Range Report: Annual Long Distance Shoot with 42769vette/A&A Optics (pics/vids)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Two years ago 42769vette invited lovemywoods and Que out to Liberty, IN to stretch out their rifles to 700+ yards on his family farm. They returned with big grins and I was VERY jealous. You can read about their time here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ar-long-distance-shooting-42769vette-que.html

Last year we were invited back and I, along with OneBadV8 and lovemywoods, made the journey east to spend the day shooting at distances we don't shoot regularly. It was 25 degrees and VERY windy but we stuck it out and still had a great time. Of course we all agreed that if we did it again we'd hold out for warmer weather. The catch was that it had to be before April when the crops are planted and we lose the "range". You can read about that experience here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...oting-out-730-yards-42769vette-pics-vids.html

This year we picked March 10th for our annual trip. As luck would have it, it turned out to be an unseasonably WARM day at the tail end of winter. We were all very thankful.

Our motley crew was the same as last year-- lovemywoods, OneBadV8, 42769vette, and myself. The 3 of us met in Franklin and carpooled with lovemywoods out to Liberty. We arrived around 11am and were warmly greeted by 42769vette. His wife, a saint, had prepared us a hearty lunch of her homemade chili, coffee cake, and brownies. We also got to see 42769vette's new A&A Optics workshop. The shop is coming along nicely, and should provide some much-needed space for his growing operations. He stocks many different models of Vortex scopes, along with related accessories. His reloading setup has also moved into the shop.

After stuffing ourselves and catching up for a couple hours we decided to head over to the family farm and throw some lead downrange. Here is what we brought to play with:

42769vette
    --Savage 10-FSPR, .308, AI 1.5 stock, Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP/MIL
    --Seekins/Loki AR, 5.56, Geissele trigger, Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x50 FFP/XLR

lovemywoods
    --Remington 700 BDL, .223, Vortex Viper 6.5x20-44

OneBadV8
    --Savage 110BA, .300wm, Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50 FFP
    --LMT MRP AR, 5.56, ACOG

esrice
    --Noveske/Spike's MK18 10.5" SBR, 5.56, Aimpoint H1 (and Viper HSLR 4-16x50 FFP/XLR for fun)

We kicked things off by shooting up near the barn. From there we engaged Bobcat Steel AR500 steel targets at varying distances.

TargetDistance.jpg

The purpose here was to function test our gear, and to zero or confirm zeros on our rifles. Sharing was encouraged and we all shot each other's guns eventually. We ran 2 spotting scopes and easily helped each other make our hits.

BarnCollage.jpg

One cool piece of redneck engineering came courtesy of 42769vette. While shooting recently he was having issues with his titanium YHM .30cal suppressor giving off mirage when hot. This completely distorted his sight picture and left him unable to finish shooting. Aware of the purpose-built sleeves but needing a quick and inexpensive alternative, he turned to a local fireplace store to help him solve his problem. For $5 they sold him a sheet of 2-part material normally used to insulate hot pipes. He cut a small section off, wrapped it around the suppressor, and applied a few wraps of duct tape. Viola!

Crazy part is, it worked great! Even after shooting the AR suppressed we could remove the suppressor bare handed and hold it. It was warm, but never hot. Mirage was completely eliminated and we had no problems shooting throughout the day.

We decided to write "Match Tactical" on it, realizing that we increased its value 1000% by doing so.

SuppressorMod.jpg

We also caught a sneak peak of 42769vette's newest toy, a nice big trailer he can use for gunshows. It still had the fresh 'new trailer' smell!

Trailer.jpg

After everything was dialed in we left the barn and headed for the fields.

Out in the field we had access to a single full-size IPSC torso target made of AR500 steel from Bobcat Steel set at 728 yards. For those like me who aren't used to shooting at longer distances, this is a LONG way away. It's far enough that seeing the target with the naked eye was somewhat difficult.

LongTarget.jpg

All the rifles came back out and we had fun trying each one at the new distance. 42769vette was instrumental here, as his ability to share his knowlege and experience with long distance shooting was greatly appreciated. Many lessons were taught, including reading the wind, the differences in using MILs or MOA, matching a scope to the job, and the differences between a $200 scope and a $2,000 scope. As before, I walked away feeling like I not only had fun, but I learned a few things and gained some valuable experience.

FieldCollage.jpg

For me personally, the best part of the day came from a challenge from 42769vette. We were joking around about my Noveske MK18 10.5" SBR hitting at 700 yards. He bet that he could get me hitting consistently in fewer than 10 rounds. I sarcastially told him he was crazy, because we all know that SBRs can't hit after 200 yards. But of course I was up to the challenge.

First we ripped off my Aimpoint H1 and Magpul AFG and replaced them with a Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x50 FFP/XLR and Harris bipod. The gun looked hilarious! We actually had to remove the scope's sunshade because it extended way past the barrel.

I settled in behind the gun and we got down to business.

With two spotters they both couldn't see my first shot. Nor my second. 42769vette dialed a few adjustments on the scope, hoping I'd hit low and he could see the dirt puff. On the 3rd shot I did, and he was able to make another adjustment. After the 4th shot he shouted "Ah ha!" and started dialing the scope all over the place! 5th shot hit dirt right next to the target. Small adjustment. 6th shot I was told my elevation was great, but to hold left. 7th shot was closer. 8th shot was closer. 9th shot . . . . BANG . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *ding*! "OH ****" was my reaction!

I then dialed the last adjustment in the scope and went on to make several more hits with relative ease. Hold crosshair on center . . . . . *ding*! 42769vette did the same.

IronWidowCollage.jpg

I'll include 3 videos of the actual hits below this post.

