• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I usually fly out of Indy a few times a year, later this year I have a trip planned for somewhere in the US where my license to carry is recognized. Curious what the exact procedure is for flying with a firearm? I know you can, I believe you must inform the staff who weigh your bags when checking in and they arrange it. Lock box, unloaded, ammo separate, all that stuff, correct? Do you find TSA gives you more hassle when going through security or are they there usual lazy selves? (I've never had trouble except the one time I had allen wrenches or a screw driver or something in my bag by mistake they took) How about when you arrive at your destination, what then? How do you retrieve it once you land?

Any issues I should prepare for? I know it's been discussed in the past here but I don't want to bump an old thread and I'd prefer to not Google 'flying with a gun' or some **** that will get me put on a no fly list, haha. :tinfoil:

Gonna be checking out some property in south western US and would like to be able to carry while I am there and moping around unfamiliar territory. Probably spend a couple nights camping out too as well Any advice would be great. I believe someone suggested sending it beforehand from your LGS to a gun store down there instead of relying on the airline to successfully transfer it for you without them losing it... Unsure what the best option would be. Now that I carry daily now and don't leave my house without being armed it'd be strange to be somewhere else in the US without one.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    I think James Yeager has a youtube video describing the process. Also check the tsa and airline sites. Never done it myself but sounds easy as long as you know for sure your permit is valid at your destination.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I think James Yeager has a youtube video describing the process. Also check the tsa and airline sites. Never done it myself but sounds easy as long as you know for sure your permit is valid at your destination.

It is. The flight I am looking at is a direct flight, but I've also had flights in the past that had me stopping in Chicago (for example) before for a quick layover... I suspect in a situation where I had a layover in a State that did not recognize my permit, even though I am not carrying in the state, that'd be bad? I try to avoid O'Hare nowadays if I can.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    The last time I flew with a firearm and ammo I put everything in a locked Pelican case. Magazines were unloaded and the ammo was in a factory box in the same case. It was fine per TSA regs at the time. Check your airline and current TSA regs before you use my experience as an example.

MENTAL NOTE: Be prepared to hear your name called over the intercom. TSA may want the key to your gun case so they can verify its contents meet regulations. Beyond that, I haven't had any issues or extra hassle. If you hear your name at all just head to the security desk and they'll direct you on where to go.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    It is. The flight I am looking at is a direct flight, but I've also had flights in the past that had me stopping in Chicago before for a quick layover... I suspect in a situation where I had a layover in a State that did not recognize my permit, even though I am not carrying in the state, that'd be bad? I try to avoid O'Hare nowadays if I can.

Your layover in Chicago shouldn't be a problem. Your bag has already been inspected and verified by that point. I flew in and out of California with a handgun and didn't have issues.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    While there are federal standards, I believe each airline handles this a little differently from the next.
    It is very important to call the airline you will be flying and ask them their procedure.
    It will save you some hassle for sure.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It's pretty painless and actually pretty secure. To check a handgun you have to lock it at the counter and only you can have a key. For this reason many people with expensive camera gear utilize this process to ensure their camera gear is extra safe by also checking a firearm with it (assuming they are going to/from a legal place). They also cannot externally mark your bag as to what it contains, if they try to do that stop them and tell them to read up on their federal laws...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Any issues I should prepare for?

Please check your range bag for loose rounds.

2006 I was flying to Dallas with an older Waller & Sons range range. There were loose rounds under the lining over the course of the years (.22, 9mm, .45, .223, etc.) and TSA found them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    It's pretty painless and actually pretty secure. To check a handgun you have to lock it at the counter and only you can have a key. For this reason many people with expensive camera gear utilize this process to ensure their camera gear is extra safe by also checking a firearm with it (assuming they are going to/from a legal place). They also cannot externally mark your bag as to what it contains, if they try to do that stop them and tell them to read up on their federal laws...

They're even smarter than using a firearm, they'll stick a cheap box of .22LR in there and declare ammo. You still have to lock it up and cheaper and takes up less space than a gun.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It is. The flight I am looking at is a direct flight, but I've also had flights in the past that had me stopping in Chicago (for example) before for a quick layover... I suspect in a situation where I had a layover in a State that did not recognize my permit, even though I am not carrying in the state, that'd be bad? I try to avoid O'Hare nowadays if I can.

I recommend doing a quick search on the this General Firearms board. There are several discussions about it with all the info you need.

It is pretty painless though. Leave yourself a few (5-10) extra minutes when you check in at the counter. Let the ticket agent know that you need to declare a firearm. They will have you fill out a little card that goes INSIDE your case. I've only ever done it in Chicago :eek: and Spokane, WA, and in each case, they had me step to the side to another counter where a TSA agent inspected my case (just looked inside) and wiped it for explosives. At that point, I could lock my case with my padlocks, I put it inside another duffel (with TSA locks on that) and off it went.

Chicago doesn't matter. You will never touch the bag again once you leave Indy until you arrive at your destination. Also, Illinois and Chicago are fine with travelers having possession of their guns (enclosed in a case, of course). I've flown out of there several times with my firearms, and it's no trouble at all. NYC or NJ on the other hand?.....

