• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    First off.... this is kind of a two topic thread.

Because number one you people that put your NRA stickers and the like on your car arent you worried it will be targeted?

Which brings me to my next topic... what do you guys use to secure your guns in your vehicle? I am considering some sort of small safe not sure what one to go with though.

Is it illegal to have a loaded gun in a safe in these unfriendly gun states also?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Targeted for what? From what? Anti-gun nuts?
    I use a holster on my waist to secure my handgun.
    No it is not illegal to have a loaded gun in your car at all as long as you have a LTCH.(in Indiana) not sure what "unfriendly gun states" means.

slowman87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    I think OP means targeted as in they see NRA sticker and think "oh there just might be a gun in the car" so they break in, rummage around, and maybe they find one maybe they don't.

I hardly ever leave my gun in my vehicle, unless I'm going into the post office or something.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    First off.... this is kind of a two topic thread.

Because number one you people that put your NRA stickers and the like on your car arent you worried it will be targeted?

Which brings me to my next topic... what do you guys use to secure your guns in your vehicle? I am considering some sort of small safe not sure what one to go with though.

Is it illegal to have a loaded gun in a safe in these unfriendly gun states also?

It is very much illegal to have a loaded gun in your car in many states, even if its locked up.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    and yes I worry about my NRA sticker getting my house or vehicles targeted by theives and possibly anti gunners.

and I secure my gun in my holster also but some instances do not allow for this... gov centers schools and certain physical activities. So I was just curious what others do to secure their gun in the vehicle if they have to.

the locked gun was just an after thought..... wasnt sure.

dragun762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    If i had to leave my carry in the car i would always put it in the trunk. if you do this alot you could purchase a small safe and bolt it down. in indiana you can carry a gun without permit in your vehicle if it is unloaded and locked in a case not readily accessible.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I see no need to advertise that I belong to the NRA. They know I belong and they have my support. I leave no visible signs that I own a gun of any kind.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I don't put stickers of any kind on my car. I'm not interested in advertising to the world my personal likes, dislikes, humor, or politics.

That said, with bajillion car break in reports under my belt, I can tell you car break-ins are almost never to rummage. They target cars with obvious valuables inside of them. They aren't making noise and then taking the time to rummage and maybe come up empty. Especially when so many people leave laptop bags, purses, cash, and expensive electronics in plain view in their car. They may be lazy, but they understand risk/reward at least to that level.

I had fliers printed up and went through gym parking lots. Each car got a flier, but I looked inside each car and listed what valuables I could see inside the flier. It said something like "If I were a thief, you would now be missing your : Ipod and purse. Help us reduce crime, secure your valuables." Break ins dropped dramatically at those gyms.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    You may even get keyed. Your choice. I personally choose not to advertise anything. The only stickers on my car are on the license plate, and an American flag that I left on there after telling the dealer to take their ad crap off.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have a school parking tag on mine and thats it. Well, I might put a Gadsden flag sticker on like I did my other car but other than that nothing else. Does that mean Im armed?

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I am a NRA member but do not have a NRA sticker on my truck. Honestly they don't match my truck. I do however have a silver Glock plate and a fairly large color matching AR sticker in the back window. Along with my company logos wrapped on the truck. I also have very loud (train horns) two way paging alarm. Oh and I always carry a gun so I would hate to confront someone. And there may or may not be one in my truck.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    and yes I worry about my NRA sticker getting my house or vehicles targeted by theives and possibly anti gunners.

and I secure my gun in my holster also but some instances do not allow for this... gov centers schools and certain physical activities. So I was just curious what others do to secure their gun in the vehicle if they have to.

the locked gun was just an after thought..... wasnt sure.

I have a safe in the truck. Sure, they can steal it... if they have bolt cutters or some heavy duty lineman dykes to cut the wire cable that holds it to the seat frame... if they even managed to find it.

I don't think someone is going to break into your car because they see a sticker, they are going to break into your car because they see something sitting out in the open... cd's, gps mount, gps unit, etc.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Man! We have a bunch of good republican candidates on here. All gun-ho 2nd amendment advocates until it comes down to "oh i better not do that somebody will think im a gun nut". Why are liberals which are a very very small minority winning left and right getting what they want? They are dedicated to their cause. Yeah i want to run over them when i see the obama bumper stickers plus the the 10 others. As much as i dont agree with them i have to give them credit for standing for what they believe. A friend of mine wont join the NRA because he thinks the gov will know he has a few guns and he will be watched. That and he's a cheap. Its pretty clear we will be losing rights in our future but its nobodies fault but our own. How often do you see a republican say he stands for something then when he is getting chewed out about it by some nimb whit reporter they back off and retreat like oh no im not part of those crazy gun nuts. Go ahead and dont show your support and be afraid because we will lose all our rights with this attitude.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Same here. Make your vehicle the one they look into and pass right on by. Still have lots of friends that don't even LOCK their vehicles when they're home!

I don't put stickers of any kind on my car. I'm not interested in advertising to the world my personal likes, dislikes, humor, or politics.

That said, with bajillion car break in reports under my belt, I can tell you car break-ins are almost never to rummage. They target cars with obvious valuables inside of them. They aren't making noise and then taking the time to rummage and maybe come up empty. Especially when so many people leave laptop bags, purses, cash, and expensive electronics in plain view in their car. They may be lazy, but they understand risk/reward at least to that level.

I had fliers printed up and went through gym parking lots. Each car got a flier, but I looked inside each car and listed what valuables I could see inside the flier. It said something like "If I were a thief, you would now be missing your : Ipod and purse. Help us reduce crime, secure your valuables." Break ins dropped dramatically at those gyms.

whackmaster66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I don't like to advertise on my vehicles too much. But I do have INGO Decals on both corners on my truck rear Window along with a Mathews decal in the middle of the window.. My carry is on me at all times except for schools and gov buildings.. If I do leave it in the truck I have a magnetic holster that I attached to my truck seat frame that is hidden..

Last edited:

joshpribble79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Rockville
    Mine goes on my tool box. I don't feel the need to advertise everyone for them besides I figure if your a gun owner you probally already know about the NRA. A sticker on my truck shouldn't be the deciding factor of what you support.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I feel the NRA and INGO decals on my vehicle may serve as much as deterrents as advertizements. I normally don't leave a gun in my car, but a thief may (and should) think twice before breaking into an armed individuals vehicle. The only time I had a break-in was several years ago - didn't have any decals on it then - do now. I am proud of the fact I am a second amendment supporter and will gladly espouse it to everyone.

Top Bottom