• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    The key differences betwee the SP101 4.2 357 mag and GP100 4" are weight and capacity. The SP101 is much lighter but carries 5 rounds compared to 6 with the GP100. They both will shoot any .357mag, .38spl, and .38spl+p. If I was not going to carry it and use it at the range or for home defense I would go with the GP100. They do make a half lug GP100 4" which is hard to find but really sweet looking.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    GP100 would be my choice as well.

The fact that it was one of my favorite guns and the first handgun i ever bought has nothing to do with my choice. :D

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The discontinued Ruger Security Six ! :D

Seriously, I have all (3) and the Security Six is really my favorite....

To answer your question though... If I were to ever carry one daily, I'd chose my SP101 because it's smaller and weighs less. For the range, there is no comparison... I clearly prefer my 6 in GP100.... Now, going back to the Security Six... It's the perfect Ruger right between the (2) you mentioned...

You really can't go wrong. Both are great choices.

barackalypse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    mbaza3,

Thanks for the reply. I am mainly interested in home defense, so I'm leaning towards the GP100 4", but it would be nice to have the option for CC, minus the additional round. Due to the buying frenzy right now, I haven't been able to find either in stock anywhere.
    Are there any sites or stores with either available right now?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    mbaza3,

Thanks for the reply. I am mainly interested in home defense, so I'm leaning towards the GP100 4", but it would be nice to have the option for CC, minus the additional round. Due to the buying frenzy right now, I haven't been able to find either in stock anywhere.

If in fact you do think it might pull double duty, I would give the Security Six a look also. All the Rugers are built like tanks, so don't be afraid to maybe consider looking at nice, used ones.

If you are rather new to revolvers, remember, you can drastically change how the revolver feels in your hand by your grip selection... Be sure to shop around and look at more than (1) option.

barackalypse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    XtremeVel,
    Thanks. I had not heard of the security six (I'm a bit of a newb). It looks awesome. But it wasn't made after 1988.

Will it really take 9mm rugar? Will anyone part with theirs?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    mbaza3,

Well, to add to your confusion you can get a 6 round SP101 in .327 magnum. :D
    As a bonus you can shoot 32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 HR Magnum, and .327 Magnum out of the same gun.

I have a SP101 in 357 now, I have had a GP100. The GP was built heavier, larger frame etc. It would still carry well in a good belt holster.
    While a little heavy, you can pocket carry a SP101.
    I have a Desantis nemesis pocket holster for the SP101.

I believe so if it has been converted to use moonclips for the autorim.

barackalypse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Hi printcraft,

I saw the .327 mag with a 7 round cap. and was interested. But, again, it was impossible to find.

How does the .327 mag compare to the .357 mag for stopping power?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    XtremeVel,
    Thanks. I had not heard of the security six (I'm a bit of a newb). It looks awesome. But it wasn't made after 1988.

Yes, it was discontinued, but they made many and there are a lot of them out there in good shape.

No, they will not shoot 9mm. They do or did make a SP101 for 9mm . IDK if they ever made a Security Six or GP100 in 9mm though...

Ruger does make their single action line ( Blackhawk) that you can get with an additional cylinder. They call this their convertibles. In their .357, they offer a 9mm cylinder, thus allowing you to shoot .38 special and .357 mag out of one cylinder and a quick change and you can shoot 9mm out of the other cylinder. But again, this is their SINGLE action line of revolvers....

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Here are some quick numbers I found.

.327 Fed Magnum compared to .357 Magnum compared to 9MM
    .327 Mag........ 115 GDJHP.......1300 fps.....431 ft-lbs of energy
    .327 Mag.........100 JSP...........1400 fps.....435 ft-lbs of energy
    .357 Mag.........110 JHP...........1300 fps.....410 ft-lbs of energy
    9MM Luger.......115+p+ JHP......1300 fps.....431 ft-lbs of energy

Looks like all deliver around the same energy, but, as I understand it, the recoil of the .327 Mag is significantly more manageable.

Shooting 85 JHP .327 Mag compared to .32 Mag

85 JHP........327 Mag......1400 fps....370 ft-lbs of energy
    85 JHP.........32 Mag.......1100 fps....230 ft-lbs of energy

My source was page 57 of GUNS MAGAZINE, Nov 2008 issue. It contains a good article on the .327 Fed Mag, as well as, Ruger's LCP.

Personally, I would stick with .357
    1. It's not ever going away.
    2. It's not an oddball caliber, (357SIG, 45GAP, 10mm) rarer means more expensive typically.
    3. You can shoot a wide range of ammo out of the same gun.
    Bullet type/shape, weight, .357,38+p,38
    4. More popular for the above reasons for resale.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hi printcraft,

I saw the .327 mag with a 7 round cap. and was interested. But, again, it was impossible to find.

How does the .327 mag compare to the .357 mag for stopping power?

I honestly don't know about the comparison, but I would be more concerned about price/availability of the .327 ammo and also availability of bullet selection weights. The .38/.357 have been around for years and have a huge selection of various weights for different applications.

barackalypse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Thanks, printcraft, XtremeVel. Those were my thoughts, exactly. I want a common, cheap round and a pistol that can take the most variety, with the most stopping power.

Now if I can just find one. I wish I had gotten one a few months ago, when I was originally thinking about it.

Top Bottom