• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I am sorry if this in the wrong area. I am thinking about purchasing a Frontier Gun Safe. From the information I was able to find the company went out of business about 10 years ago. Besides that I can't find out anything else about them. Does anybody know if these safes are quality safes or should I buy another brand?Thanks

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I'm the second owner of a Frontier renegade, they named each of their safe models rather then by number of guns, the renegade was rated at 11 or so rifles with the shelves. They are built very well, the body is made of 10 ga. and the door is 3/8 inch steel. I actually have an original catalog if you know what you're looking at pm me and I can look up the specks for you. I like it, and trust its protection, the other thing I like is that it has 4 locking bars in the door. Some lighter cheaper safes only have a couple. While I like my frontier, it you could wait or are just shopping, I'd be sure to look at the Johnson safes (ingo supporter). A Johnson will be my next safe.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Frontier made a good safe. Solid and durable. I always considered them a step above safes in the same price range. Their bolts were slightly thicker and they had one that was across the top. Being in Ft. Wayne, we could go over and just load it up in the truck and take it home.
    Factory wasn't in a real great part of town.

gska3873

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Northeast Indiana
    If you get the Frontier make sure one of the first things you do is take off the front door inner panel and check to make sure all of the screws holding the locking mechanism in place are there and are tight otherwise you could have an issue you don't want to deal with down the road (seen it on them before). Actually its probably good practice on any safe you purchase.

Summit2012

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2018
    Grain Valley
    I'm the second owner of a Frontier renegade, they named each of their safe models rather then by number of guns, the renegade was rated at 11 or so rifles with the shelves. They are built very well, the body is made of 10 ga. and the door is 3/8 inch steel. I actually have an original catalog if you know what you're looking at pm me and I can look up the specks for you. I like it, and trust its protection, the other thing I like is that it has 4 locking bars in the door. Some lighter cheaper safes only have a couple. While I like my frontier, it you could wait or are just shopping, I'd be sure to look at the Johnson safes (ingo supporter). A Johnson will be my next safe.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but my dad has left us an old Frontier safe and I'm looking for some info on it. He did leave the key and combination, but we can't locate the owner's manual for it.
    The sticker on it says it's a model PI530. Looking for the fire rating and weight.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    There is one on Ft Wyane CL. The seller is my wife’s relation. It the real deal Frontier safe when Frontier was the best safes money could buy before all the Chinese safes hit. I would buy it but since we are downsizing our house I no longer have all the room I had before. That and I have a safe already so hard to justify my need of a second one while building. Maybe someone here can use it.

Last edited:

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    Frontier safes are great. I bought mine in 2003. They had a big blowout once a year at the ft. Wayne gun shows. $3500 safe for $1500 if I picked it up. It's a tank. Well made and definitely better quality than the others I was looking at at that time (especially the gun brand ones (Winchester, browning, etc.). Wish they were still made. Mine is about full.

BuckGem

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    The last time I checked which was a few years ago, A gunshop in the area owned by Ed. Hirschy bought the rights to the safe and continued making them. At the time the shop number was 260-627-3119. I also bought one of these safes and think its one of the best ever made

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    The last time I checked which was a few years ago, A gunshop in the area owned by Ed. Hirschy bought the rights to the safe and continued making them. At the time the shop number was 260-627-3119. I also bought one of these safes and think its one of the best ever made
    yes Ed’s safes are TANKS compared to the others you find at GM and Dicks and most gun stores. I bought mine from him about 5 yrs ago. That number is still his business line.

Patterson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2020
    3533 eby
    Frontier safe co.

I recently bought my uncles Frontier safe at his estate auction. I remember when they delivered it to his house I was 7 yrs old. My dad and his 4 brothers unloaded it and moved it into my uncles house. It was so huge that my aunt took a picture of me standing inside of it when it was first opened. I am 56 yrs old now and the safe looks like it’s brand new. I’m looking for information on it. Like how much does it weigh and the cost back then. My safe does not have a name. I have a serial number which 0754 and a model number FI539 Metallic red is color. I have a combination card and a warranty card but that’s it. If anyone has any thing at all I would appreciate it

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Frontier made a good safe. Solid and durable. I always considered them a step above safes in the same price range. Their bolts were slightly thicker and they had one that was across the top. Being in Ft. Wayne, we could go over and just load it up in the truck and take it home.
    Factory wasn't in a real great part of town.

Had to look it up - there was a place that has the best tacos right next door to that.

So I take it they aren't in business anymore...
    Ed Hirschy's still around? I bought my first handgun from him...

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I just spoke to Ed Hirschy as I purchased one of his safes years ago. When the International Harvester was still in Fort Wayne there was a business close to the Harvester that welded up dump truck beds. Their name was Bruco. Bruco let the employees come in and weld up gun safes till they realized they were loosing money on the safes. Those Bruco safes were the first ones Ed sold. I have one and they sold for a little over $500 and were built like tanks. Ed also sold Frontier Safe for a while when they were in the old Mechanics Laundry building on South Clinton Street. Ed went on to designing his own line of safes for quite some time and also sold safes from two other safe manufactures. He finally decided he no longer wanted to deliver and move safes as he got older. He said he still gets calls occasionally from people wanting parts or information on safes he has sold over the years.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Glad to hear that Ed is still around. He custom built a safe for me what seems like a lifetime ago and it was/is built like a tank and still looks new.

Frontier safes are well built and will outlast several owners.

That said, I have to put in a plug for Johnson Safes. Another great place to store your valuables.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Is Ed still appointment only, and only if you're going to buy a gun that day? I haven't been out there in years, but I remember the last time I did he had a pile of safes laying around.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Is Ed still appointment only, and only if you're going to buy a gun that day? I haven't been out there in years, but I remember the last time I did he had a pile of safes laying around.

I have never ever made an appointment, but I call him to ask if what I want is in stock and if it is I tell him I am coming out. If Ed has to order a gun for me, when he calls to let me know it is in I just tell him when I will be arriving. Ed lived in Fort Wayne when I started buying from him approximately 35 years ago (or about 85 guns ago).

Top Bottom