Question: out-of-staters legal to shoot at IN DNR range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    Please direct or have this moved if in the wrong forum. Also , pardon the dupe. Couldn't get search to cough up anything on this.

I'm going to southern IN to meet some friends from IL who are non-FOID holders for camping. While there, I'd like to take them to a DNR range to shoot. They are all over 21.

Will they or myself be breaking any laws if they shoot long and hand guns?

:dunno:

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    The range at Pigeon river has signage that states you must have a carry permit to shoot pistols there. It doesn't specify an Indiana permit.

I would call the DNR.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    IC 35-47-2-1 Version b
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Note: This version of section effective 7-1-2014. See also preceding version of this section, effective until 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the

premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case; or
    (5) the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI

[SIZE=-1]Atterbury <atterburyshootingrange@yahoo.com>[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]To: "tetsujin79@gmail.com" <tetsujin79@gmail.com>[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]We are a public range licenses and credentials don't matter here. During our open hours yes we are a first come first serve basis and have our own RSOs so please come and bring your friends.
    All guns welcome except the 50cal BMG.
    Thanks for inquiring

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 8, 2014, at 4:09 PM, tetsujin79@gmail.com wrote:

Subject: question about out of state use
    Message: I'm an Indiana resident with a LTCH and I'll be camping in the area next week with some friends from Illinois. They are over 21 and do not have FOID cards.

Can they use the range and shoot any long guns or hand guns I might bring?

Thank you[/SIZE]

Well, that answers my question too. :yesway:

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    Just curious why you thought that anyone other than a felon might not be able to shoot your guns at a public range?

I can see that IN isn't full of douchy rules regarding that, but I wanted to find someone :ingo: to point out where in the IC that was addressed to ease the minds of the IL residents that will be joining me.

I lived in Illinois and the laws are mighty screwy there. You can get a little twitchy with all the freedom they throw around right across the border.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Welcome to Firearm Freedom! My son had some business folks in town training them. They were all from a country with no personal firearms law. They had a great afternoon at Roush Lake Range shooting an assortment of his and my guns. Everything from .22 to .454 Casull.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Just curious why you thought that anyone other than a felon might not be able to shoot your guns at a public range?
    Up until a couple of years ago, it was an open question. The DNR went through atterbury a couple years ago citing everyone without a ltch who handled a pistol even if they were shooting a present ltch holders gun. They also seized the firearms. The local prosecutor refused to file so it ended there.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...31547-guns-confiscated-tickets-atterbury.html

The new code makes it clear now.

Last edited:

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    Atterbury was very nice. Everybody had a good time. We had one hit a baffle to tune of $50, but that was my fault as the shooter was vary small of stature and rocked a rifle up on the magazine bottom. I should have gotten them a cushion or a box to sit on. :twocents: Lesson learned. Other thoughts:

Awesome range. :rockwoot:

Very controlled environment & "safe" feeling. Helped calm the new shooters. :yesway:

Annoyed I had to unload & un-holster to get time with my carry. :noway:

Top Bottom