All the staff are friendly,helpful and go out of their way to please without any pressure.

Hoosier Daddy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Checkout Highsmith as well. Nice new range, good staff, and they rent. Selection at most shops is thin.

I'll second that. Range with rentals and they are on your way. They're in Greenfield on SR9 between 70 and 40. ---> MAP <---

And since you're coming all this way, you should stop in Beech Grove Firearms. They have a a nice, new range. I'm not sure if they have the rental thing going yet. This is also the place with the giant INGO mural on the wall.
    icon12.gif

Hoosier Daddy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Oh, and there is one in Hagerstown too. Big Daddy Guns or something like that. I've heard good things about them, but I've haven't made it out there yet.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    A buddy and myself did this a while back while being in Indy. We decideded to compile a list of some shops based on websites along with recommendations on INGO. Our personal favorite was Elmore' in Greenwood.

We got there a half hour before they opened and was debating on leaving and coming back when they opened. So we thought maybe we could call and ask if we could come in. They said, "sure, but we don't have out pistols out with getting the store ready for opening, but we can let you in." We didn't care, we were just happy they let us in to check things out. A++ to Elmore's

russ1416807

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Highsmith employees are rude!!!

I walked in for my second visit to buy a .357 lever I saw during my first visit. I was in the shop less than 2 mins and was rudely interupted while on my phone by an employee asking in a very rude way, "you ok?". Not sure why he was asking in the way he was asking and some what stunned by his approach, I just starred back, befuddled. To which he responded, We're trying to sell guns here, its not a flower shop." Having no clue wtf just happened i began to walk out. As I was making my exit, thinking about the disrespect i was handed and getting madder by the second, another employee, still snickering over the rude display and smircking asked if I needed something. My response....Not a thing from this place and you can say goodbye to the $500 sale you just lost.

I will never walk through their doors again.

Fester

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Greenfield
    I have been to Highsmith a dozen times and purchased my XDS from them. One wasn't in stock but they ordered it and called when it came in. They have always been very friendly to me, even taking time to chat about things not related to guns.
    That being said, Pop's Guns at Post Rd and Washington has only 1 decent employee that doesn't give you attitude. Unless the first 3 words out of your mouth are "Let me see...", they don't want to be bothered. The firing range is small and always packed. I shot a rental Glock there and it jammed on me twice in 50 rounds. The employee that assisted with the jams made it look like my fault and not because the gun was nasty as hell. Honestly, they have talked themselves out of about $2K in sales from me.

Top Bottom