• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Some of you know my son made the rifle team at Rose-Hulman this year, we're very proud of him. He's learning so much and really enjoying the rifle team.

Unfortunately, the Rose-Hulman president James C. Conwell has decided this is the last year for the team; he says Rose will be concentrating it's resources on other sports. Interesting, since Rose contributes very little to the rifle team. Ammunition and a great deal of other consumables are currently purchased by the coach out of pocket.

What a shame that a team from a Division III school who competes at the Division I level, made nationals last year, would just close down because the university president says so. And why? To better utilize resources? What resources? The space under the bleachers of the football field? Is there a need for more storage space? THAT storage space? Really?

I submit the school is continuing a turn toward anti-gun. The campus, private school, is a no-gun zone already. Now it's president is closing down a self-sustaining sport that competes at the national level because he doesn't like guns.

I encourage my Rose brothers and sisters to let the school know what you think. Let the media in Terre Haute know what you think.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    That's a shame.

Is he considering transferring to another school that still has a program?

No he went there to play football, but education was #1. He played one season of football and sidelined near the end of his freshman season with an injury. Decided it was in his best interest to concentrate on school and let football go, but saw the rifle team as a wonderful opportunity to compete in the NCAA at the Division I level. No sooner does he make the team and the announcement comes down this is the last season.

He will graduate there, but what a loss to the school.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    I shot in undergrad (#5 as a team nationally). Tried to shoot with the team in grad school at Univ of Mich but the libs did everything they could to shut the team down, pushed it off campus, etc. Gave up on it. Universities are liberal to the bone. It's a hard row to hoe keeping rifle teams active there.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That absolutely sucks. Post someone we can contact at the university, and ill happily write them an email.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Next time I talk to President Conwell I'll ask him about this.

Good. This is the letter I sent:

President Conwell,

Rifle Team Head Coach Jason LaBella has passed along information regarding the Rose-Hulman Rifle Team. It is my understanding this will be the last season for the rifle team at your request. It is also my understanding the reason was to reallocate resources, yet very few resources are provided by the university. From the outside looking in it appears Rose-Hulman is anti-gun, strange for rural Indiana. My son is a junior at Rose and tells me a good number of rural Indiana kids attend Rose and most reflect the common world view of fly-over America - definitely not anti-gun to say the least.

Also, from the outside looking in, it's odd Rose would want to drop a sport that has enjoyed so much success. The team consistently places nationally in the top 25 and competes with division I schools across the country. You would think the rifle team - or any team with this much success - would be a PR selling point for the Institute complete with color glossy pictures in the tri-fold.

I am disappointed Rose-Hulman is dropping an opportunity for their students to compete in the NCAA at the Division I level. My son tells me there were at least 50 kids trying out this year for the 4 open spots on the team. He and his best friend were two of those four. The interest is there, the resources to sustain the sport are very low, the success rate is very high, from a business standpoint it appears the ROI is very high.

Asking that you reconsider,

V/R

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Actually I was looking for some report other than your posting here on INGO that this decision has been made. I didn't find any mention of it on the Rose-Hulman web site.

Thanks...

I couldn't find it either and that's odd. My son said there were at least two articles about it in the student paper, but none of those stories are on the website. One of the follow up stories in the campus news was an interview with the coach. Every point president Conwell cited as reason for closing the team down was systematically dismantled with data - wish I had that story. I'll ask him if he has a paper copy.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I will craft a letter and also attempt to gain the support of the parents on the Facebook site. I'm not sure if that's a good move, though. I don't personally know these people and they just may take the incoatiom and provide additional support for the president's decision. Hmmmm... I will still write a letter and email it today.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I will craft a letter and also attempt to gain the support of the parents on the Facebook site. I'm not sure if that's a good move, though. I don't personally know these people and they just may take the incoatiom and provide additional support for the president's decision. Hmmmm... I will still write a letter and email it today.

Appreciate it. I think the best tack is what's best for the institute given it's location - rural Indiana. Any sport with this much success and very low investment is an awesome opportunity for incoming students. How often does a Division III school consistently rank #1 in Division III and top 25 Nationally Division I? And to dump it for no reason?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I would suggest getting alumni, students and parents of current students and community leaders to contact him (they have more weight than people not involved with the school). Emphasize the low cost, local culture and the National recognition. Keep the "you're a liberal loon" stuff down. Just a suggestion. Good luck, I hope you can convince him to keep the program going. :twocents:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Appreciate it. I think the best tack is what's best for the institute given it's location - rural Indiana. Any sport with this much success and very low investment is an awesome opportunity for incoming students. How often does a Division III school consistently rank #1 in Division III and top 25 Nationally Division I? And to dump it for no reason?

Wish we had a rifle team at Franklin.

I always found it cool when D3 teams had to play D1 schools in any sport; Butler, Notre Dame, Valpo, etc....and the D3 team would win.

Sucks they ditched the team, but like anything gun related it was somebody probably throwing a b*tch fit and saying how evil killing machines shouldn't be supported by a "prestigious institution" or it was a major school donor who said they wouldn't contribute anymore

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thanks for letting us know about this.

...and for gosh sakes, friends, in sending your letters and e-mails, please don't go accusing people of attitudes and biases- focus on the positives of the rifle team.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Sucks they ditched the team, but like anything gun related it was somebody probably throwing a b*tch fit and saying how evil killing machines shouldn't be supported by a "prestigious institution" or it was a major school donor who said they wouldn't contribute anymore

Follow the money. Find a couple major school donors that support the rifle program and have them threaten to pull their funding unless the president reverses his decision.

Top Bottom