Angry liberal calls out Democrats for being so stupid about guns and gun control

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Just read it. While I may not agree with some of the author's other political views, I would say I'd be willing buy the author a beer and have an adult conversation about controversial issues.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Question is........will it do any good?

One thing about either side of the coin...they tend to work themselves into a frenzy internally. You better bet that the gun control folks are off trying to come up with another scheme to advance their agenda. While they do tend to make some stupid comments, and also have trouble keeping facts straight, they also tend to be decent at trying another angle if they get defeated the first time.

I would bet a paycheck we haven't seen the end of the "gun control" push from the left. In fact, I'd bet 2 paychecks that it will be a pivotal topic during the mid-term congressional elections.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Worth the time to read. Funny how the [STRIKE]libs[/STRIKE]politicians don't even know the laws they are writing.
    Doesn't matter what side of the political fence, politicians tend to not be nearly as informed about legislation they're trying to pass than they should be.

wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Being left of center myself, these are the exact same reasons that I have been speaking out against gun control for the past few months. I'm not happy with our president on this issue, but let us not forget the debate where both he and Romney pledged support for a renewed assault weapons ban. Given the events that precipitated this debate, everything would have happened in largely the same manner had Romney been elected, except for the hijinks of VP Biden.

I really just wish that people would recognize that is isn't a partisan issue, and shouldn't be treated as one. Instead of addressing anti-gunners as liberals, just stick with anti-gunners, and instead of labeling pro-gun people as conservatives, they should just be pro-gun, because people of all beliefs fall on both sides of the political divide and nothing should be said that alienates anyone from the cause. By speaking generally and with hostility about entire parties, it makes would be supporters not speak out. It has to end, we, as gun enthusiasts, must be united in order to maintain the rights we enjoy. And really, going a step further, the hostility needs to be toned down, because there are swing voters who are not among our ranks but are sympathetic to us, and when we act like idiots, we push them away. I'm not saying that anyone should roll over, just maintain civility at all costs. No name-calling, no angry words, no threats... Just the facts. That is how we'll put this to bed permanently.

I've actually won some over on HuffPo by presenting logical and provable arguments, being respectful to their feelings, and challenging them to think critically about the reality of the situation. It can be done with the right attitude, and if everyone wins over 3-4 undecided people, we're that much stronger for it.

This post was a great find, I'm glad you posted it for me to see.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Being left of center myself, these are the exact same reasons that I have been speaking out against gun control for the past few months. I'm not happy with our president on this issue, but let us not forget the debate where both he and Romney pledged support for a renewed assault weapons ban. Given the events that precipitated this debate, everything would have happened in largely the same manner had Romney been elected, except for the hijinks of VP Biden.

I really just wish that people would recognize that is isn't a partisan issue, and shouldn't be treated as one. Instead of addressing anti-gunners as liberals, just stick with anti-gunners, and instead of labeling pro-gun people as conservatives, they should just be pro-gun, because people of all beliefs fall on both sides of the political divide and nothing should be said that alienates anyone from the cause. By speaking generally and with hostility about entire parties, it makes would be supporters not speak out. It has to end, we, as gun enthusiasts, must be united in order to maintain the rights we enjoy. And really, going a step further, the hostility needs to be toned down, because there are swing voters who are not among our ranks but are sympathetic to us, and when we act like idiots, we push them away. I'm not saying that anyone should roll over, just maintain civility at all costs. No name-calling, no angry words, no threats... Just the facts. That is how we'll put this to bed permanently.

I've actually won some over on HuffPo by presenting logical and provable arguments, being respectful to their feelings, and challenging them to think critically about the reality of the situation. It can be done with the right attitude, and if everyone wins over 3-4 undecided people, we're that much stronger for it.

This post was a great find, I'm glad you posted it for me to see.

We'll never be able to come together on this as GUN OWNERS while millions of GUN OWNERS happily and smugly vote for those who would take their firearms away at their first opportunity. Every time I've tried to have a real discussion on this topic with members of certain parties, I've been insulted in one way or another because I'm a libertarian.

There was a lot of truth in that article. Hopefully it will change a few minds - but I won't hold my breath.

wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    We'll never be able to come together on this as GUN OWNERS while millions of GUN OWNERS happily and smugly vote for those who would take their firearms away at their first opportunity. Every time I've tried to have a real discussion on this topic with members of certain parties, I've been insulted in one way or another because I'm a libertarian.

There was a lot of truth in that article. Hopefully it will change a few minds - but I won't hold my breath.

I don't doubt your experience at all. I'm just advocating for us not to do anything to hurt ourselves. They could very well be hurting their own cause by name-calling and insulting you depending on who else is seeing/hearing it. Let them, just don't retaliate, be the bigger man.

As for the politicians, the Democratic reps don't care as much about Republicans sending them emails as when someone who actually voted for them does it. I can't speak for all liberal gun owners, but I hold my representatives accountable even more when I cast a ballot for them. If they cross me, that'll be resolved in time. I'm left of center, but have no party allegiance, and don't vote straight ticket. I always try to choose the better of the two bowls of crap on the ballot, insofar as I can judge it. No one gets my vote by default. And just because those in Washington "would" take guns away, doesn't mean that they "can", just as we witnessed last week.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN

I've had firearms discussions with Conservatives who wanted all of the guns GONE, and I've had discussions with liberals who agreed that gun control is stupid. There's more to voting for a politician than gun control, some of us think that people should have equal rights and stuff like that.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thanks for posting. Libs eat their own pretty quickly (until they apologize)... the author won't get to play with the other libs any more.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've had firearms discussions with Conservatives who wanted all of the guns GONE, and I've had discussions with liberals who agreed that gun control is stupid. There's more to voting for a politician than gun control, some of us think that people should have equal rights and stuff like that.

That's why I said PARTIES. It's also why I mentioned that I get insulted because I'm a libertarian.

There are a lot of gun owners out there happily and smugly throwing the 2nd Amendment under the bus because "there's more to voting than gun control."

You keep on saying that if it makes voting against your own interests more palatable to you. You keep on telling yourself "some of us think people should have equal rights and stuff like that" while specifically voting your rights away if it helps you sleep at night.

For me the first issue is guns. Only if someone passes muster on that issue do I then look at "equal rights and stuff like that" and I manage to find candidates who fit the bill. But I get ridiculed and insulted and hated, even by gun owners right here on this site, because my choices usually end up having a (L) after their name.

So apparently we'll never come together on this issue.

Top Bottom