• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    My wife isn't a member but she is a gun person. I think she might be a little miffed at the amount of money I spent if I bought her a firearm as a gift but I think she would appreciate it.

She has carried a S&W 38 snubby with a crimson trace grip forever. I would like her to carry something with a few more bangs available. Not to mention the much more advanced tech in 9mm vs 38 spl. She has shot my G21 at the range. She said she is not a fan due to her smaller hands dealing with the grip size.

I am thinking about a G26 or a XDS in 9mm as a gift. I know the XD has a smaller grip size but the G26 supplies quite a bit more ammo. How much larger is the G26's gen4 grip with the smallest backstrap size vs the snubby with the crimson trace grip over it?

For reference she is 5'9 with the hands of a spider monkey.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My wife isn't a member but she is a gun person. I think she might be a little miffed at the amount of money I spent if I bought her a firearm as a gift but I think she would appreciate it.

She has carried a S&W 38 snubby with a crimson trace grip forever. I would like her to carry something with a few more bangs available. Not to mention the much more advanced tech in 9mm vs 38 spl. She has shot my G21 at the range. She said she is not a fan due to her smaller hands dealing with the grip size.

I am thinking about a G26 or a XDS in 9mm as a gift. I know the XD has a smaller grip size but the G26 supplies quite a bit more ammo. How much larger is the G26's gen4 grip with the smallest backstrap size vs the snubby with the crimson trace grip over it?

For reference she is 5'9 with the hands of a spider monkey.

I'm 5'2" with small hands. I have owned a G26 Gen3, and the XDs .45 ACP. I found the G26 grip too fat for concealed carry, it bugged me. The XDs was not comfortable to shoot, but maybe the 9mm would be different, I'd be curious to know that myself! I usually carry a S&W 38 snubby as well. If I do carry a semi-auto, it is usually my Sig P938, if I can get it away from my husband! Question is, what does she like?

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I'm 5'2" with small hands. I have owned a G26 Gen3, and the XDs .45 ACP. I found the G26 grip too fat for concealed carry, it bugged me. The XDs was not comfortable to shoot, but maybe the 9mm would be different, I'd be curious to know that myself! I usually carry a S&W 38 snubby as well. If I do carry a semi-auto, it is usually my Sig P938, if I can get it away from my husband! Question is, what does she like?

Holy crap typo of the year. My wife is 5'3 not 9. She purse carries. How did it feel for you to shoot? Grip too fat?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    My wife has been carrying a Sig P238 but decided she wanted a little more steam. We've been married for 23 years and she has never owned a purse so holsters are what she does. She shoots our .40 caliber Glocks (23 & 27) comfortably but they are too big for her to conceal. OC is out of the question. She recently bought a S&W 9MM M&P Shield. It fits her hands very well, and she can CC it without worrying about it being noticed.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Wanting to buy the spousal unit a new handgun is awesome...

But I'd imagine you'll probably be sorry if YOU buy it for her rather than letting her pick the one SHE wants. One that she KNOWS fits her hand.

Take her to a rental range or two and get some hands on some hardware - see what she prefers.

Nothing like spending $500 bones on a new gun - only to have her no like it.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

But I'd imagine you'll probably be sorry if YOU buy it for her rather than letting her pick the one SHE wants. One that she KNOWS fits her hand.

Take her to a rental range or two and get some hands on some hardware - see what she prefers.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^ .. stepson did this and it didn't work out too well, he ended up with the handgun and she was miffed because she felt he was doing it because she was a girl and girls don't know about guns ..etc, etc, etc ...

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I agree with above... try to let her pick (if at all possible), otherwise it might not get used much or she may not like it - either secretly or outspokenly.

My wife doesn't like guns and doesnt want to carry one, but We've gone over safety basics for in home emergencies and safely storing. SHE IS NOT able to easily manipulate the slide on my m&p Shield, so she prefers the revolver.
    A lot of the 380 autos are more easy to manipulate than their 9mm brothers. The Walther CCP is supposed to be very easy to rack for a 9mm, so we'll see when I can try one out.
    ... let her decide and try before you buy
    .../endrandomrant

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana

Yeah I really wanted it to be a surprise. Was thinking if she doesn't like it. I would use it myself and get her a new gift. Didn't occur to me that she might think that was the plan all along. That could turnout poorly :). To the the range/rent together I guess. Thanks all.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Holy crap typo of the year. My wife is 5'3 not 9. She purse carries. How did it feel for you to shoot? Grip too fat?

Well, purse carry does open up a few more options, although you still don't want to go too heavy! I've purse carried before, but didn't like it much. I prefer ankle carry, which I know is not ideal, but it is better than not carrying. I really don't mind the fat grips, as long as I can keep a good grip and squeeze the trigger. My non-carry guns all have wider grips, and I enjoy shooting them. The G26 was ok to shoot, I wasn't all that accurate with it, and didn't like carrying it. Didn't see a point in having it if I wasn't going to carry it. What guns has she shot that she does like? My taste in guns has really evolved over the years. Usually my husband and I go shopping for guns together, so we know what we each like. Don't get into that habit, though...it gets expensive!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Yeah I really wanted it to be a surprise. Was thinking if she doesn't like it. I would use it myself and get her a new gift. Didn't occur to me that she might think that was the plan all along. That could turnout poorly :). To the the range/rent together I guess. Thanks all.

Maybe it could still be a surprise. After going to the range and renting, then buy her the gun, or maybe a gift card. We have an anniversary coming up too! I don't really foresee a new gun, though, as we buy/trade enough already. Going shooting, new gun, dinner at a nice restaurant...win/win!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You can still make it a surprise!

Present her with a "gift certificate" for her to get herself a new heeter IF she wants!!!

As per Kirk's suggestion: Off the top of my pointy head, I can't remember if the Kahr T9 is a steel framed one or a polymer (I'm thinking steel)... If you're at all interested in an all metal DAO single-stack gun, the Kahrs are definitely fantastic guns.

They do have a new line of "full sized" polymer guns out, too. Full grip frame vs. their long-been-sold compact frames.

-J-

Top Bottom