• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have a pack of tiny rare earth magnets, i dropped one and it stuck to the slide of my G19. this gave me the bright idea of putting a lot more on it. I put about a dozen of the magnets on the side of the slide and stuck the gun to the side of the fridge, the gun held fast right in the position i placed it and it was tough to pull off. I am going to use this as a way to mount my gun under a counter but first want to see if there are any negative effects of having these powerful magnets stuck to my gun long term?

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I used to use rare earth magnets with a handkerchief over them to hold my pistol to my bedside table. Never hurt it, but there was the cloth barrier.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Overtime, you could impart a small amount of magnetic charge in the weapon. Take a screw driver and rub it against a strong magnet a few times, near the tip. The tip will now have a slight magnetic charge, and it will hold onto screws.

A magnetic charge should not pose any significant problems, but it could ever so slightly impede the various internal parts from sliding or actuating properly. Difficult to say for sure though.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    IMG00017_zpsf523ab2e.jpg

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a few of the fast holsters as well. One has been holding a snub nosed 38 for a few years... easy access and easy re-secure. They are coated as well so no finish harm.

The also have stronger ones for larger things like shotguns. Only have one of those, and it won't secure mine. Maybe I will grab another one at the next show.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    As stated, you may eventually impart a small magnetic charge on the gun and it's possible that it will pick up small ferrouse metal particles that "cling" to it, but the risk is low. It is quite common for soldiers to use magnets on weapons for various reasons overseas. It was a big thing when I was over there. They used them for anything from magnets in their holster to secure the weapon better to magnets at their side so when they sling their weapon it won't "flop around".

Top Bottom