• ...and so much more!
  • 99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    Long time reader, first time posting.

I was wondering, as the title states; what are the hours and prices of Pop Guns indoor range on the east side? Can you bring your own rounds, or do you have to buy theirs? bring or buy targets? case cleanup? I have never been to an indoor range. Any and all info is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Don't know their hours. Their prices suck. Bring your own ammo if you want. Their range sucks. But they will let you collect your brass. At least they did the one and only time I went there.

If you want good prices try Bradis or Plainfield Shooting Supply.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Make sure to take your own ammo, only restriction is it has to be brass cased. I was there on 4/5 and they were out of range ammo in .40 and .45, and if they do have it, those cal will be between $20 and $25 per 50 rounds.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    They have gone to new 'Summer Hours' now and they are closing at 7:00PM. Also range ammo is only available for purchase if you are shooting on the range or with the purchase of a gun.

raider600

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Beech Grove
    its like $20 an hour. $5 per extra person on the range. You can have up to 3 people on one range. Targets are a $1. You get a free one though

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I know Don's sucks and everyone on here trashes Pops as well, but are there ANY other indoor public ranges around the indy area??

Long time reader, first time posting.

I was wondering, as the title states; what are the hours and prices of Pop Guns indoor range on the east side?

If you want good prices try Bradis or Plainfield Shooting Supply.
    In case you don't know, they don't have ranges. Their gun pricing is far better than Pops though.

Last edited:

gruemeyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    The Family Indoor SHooting Range formaly known as POPGUNS. Did have ammunition restrictions all summer due to the extreme shortage of ammo. They restricted practice ammunition so their range customers would have ammuntion and defensive am,mo so they could continue to sell firearms. Thi sis no different than any other range accross the country as the supply depleted. Regarding prices - Yes the prices went up beciase their cost went up. At times they were forced to pay retail from the big box stores, add a $1.00 and put on the shelves for their range customers.
    Now as the availablity is improving they are allowing limited ammo sales to the public and prices have gone down as their costs go down.

As a point of information. IN 1993 there were over 600 licensed FFL holders in Central Indiana and 24 retails stores. There is now only a handfull. If retail stores are not supported you won't have anywhere to shoot.
    To those you have an issue with the store. How many of you web complainers have had the guts to go directly to the sotres mgmt to voice your concerns.

gruemeyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    ALso includes free eye and ear rental.. Or you can purchase a range memebership fo $149.00 a year and shoot all week until 6pm at no cost an donly $6.00 on weekends.

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    besides the $20/hour being hard to swallow at times, I find the convenience of Pop's hard to beat.

Sure WW is free, but that's a 100 mile round trip for me, and its outdoor.

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    My 2 cents: I like that range. Yes, its a little dirty and cramped, but it also has knowledgable and friendly staff, and most of the people who frequent the range are friendly as well. Yes, their ammo prices are high, but who's aren't? I've only gone once by myself, so the $20/hr is what it is, but I usually go with friends so its not as bad.

As far as other ranges, unless wyatt's range is done, there's not much else for indoor shooting.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    The Family Indoor SHooting Range formaly known as POPGUNS. Did have ammunition restrictions all summer due to the extreme shortage of ammo. They restricted practice ammunition so their range customers would have ammuntion and defensive am,mo so they could continue to sell firearms. Thi sis no different than any other range accross the country as the supply depleted. Regarding prices - Yes the prices went up beciase their cost went up. At times they were forced to pay retail from the big box stores, add a $1.00 and put on the shelves for their range customers.
    Now as the availablity is improving they are allowing limited ammo sales to the public and prices have gone down as their costs go down.

As a point of information. IN 1993 there were over 600 licensed FFL holders in Central Indiana and 24 retails stores. There is now only a handfull. If retail stores are not supported you won't have anywhere to shoot.
    To those you have an issue with the store. How many of you web complainers have had the guts to go directly to the sotres mgmt to voice your concerns.
    First of all, I have purchased numerous firearms and other gear at Pop's, and from my experience it used to be a decent place. The last time I was there, I was about to drop considerable coin on not only a handgun, but a rifle also. I will not name names but the guy I dealt with, was not only rude but he seemed to be more interested in the 2 IMPD officers that were standing behind me. After talking pretty much to myself for a few minutes, I turned to walk away, when he called after me and asked what the problem was I told him what had aggravated me and I got the :rolleyes: and that was that. I have not, nor will I ever step foot in that place again. In my opinion when the "former" owner Mike was always there service seemed a bit better.

My 2 cents: I like that range. Yes, its a little dirty and cramped, but it also has knowledgable and friendly staff
    Friendly is a stretch.:twocents:

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis

Holy crap, the gloves are off! This guys ready to throw down hardcore.

As far as I can tell in this thread, nobody even really said anything all that negative about Popguns before your little outburst there. Nonetheless, though, what little grumbling was made, I have to agree with. The prices are outrageously high on virtually everything there, from used guns to ammo to range time. The staff are among some of the least knowledgable, most apathetic and downright rude retail, let alone gun store, employees I've ever met. The service there is, frankly, terrible, and I've stood and listened to people asking questions about guns with only a blank stare as a response or, worse yet, outright lies.

On a positive note, I don't think their range is really not that bad. The lanes are reasonably spacious, they have a fair amount of bench space in the back and they do provide hearing and eye protection if you don't have your one. But $20 an hour is just ridiculous, especially when you consider the money they should be making off the brass that less serious shooters don't bother collecting.

It's true that there are very few public, indoor ranges in the Indianapolis area but that by no means grants free license to gouge consumers.

drd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Westfield
    I've been going to Family Shooting Range (Popguns) since January. I bought a membership and have more than recovered my investment. Sure sometimes they may be preoccupied or busy making a sale but they have always been nice and willing to help. I'm a guy that appreciates an old building and have patients for equipment that is sometimes down for repair. I love shooting there but can under stand if you have had problems. It was my first range experience and I had a lesson with one of the staff. He helped me get familiar with handguns and now I've got 3 with number four on the way. I would hate to see them close so I encourage you to to give them a chance. I really recommend the membership. I also gives you priority for the first available range, a nice perk on a busy day.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Feel free to hate me, but i got to say i've always enjoyed shooting at pops. I take my own ammo, and its always been fun. Sure they are a bit high on some of there firearms, but no one says you have to buy from them. They are always selling stuff, so some people must like their prices

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Back in 2003 when I was a member there, the guy named Terry, a big guy with army style hair, was always helpful and knowledgeable to me. I learned from him first, what it meant "limp wristing", while shooting a Glock. I don't shoot there these days, spent most of my range time at Eagle Creek now. But last Sunday afternoon I went there, to shoot, it was still crowded with every lane taken. Terry wasn't there but the people behind the counter didn't seem to be rude or indifferent to me...

Oh, and I think the range itself is still the best indoor one around here, unless Don's Guns changed lately?...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom