• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Child, 3, dies after shot in head; boy may have shot self

Apparently a 3 year old gained access to a handgun and things went tragically wrong from there. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child, especially like that. Things like this and SIDS investigations are the main reason I told my supervisors I had no desire to transfer to the Homicide side of the office. I occasionally get roped in to assisting when robberies overlap, but almost all of my victims are adults so I never get first hand involvement in these. I hate to even read the information memos that come out on the child deaths. I'm glad we've got dedicated people who can get past their emotion and give child victims the professional investigation they deserve, but I equally know my own weaknesses and realize I cannot be one of them.

Just an incredibly sad situation, and a reminder that NONE of us are guaranteed a tomorrow. Value those around you.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The fact that a 3 year old gained access to a loaded firearm should REQUIRE charges be filed against whomever was the child's guardian at the time.

I understand it's a great tragedy, but it could not have been possible if not for negligence.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Watch my parents bury two sons, no one should ever bury their babies. And no one should have firearms in reach of children. So sad reading these stories. And BehindBlueI's is differently right, love 'em like there's no tomorrow, one day you'll be right.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The fact that a 3 year old gained access to a loaded firearm should REQUIRE charges be filed against whomever was the child's guardian at the time.

I understand it's a great tragedy, but it could not have been possible if not for negligence.
    What if a kid drowns in a pool or sticks a fork in a socket? Should the parents be charged then too? Those accidents could have been prevented. Why is one accident anymore tragic than another?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I would think you're smart enough to differentiate between a carried firearm and an unattended firearm.

This is the kind of "internet advice" that causes problems. People read the "begging" thread and think it's a good idea, yet don't know/understand the basic safety rules associated with firearms and accidents (negligence) happens.

I don't want to say: I told you so…..but I really think we ought to put those rules in every OP before we recommend being ready to let loose a round in milliseconds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have lost a son. The pain will never go away completely. My loss was medical. I can not even begin to imagine the emotions involved if his loss was in any way my fault.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't think charges must always be filed unless something was done intentionally. I can't imagine the life long punishment of knowing I contributed to killing my baby. This is why when it comes to firearms I do not take things for granted and always follow the four rules and always secure my guns on me or in a SAFE or in a ALWAYS locked room.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Because putting the parents in jail will make it all better, right? The parents cannot be punished worse than they already are.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Some news are reporting that the gun discharged when it hit the floor.. Does anyone have an idea what make / model gun it was ?

All guns can do this. I know I have been yelled at over this but this is what happens when we do not respect firearms and think that they are not dangerous.

Eez gon, eez not safe.

Guns belong in holsters on belts. If it is not there, lock 'em up if you have kids.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What if a kid drowns in a pool or sticks a fork in a socket? Should the parents be charged then too? Those accidents could have been prevented. Why is one accident anymore tragic than another?

While I understand your comment, I believe the argument to be unreasonable.

No, if a child sticks a fork in a socket and is electrocuted the parent (or guardian) should not necessarily be charged, but maybe.
    If the parent or guardian watched this event happen and did nothing to intervene, then yes, by all means charge them, to the fullest extent of the law.
    If a child drowns in a pool, or even in a bath tub, the parent or guardian should not necessarily be charged.

These circumstances don't stack up to the level of criminal negligence that leaving a loaded firearm unattended does.
    It may or may not be a child that finds the firearm.
    It could have been ANYONE else, and that could have led to a "shooting spree".

My point is that firearm ownership SHOULD carry with it a certain level of personal responsibility. You simply can NOT "forget" when the subject is kids and firearms.
    It really shouldn't be that hard to comprehend.

If you own a firearm, YOU are responsible for securing it at ALL times, PERIOD!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Because putting the parents in jail will make it all better, right? The parents cannot be punished worse than they already are.

Believe it or not, there are parents out there that would repeat this tragedy out of shear stupidity.

What ever happened to personal responsibilities in society today?

Top Bottom