• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Okay, so I'm a sci-fi nut, a physicist by training, and so I'm always on the look out for new whiz bang technologies that could be easily repurposed, or otherwise applied to purposes other than those the inventor/discoverer had in mind. For instance, a group discovered that if you cryogenicly anneal metal machine parts (i.e., chill them down to liquid nitrogen temps and then slowly return them to room temp), they have greatly increased durability. They like to give away disposable razors that they've treated this way, and the razors never get dull. When I started thinking about home CNC milling for the purpose of, among a thousand other things, making a handful of ARs for personal use, I immediately started thinking that I would want to subject all of my ARs' parts to this process.

Now, I've discovered another 21st century technology and am wondering what INGO thinks of it for firearm applications.

Next Time Your Mom Says Don't Go Out in The Rain, Spray Yourself With This : Krulwich Wonders... : NPR

It's a nanoscale compound that makes the surface it's adhered to "superhydrophobic". WD-40's got nothing on the water displacement powers of this coating. One major issue is it also repels "refined oils". Would that matter if there was no possibility of water intrusion causing corrosion? It might not stand up too well under friction, though. Perhaps where a bolt or slide rubs back and forth over a receiver would become susceptible to water and corrosion quickly, but since the rest of the gun would have long since flung off any gun oil, there would be none to protect those abraded areas. I would also have a question of the nano coating's durability under high heat. No point in coating a barrel that'll reach 400° with the first mag dump if this coating will cook off at 300°.

If it survives abrasion and UV and everything else, I would love an entire wardrobe treated with this stuff.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Before they showed the boots, iwas thinking itd be great for footwear. I can also see the military applying this to BDU's, bullets and cartridges, firearms, drones, aircraft, helicopter blades, electronics.

Roof tiles, instant condom?, auto paint and windshield finish (no more windshield wipers)

I could go on. I think theyre using this on cell phones right now.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Wow, the narrative directly under the video demonstrates a lack of understanding of basic principals of physics. (The narrative where the author discusses questions he has found others asking.)

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Their misuse of "trolling internet sites" annoys me.

I want to coat my work shirts with that stuff. Spill coffee on yourself in the morning? Not a problem.

Ectoman86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Wonder if it's similar to Liquipel. Interesting idea. Wonder how well it stands up to abuse. Saw it on the hammer and my first thought is...would it work after HITTING something. Same with shoe...too many flex points for it to remain. Will have to keep my eye on its development though. Could find some great uses with camping gear

Top Bottom