• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've been intrigued with some of the newer high powered airguns out there for some time, and last night I finally went for one. I ordered a Benjamin Marauder .25 cal package deal from Pyramidair.com. The deal was for the gun, an Air Venturi 3335psi pump, 200 Benjamin Dome pellets, an extra mag, a pump adapter for the gun, scope mounts, and a Tech Force 4-12x40 illuminated mil-dot reticle scope, which has gotten a couple decent reviews from airgunners.

Can't wait to see this thing and give it a whirl. Might score some tree rat with it, too!

I've had a nice break-barrel gun, but nothing like this.

Here's what inspired it, for me:

Girandoni Air Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I would like to have one for varmints around the house and keep quiet doing it. I have ZERO knowledge of them though.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I would like to have one for varmints around the house and keep quiet doing it. I have ZERO knowledge of them though.

I've been tinkering with the idea of one, and researching them, for a year or so. Their performance has become really impressive. I also like the stealth of them, from a hunting perspective. I had been thinking about a suppressor for my .223's, but this just wiped my wallet out, so this is now going to be my "suppressed" gun.

Jammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    air gun technology has really exploded the last couple years....I've even seen a Crosman AR upper to convert to 0.177 pellets!
    I have a Gamo Whisper Silent Cat .177....definately NOT silent, but at 1000fps and 13fpe it WILL take out a ground hog at 20+ yds; something my gun buddies said couldn't be done. Killed 3 ground hogs this summer with it.
    I thought about the heavier calibers, but in my neck of the state only 0.177 can be found easily. And since I proved I could do it no new air rifles are planned. I love my Gamo, but I have to caution you. Gamo is the only company that seems to NOT want you to customize or change it's out-of-box design and will not sell (or inform) you on specific parts. I have, however, personalized my rifle with a Charlie-da-Tuna match trigger, updated spring and seals, mount dampeners, bipod, rifle sling, and Leapers/UTG 4-16x40mm SWAT scope.

Knowing what I know now I would go with a gas ram powerplant instead of a spring (better recoil, no spring deformation, cold and hot performance) and probably not the Gamo name....Umarex Fusions are looking real nice and they are open to customizing.....
    Also know if you are new to high-power spring rifles they "jump" quite a bit on recoil and as illogical as it sounds, the "infantry hold" IS the best hold to learn tight patterns....look it up on You-Tube :twocents:

...looking back OP, I guess I meant to say "Yes, I know a little bit. What is your question"..lol

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a 30 year old Feinworkenbau side cocker Air rifle. It has the all position target stock and the Anshultz style front globe and rear aperature sights. Regulated is for 500fps to be legal for olympic style 10 meter competition. Scary accurate. If your group is not one hole, don't blame the rifle. It is the best offhand training tool I have.

As ammo stays almost unobtainable, We may see the day when serious competitors use air guns like many places in europe.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I have an FX Cyclone with walnut stock for about 10 years now. one of the very first batch imported to the U.S.

and an LD carbine in converted to run on compressed air instead of liquid CO2.

Jammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    As ammo stays almost unobtainable, We may see the day when serious competitors use air guns like many places in europe.

noticed that lately quite a few gun shows (cable) have highlighted handgun training facilities teaching and recommending the uber-realistic, all-metal airsoft versions of popular sidearms to practice ccw draw and dexterity drills.
    not a bad suggestion as you can do it in your garage and not ruin your ears of the drywall (too much)....I have a very heavy 1911 airsoft knock-off that fits my Blackhawk Serpa perfectly....
    and, when I'm really board, I go outside and scare the hell out of the neighbors with my UTG type 96 all metal sniper rifle....bolt-action, 23 per mag, and 4 mags....lots of satisfaction "slamming" that bolt forward and watching people trying to figure out what it is.....

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Currently own six airguns: Four rifles and two pistols.

Here's my latest one: Crosman | Airguns | Rifles | Break Barrel | MTR77NPC with carry handle (.177)

Actually it's my second one of these. However, the first was found to have serious problems and was returned to Crosman. I've shown this to a few people, and everyone first tries to pull the charging handle back, and then look confused when it doesn't move.

It looks and feels and weighs the same as my AR-15. Also, it takes about 45 pounds of pressure to cock and engage the action on this Nitro-Piston rifle. I'm not a hunter, so I don't know what it will do to animals. But at 1000 fps with lead pellets and 1200 for alloy, I wouldn't want to be in front of it. I think it recoils as much as a 10 22, and is almost as loud.

I told the rep at Crosman they should have called it a "Crosman AR15-.177". At the moment I am just now becoming able to cock this thing, due to my recent surgery, but I did shoot two targets yesterday and was very pleased with the results.

You can also get a second model that comes with a 4X32 scope, for a few dollars more.

Oh! BTW, the Crosman upper that can go on your AR lower, is a single shot, and about 600 fps, and around $600. Just an FYI...

Enjoy the day! It's Monday!!

Jammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I hear that new Crosman AR is a bear to cock normally....wanted something to play with, but I decided to go with the TYPE 96 sniper....
    and, I agree, $600 to turn my AR lower into a single-shot, 600fps pellet rifle was a little bit dollar stupid...I can buy 2 1000fps and still pocket $200 (well, before I start buying toys for them)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Next month (October) will start the NRA indoor precision air rifle and pistol matches around here. We shoot at 10 meters, one-hand with the air pistol and off-hand unsupported with the air rifle.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I hear that new Crosman AR is a bear to cock normally....QUOTE]

Yup... It surely is. In the film clip, the guy holds it against his hip, and is able to cock it.

I have to put the butt on the floor, brace it with my left instep, then push down on the end of the barrel until the action engages. Onliest way I can do it. And today, after shooting it yesterday, my right side, near my gb incision it very tender. I'll be taking it easy the next few days!

Jammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    @BE Mike.... very nice. Some serious $$ there I would assume. I giggle everytime I watch one of those events and hear those big rifles just "click"...

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    That is one big advantage. Pellets are cheap. The initial investment isn't, though, at least for the one I bought.

I have a 30 year old Feinworkenbau side cocker Air rifle. It has the all position target stock and the Anshultz style front globe and rear aperature sights. Regulated is for 500fps to be legal for olympic style 10 meter competition. Scary accurate. If your group is not one hole, don't blame the rifle. It is the best offhand training tool I have.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    The Dragon Claw is actually half the price of the Benjamin Rogue. It also is MUCH better looking, IMO.

search Youtube for the "DragonClaw"....50 cal "airgun".....rediculous

...there is a price point where I go "it's time to go real firearm" before I start spending THAT kind of money......

Top Bottom