• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Appearently someone is copying ingo ads and listing them on armslist. I found one yesterday and alerted the ingo member. It was a doctored cut and paste of the pics and info.Im not sure exactly why some one would do this. I do know it cant be good. Im growing concerned that some one might be trying to take down Ingo based on some other small things i have seen lately. We are a huge thorn in the side of the antis.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Was it ad content or just the pics. I've used Google to find pics of a generic item before, obviously with the disclaimer that this isn't a pic of the actual one.

INGO is getting big enough if someone Google's a certain gun we might be fairly high in the search results.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm with Ripper also as my first most likely explanation. No problem with INGO if you have it listed in 50 other places also. There IS a rule that if you make an ad on INGO it can't LINK to an ad elsewhere.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I know it was stolen because I messaged the ingo member a link to the add. It wasnt his. It was a copy and paste of the ad on ingo. Not just pics. There arnt many detonics 1911 sevevice masters around. The text was copied. Though some was removed.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have to admit, that sounds fishy. Best case scenario the guy was very lazy and thought the INGO ad was pretty close to what he would have written so he copied it. :dunno:

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You're all missing a point. Say a scammer copies all the info and pics from your ad. The only thing they change is the phone number (their cell phone). An INGO nice guy calls about the gun you listed, and scammer says 'Sure, that sounds like a deal, and I can even bring it to your house to make the sale!'.

Said INGO nice-guy then posts up saying 'Don't trust S0-&-SO! I tried to buy a gun from him, and he showed up at my house with 3 more armed dudes, and they robbed me of the money!".

Have fun explaining that internet plagiarism is a laughing matter after that...

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    :tinfoil:

Could be someone trying to get an idea of the going price? or maybe even trying a resell in advance type of thing? you know make a few dollars on the deal?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ingo member posted an edit in his ad to this. He stated the other ad was not his and to report it as a scam. It is in the classifieds people. What sounds fishy about something that is real.
    Bad/lazy people do bad things regardless.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Lots of fish

There are lots of fish swimming in the gun buyer pool. That, of course, means there are going to be a lot of guys tossing nets trying to catch a sucker. Don't be a sucker!

The internet is scammer's paradise but there's nothing new about scams. Many years ago, a magazine to which I subscribed had an ad in every issue saying "Send me a dollar and I'll tell you how to make thousands". If you sent the guy a dollar, you got back a postcard telling you to place an ad in a popular magazine saying "Send me a dollar and I'll tell you how to make thousands".

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I can teach you how to protect yourself against internet scammers. Just paypal $1 to scutter01@ingunowners

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Sound a bit paranoid friend... the antis hate armslist cause you have no face or name on their a convicted killer or rapist could likely buy a gun off the site from a unconserned customer tryin to male a quick sale. Thats what the anti's hate. INGO you have a face, name and reputation to uphold. Not to mention all around a better group of gun enthusiasts not scammers.

Top Bottom