• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I might be moving to Hawaii if the GF gets a job she applied for there. I was actually stationed there and took my family on a trip there a few years back. Beautiful place to be...but to live, I'm not having very fond thoughts.

I know Hawaii has probably the strictest gun laws on the books. It's a shall issue state and each firearm purchase requires a separate permit. All firearms must be registered within 48 hours as well. After searching for answers I'm wondering if anyone here is experienced enough to provide the answers.

What happens with the firearms I already own? Am I allowed to bring them in state? Is there a time period in which I'm allowed before having to register them if I AM allowed to bring them in state. I know my AR would be a no no according to their ban. I know a carry permit is hard to get if not impossible but I'm wondering if that's the same permit I'd need to purchase a firearm there? They do have a castle law...bout the only thing going for them.

I'm looking for answers... not criticism on moving there.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I just skimmed over that first link, and man, does it sound like a nightmare for gun owners over there. I wish you best of luck if you end up moving there.

Yep. What to do. I've already turned down her want to move to CA. Now am I supposed to cross my fingers that she doesn't get a position that would make her happy. Very torn about it all.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    After I retired most of my friends and all of my family fully expected me to relocate to The Big Island. You just found the reason I have not moved. I would have to maintain my home here in Indiana just to keep what is rightfully mine.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Yep. What to do. I've already turned down her want to move to CA. Now am I supposed to cross my fingers that she doesn't get a position that would make her happy. Very torn about it all.

Very tough predicament you're in. I hope whatever you choose, you find yourself happy. I know it has to be very conflicting finding yourself hoping your GF doesn't land a job that she, more than likely, really wants or needs.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Best wishes however that turns out, Sgt. :yesway:

I guess the only wisdom I can offer is that a job or money isn't necessarily what defines "happiness", for whatever 'help' that might be.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I'm not 100% on this today but I know I read a few years ago that the CLEO that would sign off on handguns and the permits/licenses took great pride in never having approved a single one.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Big island or Oahu? Believe it or not, but there's actually a few really nice gun shops down on the west side of Waikiki. I think it's one Sunday out of the month, or every Sunday, (don't remember exactly) you can go shoot on the range at K-bay. You might already know that stuff since you've been there before, but it helps ease the pain a little. I also went to a gun show one weekend and it was actually a pretty good show. The best thing I found to help dealing with no guns was I had my mom send me my bow and did some pig hunting. Best of luck to you, I hated living there.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I was stationed there from 02 to 05. I thought about having my Father transfer a gun to me via FFL. I was on Kauai though, and there was only one FFL on the island, I gave up. Plus, we had no range at all. Welcome to Liberal Hawaii. Hope it's a good job, because cost of living is insane.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Yeah, spent several years there myself in the service. Don't plan on having a carry license/permit available. I got some contacts with some current local gun owners there if you want specific details and problems.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I was stationed at K-Bay (KMCAS) from 88-94. Now it's MCBH (Marine Corps Base Hawaii). I actually got on base when I took the family and it changed drastically. The job she applied for is a position at Tripler medical and pays VERY well which includes a COLA on top and they would pay all costs of relocation.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yep. What to do. I've already turned down her want to move to CA. ...

HI is no better than CA with respect to firearms imho (I'd say worse).

Frankly, I'd man up and say if you go you're going without me. And, I'd make it clear now (nicely), before any offer comes through. "Honey, here's where I'm willing to move, and here's where I'm not. The choice is yours." (nicer/more diplomaticly/sensitive than that of course) She's a girlfriend, not a wife at this point. It's a conversation to have before any offer comes through (ideally, even before any applications went out).

This was a litmus test for me before I got married. Our second date (i think?) was a trip to the range. Twenty happy years of marriage later - it has paid off. Big time.

... It's a shall-issue state ...

No, not according to the reference below which shows HI as a MAY-issue state. (Which usually means NO issue for peasants. Honolulu PD hasn't issued one in years.)

Admittedly, it sounds like there's a case moving through the courts that could change this, but for now HI remains a may(no)-issue state.

And, even if this case turns out favorably, the whole political climate out there is hostile to the 2nd Amendment. For example, your existing firearms would have to be registered with the state within 3 days of your arrival (through the police chief in your county).

References: - http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/hawaii.pdf (MUST read.)

Last edited:

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    HI is no better than CA with respect to firearms imho. Frankly, I'd man up and say if you go you're going without me. And, I'd make it clear now (nicely), before any offer comes through. "Honey, here's where I'm willing to move, and here's where I'm not. The choice is yours." She's a girlfriend, not a wife at this point.

This was a litmus test for me before I got married. Our second date (i think?) was a trip to the range. Twenty happy years of marriage later - it has paid off. Big time.

Not according to the following link which shows HI as a MAY-issue state. (Which usually means NO issue for peasants. Honolulu PD hasn't issued one in years.)

Admittedly, it sounds like there's a case moving through the courts that could change this, but for now it's a may-issue state.

And, even if this case turns out favorably, the whole political climate out there is hostile to the 2nd Amendment.

References: - Handgunlaw.us
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/hawaii.pdf

She's my GF but what you fail to understand is that she's my GF of 18 yrs and we have two kids. We are a family. That's manning up thank you. We've been together longer than many stay married.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    She's my GF but what you fail to understand is that she's my GF of 18 yrs and we have two kids. We are a family. That's manning up thank you. We've been together longer than many stay married.

Well, THAT changes things doesn't it! Still, it's something to have a real heart to heart talk about. That's how you stay together, AND happy, right?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Sgtusmc,

While I value our RTKBA I would not make it the most important thing over the love of my life. If push comes to shove family is first - NOT the number of hoops I have to jump through to keep my guns.

That said, once there I would start looking to run for city council, then state legislature to have a voice, gain power, and change the stupid laws.

Guns aside I will warn you to be VERY careful of living in Hawaii! What the others have said about the cost of living is true, but it is also very expensive to live in DC, LA, or downtown NYC.

The issue I would caution you on is island fever! A friend of mine was stationed there in the Navy and several of his married buddies got out and were talked into living there by their spouses, who already had good jobs there.

When you realize the farthest you can drive is about 50 miles before you need a boat or a plane to go ANYWHERE else on the planet Earth can be a bit constraining psychologically. One (1) couple did fine and still happily live there, but the others suffered severe marital problems that ended in divorce.

Think about every time there is a death in the family you must spend thousands of dollars to fly to the funeral if you need to go. Home ownership could be severely limiting due to the geographical nature of the terrain. At least in California you can choose to live an hour or so commute and buy a less expensive home. Not so in Hawaii.

Think about the isolation of the island. If you can live with that for years on end then good luck on covering the rest of the issues!

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom