• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dkor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greensburg, IN
    As i start to look at guns that i like and or would like to purchase on here.

is it appropriate to ask for the serial number?
    should i check with law enforcement to verify that the gun is not stolen?

i assume the above would pertain to individuals selling guns vs. dealers?

what questions should i ask to ensure i am following the correct procedures?

thanks for the advice, and yes i know i would either need to become a promoter or make 50 posts to be eligible for purchasing from this site. just looking forward to when that is an option.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I would be very surprised if anyone would give you a serial number. For several reasons. For stolen firearms, is there are database? I'm not sure, but if you're not an LEO, then you'll have a tough time finding out anything. If I bought a gun, and later found out it had been stolen, and I could verify it, then I wouldn't hesitate to return it to the rightful owner.

What it boils down to is that the buyer and seller a) are following all applicable laws and b) both parties are comfortable with the transaction. If not then c) Bail.

I could care less about some feedback rating that someone on might give me on an internet forum if I don't feel right about it, I'm not going through with it. Different people might get completely different vibes about a certain buyer or seller, but in the end, the only person you have to live with is yourself.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Nothing wrong with asking for the serial number. I always ask so I can check ahead of time and make sure its legal. If they wont give up the number then it aint worth the chance for me.
    There is a database. Obviously its not a complete database and doesnt guarantee it's a legal weapon, but it never hurts to check. It's usually not that difficult to have a local LEO run a check for you. If you know an Officer personally just ask. If not call the Dept. and ask to speak with an officer about it. Obviously if it comes back stolen, they may want to ask you a few questions too.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I generally use a little bit of powder solvent, scrub things down with that pretty well, maybe using something heavier duty if it's gotten really bad.

Oh, wait, that's not what you're getting at, is it?

mrmech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    I purchase guns from shows regularly and the best way I've found to feel safe about it is to ask for there drivers license and if it appears real I record the info on it for my records. If they hesitate to give you there info I turn around and walk away. Another tell tail is if the price is to good to be true, there's either a desperate person an idiot or a illegal item in the deal

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I purchase guns from shows regularly and the best way I've found to feel safe about it is to ask for there drivers license and if it appears real I record the info on it for my records. If they hesitate to give you there info I turn around and walk away. Another tell tail is if the price is to good to be true, there's either a desperate person an idiot or a illegal item in the deal

Not happening...

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    HotGunz Stolen Gun Search

Not all inclusive, but better than nothing. If you find the serial number on this site, then you know the gun is stolen.

I had a P3AT stolen exactly a year ago and filed a police report. It is not listed in the link above, but a search by serial number here on INGO found the stolen weapon post.

If I have any doubts, I use an FFL (Federal Firearms Licensed) dealer and have them do the paperwork.

drifter197

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    s/w indy
    Nothing wrong with asking for the serial number. I always ask so I can check ahead of time and make sure its legal. If they wont give up the number then it aint worth the chance for me.
    There is a database. Obviously its not a complete database and doesnt guarantee it's a legal weapon, but it never hurts to check. It's usually not that difficult to have a local LEO run a check for you. If you know an Officer personally just ask. If not call the Dept. and ask to speak with an officer about it. Obviously if it comes back stolen, they may want to ask you a few questions too.

most officer will check it for you and if stolen will want to get basic information on who and how you got it. then just recover the weapon.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The issues I see with providing a serial number are:
    1. You likely have no way to verify it.
    2. You could report it stolen and, depending on what records the current holder may or may not have, it could be hard to disprove.

There are a LOT of dishonest people out there.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Short answer... No.

Longer answer... No.

That's what I thought. In that case going through an FFL does nothing to see if the firearm is stolen or not.

I don't know if most police departments will run the S/N for you like they will VIN checks, but I guess that's the best option to see if its reported stolen.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    When your concern over the prior ownership outweighs your concern about paying a retailer, buy from a a LGS. Help them keep the doors open.

As you learn more, you may want to test the waters in the aftermarkets, but I wouldn't recommend that as a successful method on your first purchase.

I can't tell you how many "good deals" turn out to be mechanical nightmares.

Buy your first gun at a reputable shop. They'll stand behind the product and you'll have a clear title.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    The issues I see with providing a serial number are:
    1. You likely have no way to verify it.
    2. You could report it stolen and, depending on what records the current holder may or may not have, it could be hard to disprove.

There are a LOT of dishonest people out there.

I guess that possible........ but not likely. Thats where your own precautions come into play. Like saving all emails and documents communicating with the buyer. And also having original documentation and receipts of the firearm.

The buyer could be a dumb@%& and report it but it would not be that hard to refute the claim. Then said Dumb@%& gets to go to jail for false reporting. Probably perjury too since he would most likely have to sign a sworn statement saying that the gun is stolen.

As a seller, its easy to verify. Just have an Officer run the check. You can always find an Officer that will help. Then when you do the actual buy make sure the numbers check out on the gun. I say this because that's exactly how i do all my private buys. I really dont care if someone gets offended, I'm not taking the chance on paying for a stolen gun. Plus if it is stolen your helping it get back to its rightful owner.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom