• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Some members of Congress want to introduce legislation that will require universal background checks for all gun purchases. I do not know why gun owners are opposed to this idea.

I want to write a letter to one of our senators if he would introduce a bill saying that if people want to purchase firearms from a private seller the buyer needs to have a ltch. Since most private sellers won't sell a pistol without seeing a ltch, is it a bad idea if it became law applying to long gun and pistol private sales.

Any input is appreciated.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    All necessary and legal regulation of firearms has already been spelled out for us. It's even quite simple to understand.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You don't know.
    Haven't you read the reasons on other threads that people have posted.

The federal government is only allowed to do what is in the Constitution.
    The claim is that the "Interstate Commerce" clause allows them to regulate firearms sales between states.
    Hence they have justified (in their minds) the need for FFL transfer and background check being legal.
    Now... How can you make the justification that they regulate what I sell to someone in the state, maybe even a family member???
    Should they just throw out the rule of law. Make their own rules with no regard for the laws that created the federal government in the first place??

Another problem.
    Universal Background Checks.......AREN'T UNIVERSAL.
    Gang members buying... NO CHECK.
    Drug dealers...... NO CHECK.
    Murderer...... NO CHECK.

How about this.
    The checks we already do... HAVEN'T STOPPED CRIME.
    Not even a little.

Go back in history.
    There was considerably less crime.
    Enough happened, that people wanted some "gun control" to feel safe.
    Then more crime.
    Then more gun control.
    Then more crime.
    Then more gun control.

Notice a pattern?

How about the enforcement??
    How do you make EVERY SALE conform to the law?

As regards to saving a life.
    chemicals, baseball bats, swimming pools, fists, and hundreds (or thousands) of other things kill more people.
    Do we start requiring a background check for a baseball bat?
    Why not?
    Isn't it still blaming the object?

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    tyrone-bigs-meme-generator-say-what-003017.jpeg

Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    I personally believe that there are points on which gun owners and 2nd amendment supporters have to compromise with the federal government and every other entity which wants to get involved.

I also believe we've already done that numerous times. We each have to have a background check when we purchase a firearm. Firearms dealers must be licensed by the ATF. We must buy stamps from the ATF for certain purchases. We had to live under the last AWB.

The list goes on and on.

There has to be a line in the sand or else we're no better than the herd out there accepting every bit of b.s. the government decides to feed them.

WE all know that new gun control isn't going to do anything to stop criminals from using firearms to commit crimes.

WE all know that it won't stop some psycho from snapping and killing a bunch of innocent people.

WE all know that it won't make this country any safer.

WE all know that this is simply another in a long line of attacks on who we are and what we believe in at the very core of our beings.

I, for one, oppose ANY new legislation on gun control because it is simply another way to for the federal government to convince the herd that they are doing something to make things better. WE all know that it's nothing more.

Last edited:

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I personally believe that there are points on which gun owners and 2nd amendment supporters have to compromise with the federal government and every other entity which wants to get involved.

Why do firearms owners have such a hard time understanding the second amendment? It isn't complicated. "Shall not be infringed" is very straightforward and to the point.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    A foot in the door ?

Give an inch they will take a mile ?

Shall "Kinda" not be infringed ?

My duty as a responsible gun owner has a long list attached to it and one of them is COMMON SENSE. Like any retailer I have the RIGHT to refuse a sale for any reaon at any time.
    With all the CYA stuff asside if a person does not know when he should or should NOT sell a firearm to someone, they themself should not have one either because they are an IDIOT

:twocents:

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I, for one, oppose ANY new legislation on gun control because it is simply another way to for the federal government to convince the herd that they are doing something to make things better. WE all know that it's nothing more.

I guess you didn't bother to read the rest of my post.

Oh, I did. The rest of the post was equally ridiculous. So your opposed to NEW legislation. I guess its alright to have background investigations, licenses, and regulations.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!!!

Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    Oh, I did. The rest of the post was equally ridiculous. So your opposed to NEW legislation. I guess its alright to have background investigations, licenses, and regulations.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!!!

And as soon as you find a way to remove them from the books, I'll gladly support your every effort. But at this point you might want to focus on the current lunacy in the works and worry less about fighting battles you've already lost.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Nothing anyone says, is going to do anything to change the dogged POV of alot of people here. My only fear is, that dogged attitude is causing a separation in the pro 2A group, and those who believe in an honest effort to prevent criminals from legally obtaining firearms, are being pushed away.. If the 2A is ever edited, this will be a large reason why it happened.(together we stand, divided we fall)

I know laws dont work, no law has ever stopped a criminal from breaking it.

I do not believe in the current "UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS"

I do, however believe that a person should be vetted in some way, prior to purchase, and most people here do as well. Alot of the people who argue against the idea of a "background check" then turn around and ask to see your LTCH when selling a gun to you.
    The point here is, people, we need to figure something out... Because the anti gunners think that no one should buy a gun, and the pro gunners are divided, because of something that should be obvious. NO ONE wants to sell a gun to a criminal... How do we make this happen?

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    We could look to our constitution for guidance. Look for the line it it that mentions that certain classes of people shouldn't be armed.
    You know what its like when your trying to talk about how important something is, and the person your talking to has their fingers in their ears, going NANANANANANA IM NOT LISTENING............ Yea, so do I. Im going to bed, You figure it out, or drive this ***** right into the ground. Im done trying to help.

Top Bottom