• Which is most important?

• Total voters

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I just saw this video on youtube and it got me reflecting on gun safety.
    [video=youtube;9eYUBA6OKQU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eYUBA6OKQU[/video]

So, which do you think is the most important?
    RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Rule 2 really breaks down what the other rules are trying to get across, but in a more absolute manner.

I really dislike the concept of saying one rule is more important than another... Since you can have a ricochet and hit something you weren't aiming at, so rule 2 doesn't cover everything.
    It especially falls apart when getting into the socratic method, which is why the other rules are equally important to cover every possibility.

JKEdge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Indy
    Rule #1...that's always the first rule I was told, and the first rule I tell anyone I'm shooting with if they don't already know.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    If I HAD to pick one, it would be rule 2. The rules reinforce one another, but even if all else goes wrong, observing that one rule minimizes the chance of injury or death more than any other when all four rules are considered individually.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    As noted, all 4 are important, and there for a reason.

But, if picking just one, I'd pick #2. Rule #1 is sort of an abstraction, the overall 'concept' of gun safety. Rule #3 is an excellent idea, but it's not 'impossible' for a firearm to discharge by a malfunction or breakage (no matter how remote the possibility). Rule #4 is what you want to do WHEN (or while) firing, so the act of pulling the trigger is already implied.

Rule #2, if done properly, resolves any failure of the others. If pointed in a SAFE direction any time it's NOT shooting at an INTENDED target, there's no chance of hitting something unintended, and that includes by ricochet. If there's a potential for a ricochet through some mishap, then it's NOT pointed in a SAFE direction, really.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    As noted, all 4 are important, and there for a reason.

But, if picking just one, I'd pick #2. Rule #1 is sort of an abstraction, the overall 'concept' of gun safety. Rule #3 is an excellent idea, but it's not 'impossible' for a firearm to discharge by a malfunction or breakage (no matter how remote the possibility). Rule #4 is what you want to do WHEN (or while) firing, so the act of pulling the trigger is already implied.

Rule #2, if done properly, resolves any failure of the others. If pointed in a SAFE direction any time it's NOT shooting at an INTENDED target, there's no chance of hitting something unintended, and that includes by ricochet. If there's a potential for a ricochet through some mishap, then it's NOT pointed in a SAFE direction, really.

Sums it up nicely

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Without a doubt, rule #2.

3 and 4 are also good.

I reject rule #1 completely, it should be discarded.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    I feel #2 is where people can get more easily dead from, i.e. "I know it's unloaded, let me point it at my head and pull the trigger..." :twocents:

Top Bottom