So, You've had a negligent/accidental discharge....now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    So I recently watched an iraqveteran8888 video where they talk about the neg/accidental discharges they respectively have had over the years. I have also read many threads on this forum and others with people talking about their own AD/NDs. I have not read anyone talking about the aftermath of an unfortunate accident so here goes.

so heres a possible scenario - you're at home or work, you're alone and you're cleaning (or playing with) your firearm. you accidentally pop a round off into the floor or wall. What do you do now?
    1) do you call the police and report the incident?
    2) do you do nothing and wait to see if you hear sirens?
    3) do you go bat crap crazy try to hide the evidence and hide?
    4) in this scenario what else might YOU do?

another possible situation - youre in a parking lot or structure and are exiting (or entering) your vehicle and somehow your firearm falls out of your holster and discharges

same questions as the above scenario...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Depends on the situation. My house, into the ground on the first floor, repair damage and move on lesson learned. If the round leaves the house, you need to verify where it went and make sure everyone/everything is ok (and call 911 and a lawyer if not).

If you are following the rules, it will NEVER leave the house.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    1) do you call the police and report the incident?.

If you know where the round went and nobody is hurt, no. If you live in an upstairs apartment and can't get in touch with your neighbor after sending one through the floor, yeah, probably ought to reach out to someone.

Nelg

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Elkhart
    A friend of mine with a LC9 dropped the mag and was checking out the sights and practicing his draw. He had a AD/ND in the kitchen and shot through a cabinet and the bullet was lodged in a jar of cookie butter (his pregnant wife's special treat) She was more concerned about the cookie butter than him or the cabinet.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Repair damage and learn from my mistake. Move on be thankful no one was hurt. Life has many lessons to learn. Be thankful this one was not painful to others.

J Starkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Kokomo
    Hopefully as ling as I continue to do my part as a gun owner I'll never have to worry about it. If for some reason it did ever happen first I'd make sure everyone and everything is ok and if not call 911 if so I'd figure out exactly what was the cause and make sure it never happens again.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    If no one is injured I forget about it and never post about in on INGO!

This.

Or put another way...I would

STFU-Sit_down.jpg
    :whistle:

:D

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    If you know where the round went and nobody is hurt, no. If you live in an upstairs apartment and can't get in touch with your neighbor after sending one through the floor, yeah, probably ought to reach out to someone.
    If one has to unload, I would think it would be better to point it at a ceiling if no other method was available. Downstairs units would direct toward the floor. Would this make any sense?

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    If one has to unload, I would think it would be better to point it at a ceiling if no other method was available. Downstairs units would direct toward the floor. Would this make any sense?

No to me. It violates the rules and you never know when someone is working on the roof or where it may go. Clearing barrel full of sand and several phone books would be better IMHO.

ND, if I KNOW where it went, then learn your lesson and don't let it happen again. If you don't know where it went (which you should if following the 4 rules) then check it out, call 911 as necessary and start hoping that you didn't royally screw up yours or someone else's life.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

What about if you aren't on the bottom or top floor? Apartment dwellers should have a sand bucket, but they never do. When I was on the street, I'd say I got dispatched to a shot through apartments once a year on average. Luckily, only once did the ND hit someone.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    What about if you aren't on the bottom or top floor? Apartment dwellers should have a sand bucket, but they never do. When I was on the street, I'd say I got dispatched to a shot through apartments once a year on average. Luckily, only once did the ND hit someone.

I am in an Apt and have a sand bucket. Not hard to do and
    very cheap.

Are you required by law to report the ND if no damage or injuries to
    anyone else?

Jimmy

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I am in an Apt and have a sand bucket. Not hard to do and
    very cheap.

Are you required by law to report the ND if no damage or injuries to
    anyone else?

Jimmy

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it........:D

I heard a guy that teaches CCW courses in TN say one time that if you're around guns long enough, you'll likely have a ND sooner or later. I will say it was sooner than later for me :rolleyes:. Nobody hurt, damage to my own property, lesson learned/relearned, fortunately I was following at least one of the 4 rules and other than my family, nobody else needed to be told.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Greenfield
    A friend of mine with a LC9 dropped the mag and was checking out the sights and practicing his draw. He had a AD/ND in the kitchen and shot through a cabinet and the bullet was lodged in a jar of cookie butter (his pregnant wife's special treat) She was more concerned about the cookie butter than him or the cabinet.

I guess the magazine disconnect failed to work? My trigger wont budge without the magazine inserted in the gun:dunno:

Top Bottom