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    As stated, check the TSA regs but also check the specific airlines website. I know that the last time I flew (pretty sure it was United) they took it one step further and wanted the handgun locked in a hard side case and that case locked in a piece of hard sided luggage.
    As soon as I got to the counter I politely ran through their requirements. "Ma'am, I am traveling with a handgun today. It is unloaded and locked in a hard case, I have ammunition. It is less than 11 pounds and in the original manufacturers packaging, etcetera, etcetera" She seemed very pleased to deal with someone who had taken a few minutes to educate themselves. Buy some TSA locks. The TSA has a master key to open them instead of cutting them. They did open the ammo case for inspection, relocked it, and placed a paper stating such in the inside top of the duffel bag. Very smooth process. I think they seem to trust you more when you declare a weapon and intentionally open yourself up to further scrutiny.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Buy some TSA locks. The TSA has a master key to open them instead of cutting them. They did open the ammo case for inspection, relocked it, and placed a paper stating such in the inside top of the duffel bag.

This is NOT correct - do not put TSA approved locks on the hardside gun case (where your ammo should also be). Use a standard key lock case or combination case and DO NOT give the key or combination to anyone. If TSA wants to open the case for inspection, they will have YOU do it - that's why you listen for them to call your name over the paging system. If you're hardside case is INSIDE your checked suitcase, the process is the same - your suitcase needs to be a hardside one and have a standard or combination lock and only you have the key or combination.

This is from the United Airlines website, but I suspect that most all airlines have similar policies:

• The firearm must be packaged in a hard-sided container capable of being locked. The container must be locked and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. If a hard-sided container is needed, see the container section of this site.
    • Handguns must be packed in hard-side lockable luggage. Baggage containing handguns must be locked at the time of acceptance by United Airlines and the key or combination retained in the passenger's custody.

I've found that airline personnel AND the TSA are often confused by the regulations. I think they just don't see enough checked firearms to cause them to really learn the regs. Be prepared to quote the regs at almost any point on your journey. I've had shotgun cases come out on the regular baggage belt, and I've had to go into a back room to get the case after opening it again for TSA to prove that I had the key or combination (meaning that the case is mine, I suppose). Very little consistency from airport to airport, and function to function.

Last edited:

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    I printed the regs and had them with me just in case. It was very sime at both Indy and Orlando in my case. Indy has you check I. With the TSA supervisor when you go through security. It was easier in Orlando, the TSA X-ray is right behind the ticket lines and they scan the bag and clear any flags right there. No need to worry about you missing a call over the intercom.

DO NOT USA a TSA lock and make sure the car cannot be pried open with your fingers when locked. I used a SIG factory case with a lock on each slide lock. I also put the chamber flag in the pistol just to quickly show it was clear.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Your layover in Chicago shouldn't be a problem. Your bag has already been inspected and verified by that point. I flew in and out of California with a handgun and didn't have issues.

This is also not necessarily correct. I tried to find a link to the story, but could not.

There was gentleman flying from A to B. In both A & B, his LTCH was valid and he also followed all proper instructions for traveling with his gun. However, he had a connection in New York city. At that connection, his second leg of his flight was canceled until the next day. The airline had everyone claim their bags at baggage claim.

He took his bag to his hotel and returned to the airport the next day. Following the same procedures, he informed the airline that there was gun in his bag. He was arrested for carrying a concealed handgun in NYC, which is a big no, no. He fought the charges in court with what appeared to be a very valid argument. He lost anyway.

Found a story that may be the one I'm thinking of. Link below is a story about New Jersey, not New York, but it may be it. Either way, it demonstrates the point.
    Traveling Man's Gun Arrest Appealed to Supreme Court | Fox News

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I haven't flown, with a handgun, since 2004..... I did NOT use tsa locks.... the above info is true..... use your own locks, and they MAY have YOU open the case, for inspection ..... Then YOU relock, and keep the key in YOUR possession... pretty simple, really .....

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I guess some read into my post too much. The TSA locks were on the case containing my ammunition, not the handgun. And no, the TSA did not call my name they just opened the case, checked it and relocked it. You can have the ammo in the same case, if you have room. I did not so I had a separate case. Don't have a false sense of security with two small padlocks on your gun case. The TSA and airlines have access to bolt cutters.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Seems like a easy process. One thing not clear to me. Does the locked case containing the handgun then need to be placed in another luggage bag?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Seems like a easy process. One thing not clear to me. Does the locked case containing the handgun then need to be placed in another luggage bag?

No, it does not. Thought if you weren't going to do so, make sure you have a good, strong case, that doesn't have a firearm mfg's name on the outside. =)

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I go to handgunlaw.us & get info for each of the states that I will be in, as well as the TSA website & the airline website for the one I will be flying on. I print off all this info & familiarize myself w/ them. One must comply w/ the federal standards, but an airline may have more stringent requirements, especially for transporting ammo.
    On the day of the trip, I unload the gun(s) to be taken & put it in a hard sided case then install non TSA locks on it. I then place that case in my suitcase & package my ammo in an approved manner (basically a hard case or original box) & place TSA locks on the suitcase.
    When checking in @ the airport I inform the ticket agent that, "I need to check some unloaded firearms in my checked baggage." They will likely want to look @ them, then they will fill out a form & put it in the suitcase. I then ask, "Where would you like for me to wait for TSA?" Frequently they will say that I don't need to wait, but I politely tell them that every time I fly, TSA comes to retrieve the keys for the locks on my case. I then wait until TSA does just that. Once that is completed, I go to the terminal & hop on the plane.
    I do the same on the return trip.
    Be sure that you're not flying out of a restrictive jurisdiction (NY) coming back. They routinely arrest people that attempt to check their pistols because they don't have a NY license.
    Have a good trip & don't stress about it too much. Just make sure you are legal & w/ in the airlines policies & it will go smooth as silk.

Top Bottom