Man charged with neglect after young son fires rifle, killing 13 yr old half bro

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    The best way to parent is expose your kids to guns and tell them to be careful. No need to lock 'em up because that's how my dad did it.Gun safes are a waste of money.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I heard this on the news tonight. The father "removed the magazine, but didn't know there was a bullet in the chamber." Really?!? I mean, REALLY?!?!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What do people want to happen here?

This poor boy just killed his brother, and now you want him to lose his father as well. He is going to be messed up enough without blaming himself for his dad being in jail.

This family has been literally blown apart. What they need now is to find a way to heal. There is no way there can be justice in this case, only finding a way to live with what happened. I hope the family is able to find one that allows them to go forward in a semi-healthy manner.

Shroom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Middletown, IN

This poor boy just killed his brother, and now you want him to lose his father as well. He is going to be messed up enough without blaming himself for his dad being in jail.

This family has been literally blown apart. What they need now is to find a way to heal. There is no way there can be justice in this case, only finding a way to live with what happened. I hope the family is able to find one that allows them to go forward in a semi-healthy manner.

I dont know what they are going through but the father should have
    1. Double checked his weapon.
    2. Check if his weapon had a live round in the chamber after removing the mag.
    3. Made sure his weapon was safe before cleaning.
    4. Taught the importance of firearm safety to his children
    5. Taught the importance of firearm safety to his children
    6. You can add a lot more to this list and not in this order but always teach your children on the safety of firearms no matter how old.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    The personal tragedy doesn't absolve the criminal liability here. It sucks this family has been destroyed by a ridiculous level of carelessness, but that in itself can't be the punishment for such negligence. I knew a family in Florida where the mother left an infant alone in the bathtub for a brief moment with predictable results. That brief moment ended one life and destroyed another. Same scenario here, both preventable, both tragic, both worthy of a prison sentence.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I dont know what they are going through but the father should have
    1. Double checked his weapon.
    2. Check if his weapon had a live round in the chamber after removing the mag.
    3. Made sure his weapon was safe before cleaning.
    4. Taught the importance of firearm safety to his children
    5. Taught the importance of firearm safety to his children
    6. You can add a lot more to this list and not in this order but always teach your children on the safety of firearms no matter how old.
    All true.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

This poor boy just killed his brother, and now you want him to lose his father as well.

I wonder about how the boy will turn out if he continues to be raised by such a "father." I also fear for the safety of others since the father has, allegedly, allowed the rifle to be in such a state of availability to where the boy was able to point the rifle at other people as well. Sounds like maybe the best solution here would be a felony conviction with probation so this "adult" can't possess weapons in the future, can stay in his child's life, and hopefully keep whatever job he has now.

Here is the probable cause affidavit with noted statements from a witness saying the boy has pointed the rifle at them prior to this incident:

http://media.theindychannel.com/docs/doc02257320140321145858.pdf

The one thing I don't like is that how some parents get a pass and others don't. We have had some similar shootings in recent years that even involve the firearms of LEOs, yet I've not heard of any of them being charged. I really wish people would get into the habit of buying a safe and not letting children play with guns. I don't care how "mature" one thinks their six-year old is, one lets them fondle firearms, they are going to view them as toys.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    The best way to pent is expose your kids to guns and tell them to be careful. No need to lock 'em up because that's how my dad did it.Gun safes are a waste of money.

Exposure and education IS the best way to keep your kids safe. It doesn't replace locking them up, but no matter how careful you are about locking them up, someday you are going to make a mistake. When that happens, the only thing that will save your butt is having taught your kids.

I am pretty confident that my 6yo girl would not touch a gun if I accidentally left it out. Why? She has no reason to break the Eddie Eagle rules because she knows that any time she asks to see one I will drop everything I am doing and help her safely hold and touch any gun she wants. She used to ask... now like any 6yo, she is bored with them.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    6 yr olds still think monsters live under their beds, eat boogers and maybe even now and then pee their pants.........................

don't expect them to operate with adult logic.

Why, there are still too many adults who operate outside of the logic realm.

Love your kids, educate them.............but don't trust them............at least not until they're a bit older (and even then if they aint gettin' it, operate accordingly).

Top Bottom