Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Strong magnets and guns...

I have a pack of tiny rare earth magnets, i dropped one and it stuck to the slide of my G19. this gave me the bright idea of putting a lot more on it. I put about a dozen of the magnets on the side of the slide and stuck the gun to the side of the fridge, the gun held fast right in the position i placed it and it was tough to pull off. I am going to use this as a way to mount my gun under a counter but first want to see if there are any negative effects of having these powerful magnets stuck to my gun long term?
    sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

User Info Menu

I used to use rare earth magnets with a handkerchief over them to hold my pistol to my bedside table. Never hurt it, but there was the cloth barrier.

User Info Menu

I have a shotgun hanging on the back of my safe like that. You can even hang mags up if there is enough iron in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
    The bunny is legion. It cannot be banned.
    I cut grass for a living

Expert

User Info Menu

Lead is non ferrous, so I think you're good.
    Why? Why? Why?

Shooter

User Info Menu

Didn't you see Indiana Jones? The gunpowder will be magnetized and shift toward the magnets and then your bullet will come out sideways!

User Info Menu

There's a company I've seen at gun shows selling a magnetic mount.

I can't imagine any issues with it except finish wear.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Overtime, you could impart a small amount of magnetic charge in the weapon. Take a screw driver and rub it against a strong magnet a few times, near the tip. The tip will now have a slight magnetic charge, and it will hold onto screws.

A magnetic charge should not pose any significant problems, but it could ever so slightly impede the various internal parts from sliding or actuating properly. Difficult to say for sure though.

User Info Menu

I have some friends who use magnets to help mount HD weapons throughout their house (no kids or regular visitors to the home)

No issues so far
    Shut up and color!

User Info Menu

sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RabbleRouser View Post
    Oh. What a nice magnet you have there.
    LT6 ^ UA 440 ^ #514, F. & A.M.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast