• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FunkyZero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    I'm looking for an enthusiast or an expert who may be able to help me out.
    I have an opportunity to acquire a Remington New Army model 1863 revolver. However, my limited experience has me sandbagging and I need an expert who can help me authenticate this example and give me tips on how to spot improper modifications and/or parts. It looks as if it's been used to hammer nails, but so have most examples I've seen of this particular era so I also need help grading. If anyone is interested in helping out an amateur collector, please let me know. I have a limited time window with this and I'm scared of getting burned real bad as I don't know what I'm looking for.

What I do know about it:
    It has been martially inspected and has the remnants of a very worn mil cartouche on the grip and the "P" marking on the bottom of the trigger guard. All the metal is darkened patina with no blue left at all. There is minor pitting in some spots. The barrel does not appear cut, the front blade is still intact as well as the chamfer on the outside of the barrel end. the metal surfaces have numerous dings and dents all around. All the screws are present, but show typical damage. One note is that the cylider bores are packed with grease so it appears to be loaded and I am concerned about corrosion because the black power may have been in there for a LONG time.

I have not seen nor held the gun yet, only photos. BB values this as $800 @ 10% and $5000 @ 95%.
    Normally, I would call this less than 10% but I'm not sure how the scale works on something like this. Most examples I see are not a whole lot better than this one even though this is one of the worst I've seen (compared to online photos).

link to photos: Rem-newarmy Photos by funkyzero | Photobucket

If anyone can provide valuable input, i would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Unless you are going to do a face to face meeting, I would not touch it.

I know virtually nothing about this model, but I do know you and he can both get in deep crap for shipping/receiving hazardous materials.

Unless proven otherwise, I would consider that piece loaded. He even has the percussion caps on 5 of 6 cylinders. That thing may have been loaded for a half-century or more.

Top Bottom