• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

The Tulsa show is probably the largest gun show in the USA. I have gone twice and it is well worth the trip. No matter what your interest you will find it there.

I do not refer to a single firearm but rather any range of styles. If you like C&R stuff there is a lot. If you like new black guns there are a lot. If you like hunting rifles or shotguns there are a lot. Blackpowder, a lot.

If you can make the drive some year it is well worth the time and money.

And unlike Indiana shows parking is free.

Also, plan on NOT seeing everything! This is like the Indy1500 and the Louisville NGA combined in two (2) days. I walk fast and don't gawk much and both times I have yet to go from one end to the other seeing every table.

Regards,

Doug

PS - If you (or anyone) plan to go PM me and I can get you directions to where to stay that is nice and inexpensive.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I go to that building for the Chili Bowl race every January and it's HUGE. I can only imagine how big of a gun show they could have there. Massive.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    The Louisville show is touted as the "biggest"....it took me 6 hours to walk around it a few years back and I think it was close to 3000 tables. Crossroads of the West in Phoenix at the fairgrounds is also huge, and it's spread out through 4 buildings! Never been to the Tulsa show, Louisville is definitely bigger than the 1500, but it's $8 for parking and $12 to get in the show!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It wouldn't be as much fun if I knew I couldn't buy a gun and walk out with it.

To Dbrier (et alia),

Of course you could buy any gun you could afford and walk out with it. I have. Why couldn't you?

As long as you can pass the 4473 you should be good to go.

The only legal issue is that you must drive straight home with it. This is covered by Federal Law.

Regards,

Doug

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    To Dbrier (et alia),

Of course you could buy any gun you could afford and walk out with it. I have. Why couldn't you?

As long as you can pass the 4473 you should be good to go.

The only legal issue is that you must drive straight home with it. This is covered by Federal Law.

Regards,

Doug
    This must be true. I saw it on the internet.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This must be true. I saw it on the internet.

To BE Mike (et alia),

Fine, fine, fine.

Make me get the law.

Here ya go: 18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

The law says that if you are legal you may transport the firearm with certain limitations, but you must go straight home with it.

Specifically, 18 US S 926A.

As Federal Law trumps State Law this makes ya'll good to go.

Regards,

Doug

PS - Mike I should have referenced initially but was too lazy.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    To BE Mike (et alia),

Fine, fine, fine.

Make me get the law.

Here ya go: 18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

The law says that if you are legal you may transport the firearm with certain limitations, but you must go straight home with it.

Specifically, 18 US S 926A.

As Federal Law trumps State Law this makes ya'll good to go.

Regards,

Doug

PS - Mike I should have referenced initially but was too lazy.

If the gun is a handgun, no sale can be made, unless the firearm is shipped to an FFL in the purchaser's state. This is from the ATF website:
    Q: May a licensed dealer sell a firearm to a non-licensee who is a resident of another State? Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensed dealer to a non-licensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in the purchaser’s State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the dealer in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3)]

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Federal law trumps state law unless you smoke pot but hey, Obama's a doper too so that's okay. Is this a great country or what? And getting greater all the time I might add.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If the gun is a handgun, no sale can be made, unless the firearm is shipped to an FFL in the purchaser's state. This is from the ATF website:
    Q: May a licensed dealer sell a firearm to a non-licensee who is a resident of another State?Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensed dealer to a non-licensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in the purchaser’s State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the dealer in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3)]
    To BE Mike,

This is true from a dealer and only regarding a handgun. However, a private sale is legal and may then be completed and legally transported home under Federal Law.

Also, I have my C&R so I live in a little bit of a small bubble. I am not much into pistols but were I to get one it would likely be a simple transfer to me being over 50 years old. I know this doesn't apply to everyone but sometimes I forget that.

Still, any long gun would be legal from a dealer or private sale.

Regards,

Doug

mosinfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    The Tulsa show is the biggest. I have been a dozen times +... You will see everything from rare $3k and up Mosins to $100k calvay sabers that you can pick up and hold. I also attend the 1500, JAG etc. No comparison. You will cover miles walking the rows.Just an FYI, you need to make reservations a year in advance to keep your hotel for the next year... :) Hint... save your $$ all year and take all the $$ you can. If it can be found ....it will be found in Tulsa...

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    To BE Mike,

This is true from a dealer and only regarding a handgun. However, a private sale is legal and may then be completed and legally transported home under Federal Law.

Also, I have my C&R so I live in a little bit of a small bubble. I am not much into pistols but were I to get one it would likely be a simple transfer to me being over 50 years old. I know this doesn't apply to everyone but sometimes I forget that.

Still, any long gun would be legal from a dealer or private sale.

Regards,

Doug
    Doug, Are you saying that a non-FFL can buy a handgun from another non-FFL in Oklahoma and bring it home to Indiana?

From ATF P 5300.4 -- Federal Firearms Regulation Reference Guide:

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
    B. UNLICENSED PERSONS
    (B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
    A person may only buy a firearm within his own State except that he may buy
    a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State,
    provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale
    and the State where the purchaser resides.
    [18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 178.29]

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Doug, Are you saying that a non-FFL can buy a handgun from another non-FFL in Oklahoma and bring it home to Indiana?

From ATF P 5300.4 -- Federal Firearms Regulation Reference Guide:

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
    B. UNLICENSED PERSONS
    (B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
    A person may only buy a firearm within his own State except that he may buy
    a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State,
    provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale
    and the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 178.29]

To BE Mike,

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

According to Oklahoma Law: NRA-ILA | Oklahoma

Then, According to Federal Law: 18 USC S 926A.

Ergo:

#1) Purchase of Handgun is legal in Oklahoma under Oklahoma Law.
    #2) Transport of legally purchased handgun is covered under Federal Law.
    #3) Conclusion: Legal to go to OK, purchase and return to Indiana.

Oklahoma recognizes Indiana LTCH.

Regards,

Doug

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    To BE Mike,

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

According to Oklahoma Law: NRA-ILA | Oklahoma

Then, According to Federal Law: 18 USC S 926A.

Ergo:

#1) Purchase of Handgun is legal in Oklahoma under Oklahoma Law.
    #2) Transport of legally purchased handgun is covered under Federal Law.
    #3) Conclusion: Legal to go to OK, purchase and return to Indiana.

Oklahoma recognizes Indiana LTCH.

Regards,

Doug
    Well Doug, my friend, you are flat wrong about that. I thought you read what I just posted from the ATF website. :n00b:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well Doug, my friend, you are flat wrong about that. I thought you read what I just posted from the ATF website. :n00b:

To Be Mike (et alia),

I stand correct. I must admit I was in error on my reading of the law.

I was wrong. Mike is correct.

I learn something new every day.:D

Regards,

Doug

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    To Be Mike (et alia),

I stand correct. I must admit I was in error on my reading of the law.

I was wrong. Mike is correct.

I learn something new every day.:D

Regards,

Doug
    We all make mistakes Doug. I make them all the time. It takes a real man to admit it. These gun laws just about take a Philadelphia lawyer to figure out.:ingo:

Top Bottom