• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I was thinking about what my preferred SHTF pistol (or pistols) would be. My thinking has evolved over time, but here's where I'm at now.

For EDC under normal conditions that I have experienced my whole life, I carry the G26. 9mm defensive rounds are effective from my research and offer outstanding capacity, especially in the 26.
    I chose Glock as my pistols of choice for combined reliability, accuracy, and ergonomics that I have experienced.

One thing I hear and read all the time is "9mm will be plentiful." I say BS. Even if it is "available," no bullets would be cheap or plentiful, period. It kind of irritates me when I hear 9mm (or whatever caliber) will be everywhere.
    Now that I have that out of the way, I was thinking if there ever is a SHTF situation (economic collapse, solar event, EMP, natural disaster, or other...), exotic 9mm hollow-point rounds might not be so easy to come by, would be expensive, and even if hollow-points could be found, my ability to buy such rounds would be limited. So, bullet size might be worth more consideration. Also, in a bad situation that lasts, reloaded ball ammo might be the most available or affordable of all and bullet size might be more worthy of consideration.
    This makes me want to diversify and have 9mm AND .45 ACP Glocks. For me, I think a Gen 4 21 with 13 rounds in each mag would be my main choice, with the 26 as a backup, maybe on the ankle.

Here's my list of my top 3 pistols and in order of priority:
    1. Glock 26 (EDC no matter what, super versatile with mags and grip options)
    2. Glock 21 (SHTF carry with 26 as backup)
    3. Glock 34 (full size option 9mm for SHTF and training)

Now, if I could only have only ONE pistol ever, I would probably choose a 19. However, my plan is not to compromise in that way. I want a selection of guns that each serve a specific purpose.
    But, due to the versatility, a G19 might make it on my top 5 list, but not top 3.

I was just pondering this subject while I was driving on the highway today. Let me know your thoughts. What are your top 3?

Last edited:

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    G22 #1. I have competed against many 9mm that can't drop the steel popper with one shot. .40 is plentiful and popular. And they will shoot any brand or profile. 44 mag revolver. Can hunt with it, fairly popular. Pocket .380 KelTec for super ease of hiding and deployment close range backup.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Cool, Rocket. I need to get my feet wet and compete in GSSF and take classes. Having more experience and training under my belt might change my thinking. I try to have an open mind and keep learning what might work better for me.
    Also, I consider a pistol a backup to a rifle in a very bad situation. SHTF could have gray areas, depending on the cause or duration. Maybe a concealed pistol is all you need to get around. Maybe a rifle with a pistol on the belt, depending on the scenario.

Isn't this fun, to speculate about all this stuff!
    I watched a video biography about Albert Einstein. He conducted, "thought experiments," during which times he would just sit and think.
    I think many of us do that to some degree. In my opinion, lots of folks here are more aware than the average citizen.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    G23 for my first. Slightly smaller than the 22 so it is more comfortable to wear and a little easier to conceal. Still has good magazine capacity with factory mags.

For my second I like the idea of a revolver. They make a good back up/utility gun, since they just generally work, unless something breaks internally. I only have a 3" Ruger SP101 in .357Mag/.38 special, which is a great option. I think if I went with an SP101 strictly for SHTF I would get a longer barrel or step up to a longer barrel GP100. I like the idea of the Taurus Judge for SHTF though. The ammo versatility is nice, and the 410 option opens up a little more hunting opportunities. Only downside to that option is the availability of .45LC, but the 410 varieties can easily balance that out IMO.

For a third I have a Ruger LCP. I think something similar to this is a good option. Gives you a last resort, but also gives you a deep concealment weapon if things need to be low profile. Something in 9mm would be better in terms of power and ammo availability, but of course you either give up conceal-ability or magazine capacity. I think .380 is probably popular enough for this to be a real option though.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Your comment, literally about the 9mm "knockdown power," on steel is why .45 looks appealing to me as a problem solver.
    I only shot .40 one time, a G22 and I didn't shoot it very well, but probably would shoot better with practice.

G22 #1. I have competed against many 9mm that can't drop the steel popper with one shot. .40 is plentiful and popular. And they will shoot any brand or profile. 44 mag revolver. Can hunt with it, fairly popular. Pocket .380 KelTec for super ease of hiding and deployment close range backup.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Hard to push just pistols, but I think I'd have to go with:

Sig P228 - compact 9mm, can use P228 or P226 magazines; and I prefer a DA/SA hammer fired pistol.
    Smith and Wesson 65 - verniable 4" 357 mag revolver, combat sights, can shoot .38spl as well as .357; plus few things I figure on encountering that 158gr JSP won't be bad medicine for.
    Smith and Wesson M&P 45, full size 4.25" - 10 round standard, 14 round extended mags, would be my vote for a .45acp pistol.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Not to derail your post, but in a real SHTF situation I don't want to have to rely on a pistol. Whatever pistol I carry would be back-up to some sort of rifle or shotgun.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Yea, but you'd have a pistol, and this thread is about pistols. No one said u can only have pistols. It just happens to be what were talking about here.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    In a SHTF situation, you could be faced with both providing food for the table and defending your family and property. In that role, it'd be hard to beat a revolver in .357 or .44 magnum. You can hunt small game with .38/.44 special or take deer with .357/.44 magnum. The ability of those magnums to defend against "predators" is already understood. If armed only with my SR9C in 9mm, I'd never be able to take that 75 yard shot on a deer that a Redhawk/Blackhawk/Mod 29 in 44 mag could drop where it stands. Maybe something like a GP-100 or a SW 686 w/4" barrel would be great for carry then keep a Model 29/Redhawk/Blackhawk in 44 mag with a 7"+ barrel for hunting. Pick up a levergun in either caliber and you're good to go.

Either handload or accumulate a stash of 9mm for barter or to use as currency.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    In a SHTF, since my pistol would be back up for my rifle, I would likely carry a Sig P226 Mk 25. Accurate, dependable, anti corrosion to the max on the internals workings.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Well since we're taking explicitly about pistols and the ever-topical "SHTF situation"...make mine a AR pistol chambered in 5.56.

Can't think of a better backup for a carbine.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Well, doing through this process actually made me consider getting a revolver at some point.
    Also, I'm tweaking my top 3 list.

Glock 26 (9mm EDC no matter what, super versatile with mags and grip options)
    Glock 21 (.45 SHTF carry with 26 as backup)
    Glock 23 (.40 would give me a 3rd ammo option, add 9mm conversion for cheaper shooting and flexibility)

Other pistols would be on an expanded list, but I like these top 3 pistols for personal defense and supplementary to a rifle (whole other conversation).

Top Bottom