guns shows are they worth going to, or a waste of time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    my inlaws are going the indy 1500 in a couple of weeks, i want to find some 22lr ammo, nothing fancy, just plinking ammo. not sure if i should tag along or stay home. has anyone been to any gun shows lately? were the prices astronomical? i went to my LGS yesterday and they wanted $50 for 500 rounds of fiocchi 22lr, i walked out.

Last edited:

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    I would not expect to find lower ammo prices at the 1500. We went last time, and while we enjoyed it and bought a shotgun and some odds and ends, we did not find any ammo at prices we were willing to pay.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I agree that if you're just going to find ammo, it's probably not worth it. It's going to be expensive (just like everywhere right now), an then when you add on parking and admission, ammo is not going to be a great deal.

All that being said, I go to gun shows because I like going to gun shows... :dunno: I can usually find something I want or need while I'm there, but if I don't, that's okay too. I just like looking at all those guns! :):

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I think I remember seeing 22lr somewhere(Maybe on here) for I think 80$ for 500....

Maybe this next 1500 will be a little better, but I don't think so.

Ammo prices are crazy, on everything. People are stupid. Some guy at the gun show recently wanted 25$ for a box of 20 .223.... so

Sierra117

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    lebanon
    as others have said, i wouldnt go looking for good prices on ammo. It is fun to go to check stuff out and it is possible to find deals depending on what your looking for.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    geeze, well, i guess i will go just for the experience, but i probably wont be buying anything gun related....beef jerky and tube socks lol.

Last edited:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    my inlkaws are going the indy 1500 in a couple of weeks, i want to find some 22lr ammo, nothing fancy, just plinking ammo. not sure if i should tag along or stay home. has anyone been to any gun shows lately? were the prices astronomical? i went to my LGS yesterday and they wanted $50 for 500 rounds of fiocchi 22lr, i walked out.

I went to the Indy 1500 last month and after waiting about 90 minutes to get in Friday afternoon, it was a great show in my opinion. Of course there were some sellers asking crazy prices for stuff like AR15 mags and the like. I saw one guy asking for $90 for 30 rd Magpuls. But the next aisle over I saw the same mags for $25. I was looking for a Glock 21 magazine and immediately found one from a vendor that had piles of them and it only cost me $40. I thought that was a good price. I also made the mistake of handling a Beretta Nano 9mm and ended up having to take it home with me. But it was only $400.

My buddy picked up a "brick" of 1000 rds. of 9mm FMJ for $340 which was pretty good in my opinion as well.

I saw lots of AR's and other tactical stuff, some was reasonable and some were crazy. If I had wanted an AR, I am sure I could have picked one up for a reasonable price.

So as long as you knew what things were going for, it was a good show. As usual, the crazy priced stuff just sat there. I didn't see any panic buying.

Really the only reason for the 90 minute wait getting in was due to the lack of money-takers at the door. Once inside it was not all that crowded.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    and ingo has a booth there right? maybe i will chat with those guys and buy a hat.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I think they are fun to go to, just to look around and see what I`d love to have but cant afford. Even though I did buy a Mossberg 500 at Evansvilles 4-H gun show this past weekend.

I dont think ammo, even 22LR, is gonna be much lower in price though.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I wouldn't expect to get any good deals in today's high demand economy,

But it's still fun to walk around.

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    I don't know this to be true but an owner of one of the LGS's in my area said the shortage now is because ammo is set to go up by 15% in April and the large suppliers are buying everything now and plan to hold it untill the scheduled price hike then sell what they bought cheap at the higher price. He really believed this to be true.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    There are some deals there if you are looking surplus long guns or pistols. I saw some M1 Garands in nice shape for $700-$850. There were two or three M1917's for $550. There were some affordable Mausers, Mosins were going for a lot. Russian surplus went up a lot to, thankfully 8mm Mauser ammo has only gone up a little.

mwagner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    If its anything like the prices at the Evansville gun show might as well stay home, and if you do go take a paper bag for when you start hyperventilating from the ridiculously high prices.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    the more i think about its a good idea to go even if you dont buy anything, see what you want that kinda thing though if i go i think i might get a ingo hat and check out the vendors.

jfootman02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vincennes
    I don't know this to be true but an owner of one of the LGS's in my area said the shortage now is because ammo is set to go up by 15% in April and the large suppliers are buying everything now and plan to hold it untill the scheduled price hike then sell what they bought cheap at the higher price. He really believed this to be true.

While it wouldn't surprise me if it comes true, I hope they're wrong. I already hate feeling guilty throwing expensive lead downrange.

We're heading to the 1500 next month but I'm glad I'm now going prepared to come home empty-handed. :(

Top Bottom