• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Looks nice but pricy.

We have the correct size cylinder cut in half starting to make one. (Graduating from a golf ball mortar!) I'm guessing if you were handy you could make one for less than $250 materials.

Since we're only using 1/2 of the cylinder we jokingly tell people we are going to use the other half for the ball return......

Buck67

Plinker
    Jun 26, 2013
    I have seen one shoot bowling balls about 400 yards. The price seems too steep. I mean you are buying a cut off Oxygen cylinder and a welded on powder chamber. BTW, the one I saw needed to have the bowling balls turned down on a lathe so they would fit in the barrel. 350 grains of black powder and off they went.

Buck67

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    How many times can you shoot the same bowling ball before it breaks

Depends on if you find it*** The ones I have seen recovered usually have good size chunks out of them...As long as the chunks are not to big you could reuse it.. Of course it may throw your aim off a little...

But the big part is finding it....

Now Anvils you can reuse those again, and you can use a metal detector to help you find where they are hiding

Last edited:

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Depends on if you find it*** The ones I have seen recovered usually have good size chunks out of them...As long as the chunks are not to big you could reuse it.. Of course it may throw your aim off a little...

But the big part is finding it....

Now Anvils you can reuse those again, and you can use a metal detector to help you find where they are hiding

Epoxy 3 feet of bright poly rope in one of the holes. It will help you lower it into the mortar, and aid in finding the ball.

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    Ok If you look google ISSMC 2005- 2006 BBMC you will see pictures and videos of bowling ball mortars firing. This was a sub match of the machine gun shoot.

$ 5000 is way to much. I cut my tube down to make it easier to move and handle. I use up to 5 35mm film can. of 2f powder.

If you go to the site I own the two brite red tubes, 1 for bowling balls and a 4inch to use with softballs

i still have a full length tube that I have not built yet. these are a lot of fun and you can reuse the bowling ball quite a few times.

NEVER use smokeless powder in these. The finger holes in the bowling ball make quite a wishtle when they come down.

Mike

Top Bottom