• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    On an other site that I hang out on. A person asked if it was a good idea to give out so much information about our selves on gun sites?

Such as how much ammo we stock. How we feel about a lot of gun stuff. It was pointed out that big brother is watching just about every where.

What are your thoughts on this. I know that I have given out some thoughts and information that I wouldn't want big brother to have. Not with the vote coming up on guns and there future.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I don't see anything on here that I wouldn't say publicly. I'm not ashamed about standing up for The 2nd Amendment. I see your point, but if you're afraid to say it on a forum, then maybe you shouldn't be saying it at all. I do see a much more valid point about announcing stocks of guns and ammo, but not necessarily because of .gov watching, rather people in general.

chadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I agree. There's a little buffer with not using real names and addresses, not that that couldn't be compromised. But, I don't really worry about that part. I'd be more concerned about a lot of people knowing where I live and that I my have items of interest to them which would make my house more attractive.
    The idea here is to talk about what you like with people who have a similar interest without worrying about being ripped off, IMO.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Has anybody on INGO ever been targeted for robbery because they happened to say "oh I just bought a new Kimber 1911 for $1500 dollars today and its my nightstand gun" or something similar. Really a person can say/make up whatever they please. I could claim to be a cop, or claim that I own dozens of Glocks, AKs, AR-15s etc, wouldn't make any of it true. I could even provide pictures of all my guns, ammo, location of safe etc. Its still just somebody posting crap on the internet. May or may not be true. Pictures can be posted, doesn't mean they are YOUR pictures taken at your personal residence etc. Even if you claim they are.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Enjoy the board and use it as intended. If you let fear of politicians who are opposed to the 2nd Amendment's right to keep and bear arms then you are also letting them abridge your right to freedoom of speech. You lose twice.

I have heard a similar argument against joining the NRA and local gun clubs. If you join then the government will know that you have firearms and might target you in the future for confiscation, prosecution and persecution. Of course, if you don't join the NRA, if you don't write to your representatives, if you don't speak out in defense of your rights then you may lose them anyway. Hide your thoughts about firearms and freedom so you can be the last person with a firearm or speak up so everyone can own a firearm? If the government wants to know who owns firearms then they will know.

Don't post that you live at 100 Mulberry Street and will be on vacation for the next two weeks. Do post things of interest to you concerning firearms and peaceably assemble on the board with people that have similar interests.

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    While I share some of the concerns that 6MM Shoot points out, there are a couple of other things that concern me more. If you have kids, especially teenagers (I have 2 of 'em), you need to be concerned about what they may be posting on social media sites. Posting pics of guns and/or shooting at the range coupled with comments like "we've got tons of guns" are an attention grabber. Follow this with talking about your upcoming 2-week vacation and you've got a recipe for trouble. Just because your account is "private" doesn't mean it's private. Remember that in most cases break ins are conducted by someone who has been to your house before or knows someone you know. Seeing this stuff on line is like a loud speaker.

Ditto for yourself. I tend to believe that "Big Brother" watches much more than we realize and with some of the recent events, will be watching even closer.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ditto for yourself. I tend to believe that "Big Brother" watches much more than we realize and with some of the recent events, will be watching even closer.

Meh,
    Although it's none of their business, if Big Brother wants to come check my place out, I'll tell him all he wants to know about why I have a bathtub full of green Jello just waiting on a contingency of midgets.
    I'll be happy to show them that I keep my cat-s**t in the freezer, after all, if left out it stinks!

If they feel the need to know why I store baby food in my underwear, I have no problem letting them know, it's bait. I just won't say for what.

They can interview my dogs to find out why there are deer parts strewn about the property.

If they ask, "what are you doing?", I'll tell them, "I'm not doing anything. I've been clean for years. Why does everyone keep asking me that?"
    I live in my own little world, but it's o.k., everyone there knows me by name.

If they want to scrutinize my world, come on in, the Jello's fine!

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I thought everybody here on INGO lost all their guns in boating accidents last year? :dunno:
    At least that is what I have read.

I do believe that big bro is watching though. I'm not too concerned about what I post or what I have read here on INGO.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    There IS a line that needs to be drawn in regards to personal privacy and security when posting online. Stuff sticks forever anymore and if someone needed to piece together a profile, the internet is a great compromiser.

I've done it myself, wanting to get my name out there or my interests, share with the community, be normal like everyone else and forego my common sense.

It's easier than you think to track down information on a user using certain methods. I'm quite sure a governmental body of geniuses whos job it is to do just that with broader resources has their thumb on you if they truly want it to happen.

All I can say is this...track down yourself throughout the web and see how you can get rid of that information that leads to you. If you've done something bad, said some pretty anti-government things, made threats to the president...it's very easy for "them" to track you down through the IP you use to log on to a website and your ISP WILL give up the information.

I got rid of Facebook a while back and its been smooth sailing since. I found myself giving up too much info, getting mad at the crap I was seeing people post and it just wasnt worth playing the game. Even on this site I've crossed my self imposed line.

If you do something wrong, the only thing you can do is unplug, relocate and dont reconnect. Dont think it can happen to you?

309286_497757536919643_1630420030_n.jpg

Taken by secret service and local authorities without due process to a mental institution. By color of law, guess what that means...adjudication to a mental institution means loss of second amendment rights. Their way of easily making you a non citizen, otherwise known as a felon. And he didnt even own any firearms when he was taken.

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I think it is best to never let anyone know what you own.
    It is none of their business, and is a good way to get ripped off.
    I would never make it public knowledge as to what I own.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Just like any other social media, if you don't want the world to know don't post it. That is what I ask myself whenever I post. Am I ok with the world knowing this? Like it or not that is your potential audience with anything put on the great interwebs.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I don't worry about it too much. I'm retired so am usually at home, my wife, also retired is also usually at home. It is rare when no one is around. My son often visits, as does my best friend. All of us are armed, all have LTCH, if they want to take a chance on shorting their life, come on in! They darn sure won't break into my elderly sisters home later!

jfootman02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vincennes
    Big Brother knows I own firearms after purchasing from LGS. Because of this, I don't worry about surfing the net or posting on forums about legal, legitimate firearm issues.

On the other hand, our world with social media allows not only Big Brother to know our personal business but who knows how many other wack-jobs. We may not live in Belgium, but I think the same thing could potentially happen to most of us here in the states...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7pYHN9iC9I

tpntch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    I thought the same thing once. As others have said, I just do not put anything on here that i dont want anybody to know.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My position is that I am not going to modify my views for public or .gov consumption, but then again, I am not going to post inventory (or lack thereof) either.

Top Bottom