• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I realize we live a "free society" where folks (like me) have many and varied opinions. I know what I'm going to say will make some angry. I'm, frankly, past caring.

I carry concealed everyday, most recently with my M&P Shield in my new G-Code Incog holster. I consider it a responsibility, not unlike carrying insurance, in order to protect my family, myself and those around me - there are a lot of bad, bad people out there. Just lately I've seen more open carry folks while I'm out and about than I've seen in all my life. I sort of understand the thinking but I just think it's dumb.

To me, whether we can or can't open carry isn't even part of the issue. If you are not a member of law enforcement and you're open carrying, IMHO, your losing the element of surprise and potentially inviting trouble where it other wise wouldn't be. I've thought about this for quite a while. The positives for allowing others to know without a doubt that you are armed doesn't even come close to the negatives.

And I'm just going to say it, if you happen to be one of those people who feel big and think you are gaining respect of others because you have your weapon out there, no offense intended, grow up please.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    IBTL

fe90bede.jpg

I have enough for everyone.
    35735f6a.jpg

And I wounder why he did not post this in here. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/71996-open-carry-argument.html

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I realize we live a "free society" where folks (like me) have many and varied opinions. I know what I'm going to say will make some angry. I'm, frankly, past caring.

I carry concealed everyday, most recently with my M&P Shield in my new G-Code Incog holster. I consider it a responsibility, not unlike carrying insurance, in order to protect my family, myself and those around me - there are a lot of bad, bad people out there. Just lately I've seen more open carry folks while I'm out and about than I've seen in all my life. I sort of understand the thinking but I just think it's dumb.

To me, whether we can or can't open carry isn't even part of the issue. If you are not a member of law enforcement and you're open carrying, IMHO, your losing the element of surprise and potentially inviting trouble where it other wise wouldn't be. I've thought about this for quite a while. The positives for allowing others to know without a doubt that you are armed doesn't even come close to the negatives.

And I'm just going to say it, if you happen to be one of those people who feel big and think you are gaining respect of others because you have your weapon out there, no offense intended, grow up please.
    not_this_crap_again.jpg

Bull1315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Terre Haute
    A little harsh perhaps, But I agree with what your saying. Open carry has the possability of causing some problems. For me, I prefer not to draw attention to the fact that im armed. Situational awareness would point towards the biggest threat.. who would be the open carry person from the "crazed, criminals" perspective. Maybe i just like being sneaky.. uh

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    A little harsh perhaps, But I agree with what your saying. Open carry has the possability of causing some problems. For me, I prefer not to draw attention to the fact that im armed. Situational awareness would point towards the biggest threat.. who would be the open carry person from the "crazed, criminals" perspective. Maybe i just like being sneaky.. uh

You just answered you own question, the criminal sees an armed person as a threat, so they move on.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What if I DON'T feel big, and I'M NOT trying to gain any respect? Do I still need to conform to your sense of (im)maturity?

Projection much?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

There are many on here that agree with you. They just won't say it. :)

If you do the Ben Franklin thing objectively from a practical standpoint, there will be no argument. But then again, its a highly emotional subject with issues like freedom and rights that does not fit neatly into a pro/con comparison.

And of course, then there are the opinions!:) Which become facts for many folks...

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Troll much :(

I went to the thread and alerted to this one.

OP. You should REALLY read the thread you've been pointed to.

It will save us all a lot of grief.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Top Bottom