• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My son is 10 and began shooting with me this year. Until today, He's only shot my ruger 10/22. He finally got to shoot his own ruger 10/22 (christmas present) for the first time. We've been waiting forever for a 40+ degree day to shoot, and today that day finally came.

He learned how to shoot a few rounds through a new gun, function check, and sight in a scope... all the while, having fun and it was all about him. Dad didn't send any rounds down range until he was done shooting (mor eon that in a sec).

He's had a gingerbread house (school project he did) he's been saving for this occasion for quite some time! We spent about 20 rounds sighting his red dot scope in, and finally let him have at it! lol, too funny watching his eyes light up, and giggling at the house as it gets blown to bits.

What was really special, is I have always asked if he's wanted to try the M&P22 pistol. Never pressured him, but always asked. Until today, he's always said 'Naw... I'm done'. Today he said 'I'll try it one time' and I just smiled because I knew what was to come.

After the first round, he said "Wow... that's not much louder than the rifle at all. I'm not sure what I was afraid of. Can I shoot it again?"

It. Was. Awesome.

his 'assault rifle':
    IMG_1354.jpg

10 yr old review" Mixed on the red dot. He likes being able to shoot with both eyes open, but perhaps he needs to "grow into it" (in his words lol) when compared to the tech sights he's used to shooting

6mm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Thanks for raising him right! Some of my favorite memories are of my dad teaching me how to shoot!

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    Truly awesome, hope you got some pic’s to show him when he gets older.

Just wait… it will be no time before he’ll want to advance once he sees’ what dad uses at the range

Trust me my two crumb-snatchers are always wanting to play with the big boy toys!

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    I had a similar time with my youngest son about 8 yrs ago. hes now 20, and still shoots with me. his older brother isn't into guns. now, my 8 yr. old grandson, and his 11 yr. old sister, are both wanting to go shooting with me. im planning on taking the granddaughter out soon, and starting her with my old westernauto .22. she also wants to shoot the wifes .380. I looking foreward to the opportunity. they do grow up all too fast, enjoy this time with your son.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Our camera battery was dead (or so I thought, as now it seems non responsive when trying to charge it up). Thankfully I have some video from earlier this year.

I did put some pistol rounds downrange, after his first mag, I was demonstrating why/how the grip works for a few rounds, then let him back at it. I am a little surprised he took to the pistol as well as he did. He seemed to enjoy it more than I expected.

This summer, I plan to take him to an appleseed (I've been anticipating such a father/son bonding event since my first appleseed last fall). In fact, today I got to touch on natural point of aim, and shooting on his respiratory pause when he mentioned the barrel was moving along with his breathing.

Smokeeater

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Warsaw
    Enjoy it now, before long they are so busy with other things that spending quality time with family gets left behind. Still remember the good old days with my dad.

Top Bottom