IUPUI is telling people to go with their instincts...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    IUPUI crime response

I just received a crime alert email from campus. I just wanted to share it for another example of how far behind in security and preparedness some are.

IUPUI Alert! Crime Alert

February 22, 2013

ARMED ROBBERIES AT WHITE RIVER STATE PARK

Indiana State Police are investigating two recent robberies that took place at White River State Park

On February 13, 2013 at approximately 8:55 pm. the victim reported he was sitting on a large stone along the promenade/canal walk way talking on his cell phone. He was then approached by a suspect (only able to describe him as a male wearing a black coat with red stripes and jeans) who stuck what the victim believed was a gun in his back and asked for his money. Suspect ran east towards the Zoo. The victim was not injured.

On February 22, 2013 at 2:45pm Officers responded to a report of a robbery with a gun, on the trail behind the Indianapolis Zoo. The victim is an IUPUI student and was out for a jog when he was approached by two Hispanic males. One pointed a revolver and demanded his wallet. The suspects were last seen going eastbound. The victim was struck with a piece of wood and suffered minor injuries.

SAFETY TIPS

Go with your instincts, but be realistic about your ability to fight off someone; your instinct may be to run, scream, kick, hit or bite. However you decide to respond, be sure you do so with full commitment of your effort.

Try to remember as many details as possible and alert Police as soon as possible. Your goal should be to escape safely and survive.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I just received a crime alert email from campus. I just wanted to share it for another example of how far behind in security and preparedness some are.

Why would you jog anywhere in that part of town by yourself unarmed? Just pull up a map that shows the crimes around Indy and all around IUPUI it is ridiculous.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    IUPUI Alert! Crime Alert

February 22, 2013

ARMED ROBBERIES AT WHITE RIVER STATE PARK

Indiana State Police are investigating two recent robberies that took place at White River State Park

On February 13, 2013 at approximately 8:55 pm. the victim reported he was sitting on a large stone along the promenade/canal walk way talking on his cell phone. He was then approached by a suspect (only able to describe him as a male wearing a black coat with red stripes and jeans) who stuck what the victim believed was a gun in his back and asked for his money. Suspect ran east towards the Zoo. The victim was not injured.

On February 22, 2013 at 2:45pm Officers responded to a report of a robbery with a gun, on the trail behind the Indianapolis Zoo. The victim is an IUPUI student and was out for a jog when he was approached by two Hispanic males. One pointed a revolver and demanded his wallet. The suspects were last seen going eastbound. The victim was struck with a piece of wood and suffered minor injuries.

SAFETY TIPS

Go with your instincts, but be realistic about your ability to fight off someone; your instinct may be to run, scream, kick, hit or bite. However you decide to respond, be sure you do so with full commitment of your effort.

Try to remember as many details as possible and alert Police as soon as possible. Your goal should be to escape safely and survive.

Go to Police Department : Finance and Administration : IUPUI for updates as available.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    IUPUI Alert! Crime Alert

SAFETY TIPS

Are the ok if my instinct is to draw and put six shots in the triangle of death?

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I get an email once every other week from the University of Louisville where I attend. I am getting really sick about this, and still no student carry allowed.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    My instinct would be to carry my gun with me everywhere I went. If the school every tried to expel me if they discovered it and were upset about it, then I would say, "Hey, you said to go with my instincts, so I did."

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012

What is it that you have a problem with? I find their information to be realistic and refreshing instead of the typical "just cooperate and don't fight back..."

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    What is it that you have a problem with? I find their information to be realistic and refreshing instead of the typical "just cooperate and don't fight back..."
    Is that not essentially what they're saying? What college student is going to attempt to fight back unarmed?

I have a problem with the fact that for many years my tax dollars have payed for a property, operated by an organization which I pay tens of thousands of more dollars to, and they still choose to ignore my rights to defense by limiting my means to do so effectively. Since our tax dollars fund the property, they should have no legally binding authority to restrict people's access to rights.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Not all around campus are mere "college kids" with no jobs/money...

Very true. Still seems odd to pick a place where the chances are lowered on getting a substantial return. Scare a poor kid to fill his drawers and take the only $10 to his name. Well, I guess it proves criminals really are stupid. I heard some kid on the train talking about being robbed in Chicago and being stuck there because he had to give away his last dime that was supposed to be for his ticket home.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Very true. Still seems odd to pick a place where the chances are lowered on getting a substantial return. Scare a poor kid to fill his drawers and take the only $10 to his name. Well, I guess it proves criminals really are stupid. I heard some kid on the train talking about being robbed in Chicago and being stuck there because he had to give away his last dime that was supposed to be for his ticket home.
    Yep. They don't really care what they get. Something is better than nothing. They're just looking for an easy target with no apparent repercussions.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Most college age young adults don't have a lot of cash on them, but they have more new technology on their person than the original space shuttle.

Top Bottom