Tired and hungry we all packed up and headed back to the house for Round 2 of chili and desserts. We spent the final hour of daylight and several more into the night relaxing in the shop and talking about INGO, guns, optics, business, and family. Thanking our gracious hosts we headed back toward Franklin and then went our separate ways back to our homes.

It had been too long since I had pulled a trigger and it was days like yesterday that reminded me of why I love INGO so much. What a wonderful place to have brought so many quality people into my life. I am blessed, humbled, and thankful for the opportunities that INGO has provided for me over the past 6 years.

If you're in the market for a rifle optic I would STRONGLY encourage you to talk to Alan (42769vette) of A&A Optics. He's not a salesman and he'll point you in the right direction toward the right optic-- even if he doesn't carry it. He's more like a Rifleman who happens to sell optics. The education you'll receive will far outweigh the cost of any scope you purchase.

You can PM him here on INGO directly, or email him at alan@aaoptics.com. Or just give him a call at (765) 580-0986. I know he'll anwer because he was taking calls while we were out shooting!

I'll also mention that he's a big fan of the Appleseed Project and he's hosting an Appleseed at his farm this coming April 19th, 2014. I'm sure he'll be along shortly to share the details for those interested.

With some recent family- and work-related stress it was theraputic to have a day like yesterday. As the weather continues to improve and temps continue to rise I'd encourage you to get out and throw some lead downrange. And if you can, snap a few pics and share your time with the rest of us here on INGO!

:ingo:

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Here are the first series of shots with the SBR as I try and walk the rounds in to the target.

[video=youtube;r98CYq9awrM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r98CYq9awrM[/video]

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Here is the first hit!

[video=youtube;PjasqZ2I8eE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjasqZ2I8eE[/video]

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    And one of several more subsequent hits.

[video=youtube;HTZUgJsmsec]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTZUgJsmsec[/video]

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Here's 42769vette taking headshots with OneBadV8's Savage 110BA in .300 win mag.

[video=youtube;O4lng3eCQLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4lng3eCQLc[/video]

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

Congrats sir.

Here is a brief post on my thoughts for the day because its late, this shoot has sort of become a annual thing, and its one of those days I really look forward to. I spend a lot of time on the range. Typically I'm "working" on something. I'm testing scopes (trying things in situations they were not designed to do to test there abilities etc), load development, working on ranging, wind reading, position's, etc. Long story short I almost always have a agenda. This shoot along with my Appleseed's have become the exact opposite of most of my shooting. I don't have a plan, I don't need to get X done by Y date. I show up, and enjoy the sport I love. I get to hang out with friends, share some laugh's, and just enjoy the day. This year was easier to enjoy because I was not shivering, but that's a old story. Its one of those times I realize how lucky I am. Not only to have that range at my finger tips, and be able to share it, but to have a great job. Evan (esrice) made the comment while I was behind the spotter "This is a lot better than a day at the office". I laughed and said "Hell this is my office:):" Im not sure what he mumbled under his breath, but I really didn't have to hear it to get the jest of what he was saying.

For me the Highlight of the day was the SBR. One of the things I like about shooting is doing things folks say cant be done. For years I've read "A SBR wont shoot past 200 yds" Obviously there is no wall at the 200yd line that pops up when SBR's safety comes off, and no doubt its not that easy, but I knew it was not impossible either so when he opened his bag I knew what I was planning to do. Is a SBR designed to shoot at 700 yds? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Will it do it ABSOLUTELY. Is it sub moa? Nope. Would I have ruined someone's day had I been shooting at them? YEP. Starting off with a rifle that is was not sighted in with that scope, its not like we got any hard dope out of the deal, but we proved it possible. At one point I was sending rounds as soon as I heard the hit report and got a 5 or 6 shot string in before I jerked the trigger and called a miss before the round even got there. Its like shooting a 22lr at extended range, its not what its designed to do, but it sure is fun pushing the limits.

I guess that was not as brief as I planned.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Once again esrice a terrific AAR. I could nearly feel the breeze coming across the field. Nice shooting with your SBR! I think it looks very...well, tacticool.

Alan, I'm sure you know how blessed you are! What a great setup!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Unlike last year's trip and the Arctic blast we had to contend with, I actually welcomed the breeze we had because it allowed us to practice calling the wind and making adjustments. It certainly was a beautiful day.

There must be some strange weather pattern surrounding 42769vette's farm as it always seems to have lots of wind and lots of steady wind. This trip was no different.

Certainly I enjoyed watching teacher and student as Alan spotted and talked esrice in while we was shooing his SBR. Alan is a wonderful instructor. esrice was used to making scope adjustments by counting "clicks". He seemed slightly startled when Alan came up and started spinning the elevation turret on the scope. When you are shooting at 700 yards, you have to add in lots of MOA before you get close.

Once again I brought along my favorite bolt gun, a Remington 700 BDL in .223 that was a gift from my father. It's a fun gun to shoot and I really enjoy going the longer distances. I had to add about 14.5 MOA to my 200 yard zero elevation setting to start making hits. As an aside, I asked Alan what would be a rough estimate for how high the .223 round would be at its highest point above the straight optic sightline. He thought for a moment and said "around 8 feet".

It's fun to have the spotter call the hit from the view in the scope and then hear the small "ding" about 2 seconds later. (The .308 and .300 WinMag made much more distinctive "dings"!)

I also enjoyed shooting the larger caliber rifles and noted how much easier it was to make hits with the heavier rounds. The .300 WinMag is just getting comfortable at 700 yards! They buck the wind so much more as well.

As noted above, both Alan and his wife are wonderful hosts. I appreciate them so much for welcoming us into their home. Every aspect of the day was fun and relaxing.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Wow I'm jealous.

What I have learned from this thread:

I need to take an Appleseed.
    I need you guys to teach me how to shoot my rifle.

Top Bottom