• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grunt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I recently read a post here about the largest gun store in Kentucky. I did a thread search looking for the largest gun store in Indiana and didn't find a thread.

I did search using a popular search engine and came up with the largest gun stores in Bedford and Elkhart, but I'm not confident with the search results.

I'd like to go visit the largest gun store in Indiana and maybe spend some $$$$ that will stay in Indiana.

Who and where is the largest gun store in Indiana?

Here is the link to the largest gun store in Kentucky to give you an idea of what I hope to find in Indiana: Whittaker Guns

I'd like to find a store with the most guns and most ammo with reasonable prices.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Well... Down here in SW Indiana it's a toss up between 2 gun stores.

Dave's Gun shop in Holland, and
    Meeks Guns in Ft. Branch

Still small compared to Whittaker's.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    My vote for the strangest gun store in Kentucky goes to Biff's Gun World.

As for the largest in Indiana, well you got me. There is not one gun shop in Indiana that even comes close to Wittaker's.

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    Wow, that Whittakers is impressive. Is it difficult to buy in KY if your a resident of IN? Never tried and am curious. Huge store and it Would be a nice road trip if its hassle free.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Wow, that Whittakers is impressive. Is it difficult to buy in KY if your a resident of IN? Never tried and am curious. Huge store and it Would be a nice road trip if its hassle free.

I've bought quite a few guns from them. Long guns are bought the same way they are here. Buy them and walk out with them. Handguns must be transferred. If you're not Evansville area, you must have them shipped to an FFL. Or if you prefer to pick up in Evansville, they have a guy that picks up "transfers" every Saturday afternoon and does the 4473 at his shop in Evansville whenever you pick it up. He charges $20 for the entire transfer (transport/shipping included).

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    I believe that it would have to be Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka. They also have a smaller store in Elkhart.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We are defining "largest" as number of guns for sale?

Got to be a Gander Mountain.

I have yet not to hear "we can order whatever you want" in any Indiana gun store. In fact, there should be a gun store in Indiana with that name.:D

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Fetla's or Fleta's up by Valpo used to be biggest in indiana - not sure now - maybe the big bass pro up by Indiana Michigan border by the lake

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I've bought quite a few guns from them. Long guns are bought the same way they are here. Buy them and walk out with them. Handguns must be transferred. If you're not Evansville area, you must have them shipped to an FFL. Or if you prefer to pick up in Evansville, they have a guy that picks up "transfers" every Saturday afternoon and does the 4473 at his shop in Evansville whenever you pick it up. He charges $20 for the entire transfer (transport/shipping included).

I call J&S Guns, the guy that does the transfers, my Courtesy Crack Dealer. It sucks living 45 minutes from Whittakers. I go to Owensboro for work four or five times a year and it gets expensive.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I'm going with Cabela's in Hammond. Midwest Gun Exchange has more floor space dedicated to guns, but (in a non frenzied world) Cabela's has more on display. All the rifles along the top wall all around MGE are a private owners and not for sale. Their rifle wall is spread out. Their handgun cabinets are only stacked 2 high.

Cabela's packs their guns tightly. The rifles are displayed more efficiently, harder to make out, but far more inventory. The handgun counters are stacked 4 to 5 guns high and closer together. Add to that, the Gun Library, which is packed full of guns basically in the same manner. They pay people LOTS of money to make the most out of a square foot in that place!

If we are going for square footage, MGE wins. If we're going for amount displayed, amount in stock, Cabela's by a long shot.

Last edited:

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    That was one of the results of my search; the other was Cosner's Gunshop in Bedford.

I just visited Cosnner's a couple weeks ago. Nice shop, but small compared to Dave's in Holland and Meek's in Fort Branch.

Both Dave's and Meek's have remodeled and expanded in the past year.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Don says he has the largest inventory in America right on his website :D So that would make him the biggest in Indiana.
    It also says that Don's is the oldest gun range in America. (40 years only)
    haha

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I've only been to Biff's once. He's got inventory for sure. The store is laid out like a dump. There is stuff every where. It's like they are hoarders and don't want to sell anything. The prices are not the greatest. Everything is dusty or has some mold on in there. It's just something that one has to experience for themselves.

Top Bottom