Why are conservation clubs called that and not gun clubs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Serious question as this came up on another forum.

This was a reply to my idea maybe it was conserving rights such as hunting, fishing and shooting.

Most people these days associate conservation with saving animals or the environment, not killing them, not 'conserving rights.'

I've never once heard of "conservation" of rights, and I come from a family of NRA Lifetime members, but I've seen tons of Fish and Game Clubs, Hunt Clubs and Gun Clubs.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Conserving and managing our natural resources is not JUST for tree-huggers.

Many/most/all conservation clubs promote the preservation of our natural resources so that they may be enjoyed by future generations. Most were founded as hunting clubs. The 2A is secondary.

Even our 4WD Associations promote responsible resource preservation, conservation, and management. The only difference is we want to actually ENJOY nature, and not just fence it off and keep people out of it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Conservation is the wise use of a resource. Most "tree huggers" do not realize the billions of dollars hunters and fishermen contribute via Pittman/Roberts and Dongle/Johnson taxes. There would be little to no public lands for recreation if not for sportsmen. Not to mention the explosion in wildlife populations due to groups like WTF, DU, etc.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Wildlife populations have to be "managed". Sometimes, for the benefit of said population, the herd needs to be thinned. Hunting is a tool used in conservation.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Having been a member of Greenpeace and the Sierra Club years and years ago, I can say they are interested in power, not protecting the environment.

On the whole, sportsmen and women have a much more genuine interest in preserving nature.

36fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    1) "Conservation Club" sounds better than "Gun Club". Usually the sportsmen (and women) that are members are versed in conservation methods
    2) A lead bullet is in an insoluble state, so unless you pick up a hand full of soil from the range and eat it, the lead bullet being there is irrelevant.
    3) I hug a tree every time I climb one, usually with a firearm or bow in tow.
    :D

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    The conservation club I belong to hosts all sorts of firearms activities as well as archery. As to the lead issue. Periodically, an outside company will PAY to come in and mine the lead from the range.

Recycling, nature conservation and shooting... win, win, win!

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Many conservation clubs are not only firearms, as 'khickey' says. Riley CC host many firearm activities, but there is also archery, fishing, hunting, etc.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    ViewEdoc.aspx

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Since only hits count you can conserve ammo by having better aim. People need a club where they can go and practice ammo conservation through accuracy. Hence the conservation clubs. Now you know the rest of the story.

Top Bottom