Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

User Info Menu

Thunder Ranch's Triad (2 days each of rifle, pistol, shotgun) at Shootrite in Langston, Alabama (Jenny). I am down behind cover shooting off side (left for me) one hand drills.

Shotgun--Scattergun Technologies, FBI Model, Rem 870 12 ga.
    Ammunition--Remington #00 buckshot

With left hand I load one round with right hand behind back. I drop in round and close action, weapons discharges clipping side of cover and going down range into mountain in Alabama (Jenny).

Witnesses (partner doing safety officer duty) confirm that safety on and nothing touched the trigger when weapon discharges.

Stuff happens. I agree that 98% or more of "accidents" are actually better classified as negligence. HOWEVER, we as gun owners need to understand that this stuff (weapons malfunctions especially with 870s, 1911s, ARs inter alia) does happen. That way we are prepared with sand barrels or mountains as backstops. Rule #4 and all.
    A Sigma and a SIGma male

User Info Menu

I was getting ready for a New Years Eve shift on the PD. I was checking my ankle gun. I sent a round into the bedroom wall and it impacted the tree outside. Kinda shook me up. And the wife and kids too. I learned to count the rounds on the bed and the empty holes in the cylinder before dry firing.

My dog slunk away everytime I had a gun in my hand after that. I think the noise hurt his ears. I know it hurt mine.....Smart dog.

If you are around guns, either you have had a NG or you are going to.

Notify someone of my stupidity? I don't think so. My wife still reminds me of that night. I don't need anymore than that.
    Red Fire 372

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sloughfoot View Post
    If you are around guns, eitther you have had a NG or you are going to.
    I don't buy this philosophy.
    If you’re free you’ll never see the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    Listen to Rhino, Coach, NHT3, and as much as I hate to say it, Chezuki. :-)
    Mooresville #78 F. & A. M.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chezuki View Post
    I don't buy this philosophy.
    Nor do I and there are plenty of safe dead shooters to prove it wrong.

User Info Menu

there are plenty of safe dead shooters to prove it wrong.
    Like Steve Malloy?
    A Sigma and a SIGma male

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    Try telling that to an AR-15 "enthusiast"!
    The NRA and it's followers are allowed to practice what ever they like .

In my opinion they set the stage for Negligent discharges and do not deal with handling for their main intended purpose .
    To be used in a gunfight .

Jeff Cooper

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
    RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
    RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

safetyrules

TEMPUS EDAX RERUM : time, devourer of all things

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Que View Post
    If no one is injured I forget about it and never post about in on INGO!
    Great advice

User Info Menu

If no one is injured I forget about it and never post about in on INGO!
    Um, isn't it in the INGO rules that you MUST post about your ND as soon as it happens and you verify that nothing, other than your pride, is too damaged?

Not at all. I follow Kirk's directive to "Stop touching it!", so I've never had one. However, everyone is only one ND away from their first ND.
    That's not true. Some people are 3 and 4 away.

Personally, fix what needs to be fixed, make sure no one is injured, and post on INGO to remind people that stuff happens and that we all need to be careful.
    Quote Originally Posted by LockStocksAndBarrel View Post
    Good point, stephen87! As usual it was well thought out, concise, and well, brilliant.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Thankfully, my only NDs were on the range. But I know someone who had one in his basement. 9mm round penetrated one card table and two 1/2" sheets of plywood before becoming lodged in the third. No harm, no foul, no cops. Even property damage isn't worth a call to LE IMO, assuming the responsible party owns up to the damage and an agreement can be made for repair/replacement.

I thought all GSW required a call to LE from hospital staff these days.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What about if you aren't on the bottom or top floor? Apartment dwellers should have a sand bucket, but they never do. When I was on the street, I'd say I got dispatched to a shot through apartments once a year on average. Luckily, only once did the ND hit someone.
    1 per year? Hardly worth writing home to mom about. Curious how many of those were, um, showing off their new piece.

Quote Originally Posted by 11-B View Post
    that is NEGLIGENCE keep your weapons clean and properly maintain them
    He said it got dirty at the range. I took that to mean fouled from usage, not dropped in the dirty and stomped on just for good measure. Are you trying to say that it's negligent if he doesn't clean it after every shot just to keep it clean?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6