• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    FYI, no telephone number is now required from the buyer.

A couple of weeks ago a former client advised that Gander Mountain in Lafayette demanded a phone number from prospective buyers before they could leave with a firearm. Puzzled, I asked what authority Gander Mountain cited and he reported "ATF rules".

Yesterday I decided to check for myself. At lunch went to purchase a pistol and was told that I MUST have a telephone number. I refused and asked for the reason. "ATF policy". I asked to see it and got blank looks.

I was then told "store policy". I asked for the store policy in writing and was told flat out that it was not in writing. I asked for the store manager, but received his card.

Today I called and spoke to the store manager of the Lafayette store. He related more "ATF policy". I asked for the citation and, to his credit, he responded that he would call ATFE.

He called me back in 15 minutes and told me that it was not ATF policy and I could come in and pick up the revolver. I went in over lunch and, while I had to fill out another 4473, picked up my new handgun. Gander Mountain did offer to provide free ammunition (I declined) for the inconvenience. Both the store manager and department head were apologetic and advised that re-training would be offered to its employees. I asked that other stores be advised on this non-"requirement".

Oh, yeah, the pistol is a new Smith M48. Tony Miele of Smith told me at the St. Louis annual meeting that the new M48s were the new hotness over the old and busted tooling that was used in the past.

We shall see this weekend.:D

Last edited:

ashenfang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    good job on your diligence to "prove a point". Although I could have seen this go the other way as well. Once they were told that it was NOT an ATF requirement, the store could simply site "store policy". Even though most would not agree with it, it would be at the stores directive. Kind of a "if you don't like it, you don't have to shop here", but, the store was wise for business purposes to agree with your argument.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Oh, yeah, the pistol is a new Smith M48. Tony Miele of Smith told me at the St. Louis annual meeting that the new M48s were the new hotness over the old and busted tooling that was used in the past.

We shall see this weekend.:D

old and busted tooling eh? .22 mag revolver, correct? I looked at a new one this past weekend but still have trouble aesthetically with the lock. Was it a 6"

Most shops in my area ask for a phone # on the 4473 but don't lie about it. They A) want you in their data base and B) want a contact number in case BAT(M)FE* cites them for an error on the form

* Note: BAT(M)FE is the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Marijuana, Firearms and Explosives as proposed in the bill introduced to legalize it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    utf-8BRmFpcmZpZWxkLTIwMTMwMjA3LTAwMTM4LmpwZw_zpsbf0718fa.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    old and busted tooling eh?

Yes, I was bellyaching to Tony in St. Louis about how I could never get a 48 to run. I have even sent them back to Massachusetts to re-drill charge holes, nothing worked.

Tony shook his head and told me to get one of the new ones as both the 48s and 651s were made on worn machinery. Well, after a few months I finally did.

Have not shot it yet but I have a pile of .22 mag I need to reduce.:D

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes, I was bellyaching to Tony in St. Louis about how I could never get a 48 to run. I have even sent them back to Massachusetts to re-drill charge holes, nothing worked.

Tony shook his head and told me to get one of the new ones as both the 48s and 651s were made on worn machinery. Well, after a few months I finally did.

Have not shot it yet but I have a pile of .22 mag I need to reduce.:D

So what is being made on the old worn machinery now? The Sigma series? :D

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Nice work calling them out for their BS...I would have just wrote down (317) 867-5309 It always works in the Marsh checkout line!

Top Bottom