• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Safes or gun lockers? What do you use? Pix

Just read a thread about gun thefts. What do you guys do to secure your weapons. Post below

Step 1

e7zbq0.jpg

Step 2

20ghaq.jpg

Last edited:

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    wheres the long guns?

besides that, my locker is as far from a viable exit as it can be. bolted to the wall.

They stay inside the closet. I only have a sks an its at the gun smiths. So they are only locked down with the code lock to get into closet

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That's fine but they won't pop these pins or get the bolted safe up

33l2q74.jpg

That begs the question of why have the lock on the door then? Who needs security when the object cannot be stolen?

Plus, it adds intrigue and will make them seek out the room to search. Security through obscurity. Toss an old sweatshirt over the safe or something similar

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    That begs the question of why have the lock on the door then? Who needs security when the object cannot be stolen?

Plus, it adds intrigue and will make them seek out the room to search. Security through obscurity. Toss an old sweatshirt over the safe or something similar

I have a 4 year old daughter and entertain in my basement just a extra layer of security

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Mine are, unfortunately, stored in a locking gun cabinet at this time. They are far out of the way where people would not look, but I am still not comfortable with it. I need to purchase a nice safe. Ammo is stored in a basement section that is well out of sight.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Mine are, unfortunately, stored in a locking gun cabinet at this time. They are far out of the way where people would not look, but I am still not comfortable with it. I need to purchase a nice safe. Ammo is stored in a basement section that is well out of sight.

Check Craigslist and eBay for safes it always seems they go for pennies on the dollar second hand and if in your area or your willing to drive great deals are to be had

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    The closet door doesn't appear to be much of anything secure. If anything the lock brings more attention to that room if someone were to break in, they would probably go there first and spend all their time in there.

If someone is prepared or determined, it looks like someone could get a pry bar in there from the top and pry it open.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    The closet door doesn't appear to be much of anything secure. If anything the lock brings more attention to that room if someone were to break in, they would probably go there first and spend all their time in there.

If someone is prepared or determined, it looks like someone could get a pry bar in there from the top and pry it open.

Haha it's a deterrent for my daughter. Trust me its a 600lb Melink safe you will need a lot more then a pry bar and some free time to get in but I invite you to stop by and check out anytime. I didn't start this thread to dissect my security I started to see what everyone else des to keep their weapons secure and out of reach

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Nice lock.

Too bad the crooks are just going to pop the pins out of those hinges.

True, if the hinges are on the same side as the guy trying to get in it's not ideal... HOWEVER... Pin your hinges... Open the door and remove one screw from each hinge and replace with a screw-stud... ie. a screw without a head and leave it sticking out a half inch or so. This end will fit into the hole on the adjoining plate of the hinge when closed and definitely slow down anyone trying to pop pins and remove the door. It won't keep them out indefinitely, but it WILL slow them down. Most scum-bags doing a B&E are looking for *easy* ...anything that looks like work will require time they may not have... or they may just come back later. Go look up "Pin your hinges" or "door jamb pins". This helps but will not stop a determined SOB.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    True, if the hinges are on the same side as the guy trying to get in it's not ideal... HOWEVER... Pin your hinges... Open the door and remove one screw from each hinge and replace with a screw-stud... ie. a screw without a head and leave it sticking out a half inch or so. This end will fit into the hole on the adjoining plate of the hinge when closed and definitely slow down anyone trying to pop pins and remove the door. It won't keep them out indefinitely, but it WILL slow them down. Most scum-bags doing a B&E are looking for *easy* ...anything that looks like work will require time they may not have... or they may just come back later. Go look up "Pin your hinges" or "door jamb pins". This helps but will not stop a determined SOB.

Thanks but honestly the only long gun I keep behind that door is a norinco sks. As long as my hand guns fit in my Melink safe and my daughter can't get back there I feel secure. Then there's the cameras all over which is a deterrent anyway.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    In my line of work ATM's that weigh more then your safe and are alarmed and bolted down still get stolen. Once they are gone the crooks have plenty of time to get into them. Best bet is to prevent them from leaving in the first place. A hidden safe would work much better.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    In my line of work ATM's that weigh more then your safe and are alarmed and bolted down still get stolen. Once they are gone the crooks have plenty of time to get into them. Best bet is to prevent them from leaving in the first place. A hidden safe would work much better.

Most ATMs aren't in basements and under a flight of stairs. No way your average B/E tweeker will even touch this. House is 4000 sq ft they will be looking for the easy stuff

Top Bottom