• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haneda

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I work for a privately owned company. Today they introduced us to a new employee handbook. In the handbook they added a section called weapons in the workplace. Under this new policy it states in order to encourage a safe work environment for employees, vendors, customers and suppliers all employees are prohibited from carrying weapons (guns,knives,etc) while on company time ,including on company property, at a company function or at a customer or suppliers location.

I understand it a private company and they can dictate whatever policy they so choose. My concern is with the vagueness of guns,knives, etc cetera. What do to you all think of this vauge language. Am I out of line for not wanting to sign this hand book written by the way it is?

I tried to express my point of view but everyone feels that I'm a kook for wanting to at least have my trusty spyderco in my pocket.

the policy does state that we can keep our firearm locked in our car in the parking lot. But it cannot come anywhere near company property. So in essence when I travel to my customer either in Detroit or Ohio I'm not even allowed to protect myself with a pocket knife. For goodness sake the TSA allows you to have a Swiss Army knife.

Please give me your opinion if you think I have any leg to stand on in not wanting to sign this policy. I don't want to get fired but I also don't want to give up on my convictions.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is CYA, lawyer driven.
    My company handbook says the same thing. I signed it and then checked my 1911 in the center console just to make sure I had it. The company will do nothing to protect you so, it is up to you. If you do not sign the book they will find a way to get you off the payroll.
    I will find another job if I have to defend myself. At least I will be able to. JMHO

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    My company has the same policy. Alot of people have guns locked in their cars, so its really don't ask don't tell. Just don't bring them in the building.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Same policy at my company, but they do state that the policy is in accordance with State law, where applicable. Which covers the fact that Indiana law overrides any company's restriction on keeping firearms in a vehicle in the company parking lot. Don't know if Ohio or Michigan has a similar law???

Ridgeman4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Middletown
    I work for a large corporation and they also have a similar policy. However, the people that I have direct contact with know that a lot of us are gun enthusiests and have never broached the subject. I believe that they know most of us carry, but they dont want to cause any issues for us since we do a lot of traveling. I carry mine in my front pocket daily. I agree with Churchmouse in that I would rather be able to find another job than not need it and if my company decided to enforce their policy I would continue to carry anyway. Just my :twocents:.

Some people may disagree with me...

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    It's the same for me. But, you have to remember, what they don't know won't hurt them. My life is more important than a job. I figure the day someone finds out i'm cc'ing my pistol (or anything to my protect myself) that that is going to be because i had to use it to protect myself or someone else.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    its worded vaguely for a purpose - for the purpose of management to reserve executive decision.

while Indiana's law about weapons in your vehicle is awesome in its purpose, it gives leeway to what can actually happen.
    there was a story recently, (not in indiana i dont believe, but state that provides similar provisions) of an autozone employee who kept a firearm in his car, and happening upon the situation of his boss being confronted with an armed robber, retrieved it and confronted the criminal. no shots fired, criminal was arrested. while his immediate superior indeed said he owed him his life, upper management fired him for weapons violation.

given that situation, we can all see the 'right response' to this, and i'd hope the guy was hired immediately by another 2A friendly company.

YMMV tho..

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm willing to bet should you decide to not sign this policy, you'll be offered an opportunity to find employment elsewhere. At least in my experience, these policies are not negotiable. Though it's the first one I've heard of that prohibits all knives. I know it sounds kind of cold, but you do have options on this--each option has a cost associated with it though.

70R

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    West Lafayette, IN
    I work out of a home office, so my policy allows all workers to carry. :D

This is the wall next to my desk:
    046199105fef94c6a5340c2caf59cd67_zps61e951bb.jpg

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I carry every day at work. I try my best to conceal but I move around so much, lifting, etc. I'm sure it's been seen, and it's such a small office I'm sure word spread quickly. I asked the owner if he'd received any complaints about it, and he said, "No, and at this point I really don't give a sh*t if they do." It's prompted several others to look into getting their carry licenses. Pretty awesome place to be.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I'm willing to bet should you decide to not sign this policy, you'll be offered an opportunity to find employment elsewhere. At least in my experience, these policies are not negotiable. Though it's the first one I've heard of that prohibits all knives. I know it sounds kind of cold, but you do have options on this--each option has a cost associated with it though.

Our company policy also prohibits all knives. You can only have a safety knife, you know, those box cutters that fold open.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Sign the policy and go about your business. The policy forbids weapons, not tools. My Gerber (or anything else I carry) is a tool. A Glock is a TOOL of self defense. An F-16 is a weapon. This is easy, just don't carry an F-16.:D

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    ask them if its ok to carry a crow bar, or baseball bat to company picnics!! no really though that sucks, our country has been conditioned to hate guns, people think they are safe cuz of a posted sign, yet that posted sign is the green light for bad guys. its so sad

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Last I heard it is against Indiana law to have a policy that says you can't have a firearm in your car in the parking lot (car locked and firearm out of sight) which is technically on company property so this sounds like an illegal policy if it is really worded that way.

OF course this would mean you would basically have to sue them to get the policy changed and they could not fire you during the processes. However this would also mean contention at the workplace and certainly no raises or job advancement. The whole "At Will" thing, I think it is called, ends up putting people over a barrel when dealing with stuff that is wrong at work.

Top Bottom