• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    Enjoyed watching the movie Jack Reacher but wondered about the validity of the long range shooting scene. He rolled from his back to his belly to shoot. Was this simply a cinematography stunt or is there a school of thought that actually teaches this sort of protocol to set your base? Seems odd to me? That damn Hollywood, sometimes they do something so silly it makes me wonder what I do and do not know!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have never seen the movie, but the support elbow is planted and the body is rolled or pivoted around that point to establish NPOA with a sling.

I generally ignore hollywood and its shooting scenes though. Or I'm shaking my head at the absurdities.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That was drama. I can think of no combat training where you start out with your back to the enemy and your eyes away from the field of fire. Simply foolishness. I also get a kick that he rolls over to set the rifle on a pre placed sandbag. I never remember any 'Nam vets shooting from sandbags, especially scout/sniper, DM or special ops. Must be something new.

The joker with the tripod mounted spotting scope having empty pistol brass in his ears has been done may times over the years. Not as good as the waxy cotton balls used in old school days, but they do take some of the bite out of the muzzle report.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I love Hollywood. People actually try the stuff they see on movies, practice it and think it's valid. Just gives me a better chance at surviving and destroying my enemy with valid tactics when the SHTF while they are trying out their goofball method they learned watching NCIS or whatever...

Hey, POST 5000!!!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That was drama. I can think of no combat training where you start out with your back to the enemy and your eyes away from the field of fire. Simply foolishness. I also get a kick that he rolls over to set the rifle on a pre placed sandbag. I never remember any 'Nam vets shooting from sandbags, especially scout/sniper, DM or special ops. Must be something new.

I have no comment on the movie, but you've seriously never seen anyone shoot off of a sandbag/sand sock??? What about a backpack or other improvised rest?

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Using the sling --- which he seems to be doing --- I do roll into the rifle a little bit. But not nearly that dramatically.

Also, he seems to be managing the recoil exceptionally well. Almost like there isn't any at all!

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I was finally able to watch the clip on a different computer. At least he isn't sanding down his trigger finger "so he can better feel the trigger" like that other actor did in a different movie.

It sure is a lot of moving around for someone who should be interested in being stealthy.

There is at least one member on this forum that was a scout sniper in VietNam that would know for sure if sandbags were used in the field on real shots. I have not seen Direland posting here for quite a while though. I can't imagine a guy humping sandbags in the field. That seems kinda stupid.

I know I never bothered with them as an EOD guy. I was not a scout sniper though. I can't think of too many shots I took from prone. There was always something in the way of the scope and I had to get higherto shoot over it.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    It would be hard to stay still at respiratory pause with your stomach flat on the ground, :):

At the very end of the clip, when he drops the targets on the counter, those are some fine Busse knives under that glass counter top.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So I'm the only one who ever had to crawl, on my back, under and obstacle and then roll to a shooting position? Well, me and everyone I cycled with? OK I thought it was common.

...but as to what he did in the movie....whatever. Looked a little odd, but not too different from some things I did....only we generally separated the movement from the shooting. Safety First!

Top Bottom