About the government buying ammo....(good read)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, yeah, but the thing that has me concerned is why all of those agencies have "law enforcement" sub-agencies. Seems to me that it reflects the militarization of the entire government.

That, more than the ammo purchasing, gives me pause.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I guess, my question is, after reading all the info out there, is ..... Have they been buying this amount of ammo, all along, or is this a NEW thing ?????

debeerman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    In a van down by the river
    These armed extensions of bureaucratic agencies don't seem to have to follow the same rules at LE. What happens as they expand? Remember this is not a zero based budgeting governemnt. The agents as well as ammo are baked in to thier budget and then the 10% increase is piled on top. Won't be too long until thier armed forces are substantial and have no regard for the rule of law thus the average citizen can over time be unsure is this a LE official at my door or a gov't agency which may be at the wrong location because of poor or no investigation on thier part.
    What happend to the innocent citizens in the story above? A new door and a oops we goofed? Where is thier long term feeling of security and if they had fired back and in an ensuing firefight someone injured or killed because of a mistake on the gov't side? which side would the castle doctrine fall?

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    Nonetheless, one could reasonably ask why the Social Security Administration would need any ammunition at all. Are the elderly especially unruly these days? Jonathan L. Lasher, in the SSA’s external-relations department, explained to the Huffington Post that the ammunition is “for the 295 agents” in the outfit’s office of inspector general “who investigate Social Security fraud and other crimes.” Divide the rounds by the number of agents, and you get about 590 per agent; in a given year, that’s about ten rounds a week. “Most will be expended on the firing range,” Lasher continued.

I'm not in LE so I honestly don't know, but do LE officers normally go to the range and use hollow points as a standard target round?

BK1962

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    North Liberty
    I watch fed bid and fed business opportunities for these solicitations. The dept of ed solicited the shot guns over a year ago. They have their own s w a t team, ya know... It's like Fine-Stien said on the house floor when she introduced her latest assult weapons ban. "We intend to dry up the supply". So the years long solicitations for ammo and now the "select fire, AR15's, suitable for personal protection" (as describe on the solicitation by D H S) is nothing more than that. They will effective dry up the market. They are in line first. Poli-cia is second and the common man gets the scraps. If you were thinking about a new M Rap, you just got bumped to the back of the line as well due to their most recent solicitation.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

True, but when a cigar smoker suddenly starts smoking pipes and cigarettes, people tend to take notice, especially when that smoker is the US Government. :tinfoil:

IMHO, I think these stories follow the normal percentage of truth that everything else follows....65% truth, 20% misleading information, and 15% out right lies. Question that begs to be answered is....which percentage group does this article fall under.:dunno:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It will never add up why they bought expensive hollow points ammunition "for target practice" in order to "save money". This is an oxymoron.

They should buy massive quantities of FMJ f they wanted to save money and shoot targets. HP ammo is to shoot people with and it costs twice as much. Saving money obviously wasn't on their minds.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    It will never add up why they bought expensive hollow points ammunition "for target practice" in order to "save money". This is an oxymoron.

They should buy massive quantities of FMJ f they wanted to save money and shoot targets. HP ammo is to shoot people with and it costs twice as much. Saving money obviously wasn't on their minds.

I'm just guessing, but when you order 450 MILLION rounds, you can probably negotiate HPs for FMJ prices:dunno:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hey OP, I don't think it is, but I don't care if it's a dupe. If it were posted once for every 5 alarmist stories about the gvt. buying ammo, it would be posted many, many times....and rightfully so.

Good, well researched and reasoned, article.

Ejohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Dublin, IN
    Most agencies have to qualify with the same weapons and ammo that they carry on duty. My department does, both service weapon and backup. They want us to be used to the way that particular ammo shoots. Also, when an incident occurs, our weapons expert has to be able to testify in court about the types of weapons and ammo that we use.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    OP good article which makes sense. I don't have a problem with the government stockpiling ammunition. I have a problem with that same ammunition stockpiling government questioning why their citizenry should need to exercise the same, cost saving, bulk ordering behaviour.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    OP good article which makes sense. I don't have a problem with the government stockpiling ammunition. I have a problem with that same ammunition stockpiling government questioning why their citizenry should need to exercise the same, cost saving, bulk ordering behaviour.

Good point.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I'm just guessing, but when you order 450 MILLION rounds, you can probably negotiate HPs for FMJ prices:dunno:

Yes, that is probably true, but doesn't negate the fact that if you bought 450M FMJ rounds, it would cost half as much as 450M HP.

Like I said, saying this was done as a cost savings is an absolute oxymoron. Saying you must QUALIFY with HP ammo is fine, but you don't even need this much ammo for qualifying.

Top Bottom