• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I think this topic has been covered, sorry if it's a dupe. I am right handed and left eye dominant. I feel more comfortable shooting a rifle righty than lefty. I have not been able to find my natural point of aim in the prone position shooting righty, but have lefty.
    I heard that other shooters in my dilemma have purchased bifocals that has helped their right eye sight. I have also heard that covering the lens of your shooting glasses with tape also helps. Just wondering what other ingoer experiences are.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    There have been a number of threads discussing issues with cross eye dominance. I'm the same as you - right handed and left eye dominant. My personal recommendation is that you should not attempt to "fix" your eye dominance. In my experience it is easier to learn to shoot left-handed than it is to train yourself to use your non-dominant eye. The only down side is finding firearms that are either ambidextrous or left-handed. Makes me appreciate what real lefties go through.

As an instructor I have worked with people at various age and experience levels with the same issue and (with a few exceptions) they have learned to shoot with their off hand. That's not exactly a scientific sampling but I have worked with a large number of shooters.

There are certainly a lot of people who advocate training your eye. I know it is possible, I just think that it is more difficult. You also should consider that if you go that route, you need to get to a point where you can shoot without any aids such as taped glasses. Otherwise you put yourself at a disadvantage if you ever find yourself in a real-life situation and need to shoot.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There is a company that makes a magnifier that clips to the right arm of your normal glasses. It has a swing arm that lets you position a lens over your right eye in whatever position you need it. I think I got mine at Brownells. It allowed me a better definition of the sights on the M1a.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom