Families of 10 Newtown victims file lawsuit against gunmaker, distributor, store

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    This is mostly about two things:

1) Trying to inflict as much legal (which equates to financial) pain as possible on companies these misguided people don't like.
    2) Lawyers getting publicity and (hopefully for them) more business.

Even in CT this is a non-existent case and hopefully a judge will throw it out sooner rather than later.

I don't know about you but all my compassion for these people has long-since evaporated as I've seen them allow themselves to be used as props for opportunistic politicians both in CT and nationally. In fact, I'm now of the opinion that CT must simply be full of fools.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    The suits should be directed at the school corporation for not building a building with proper physical security such as unbreachable doors and windows and not having a workable plan to neutralize an intruder.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Yeah, it's sad. I don't remember any stories of parents raising heck with the school board or confronting them at a board meeting. IF the school had chicken wire glass and IF the doors would be impenetrable and IF there was never a breach in rules (maintenance man, teacher, cook sneaking out the boiler room door and propping it open to have a prohibited smoke) there wouldn't be a problem in any school. How about it school board members.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    As long as they're looking for targets to sue. How about suing the hospital where Adam Lanza was born? Had they done their due diligence and recognized what a threat he was to the world, they could have snuffed him out right then and there.

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    The suits should be directed at the school corporation for not building a building with proper physical security such as unbreachable doors and windows and not having a workable plan to neutralize an intruder.

If only they protected kids like they protect money...

many states have learned more gun restrictions just make more soft targets. Most malls, schools, lax air termanil. These are places the a salient is less likely to get shot back at for a time. I have yet to hear about a person going to a police or sheriff station and shooting (heck no they have Wepons and are willing to shoot back).
    I agree spend the money on school buildings, busses, teachers, firefighters, cops, and if there is any money left (right) pay welfare and politicians.
    Just my humble opinion

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    I just :poop: myself knowing that there's a killer at home right now with my wife and pets, chambered in 5.56. I'm truly sorry for their losses but I'm even more sorry for their desperate ignorance.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    many states have learned more gun restrictions just make more soft targets. Most malls, schools, lax air termanil. These are places the a salient is less likely to get shot back at for a time. I have yet to hear about a person going to a police or sheriff station and shooting (heck no they have Wepons and are willing to shoot back).
    I agree spend the money on school buildings, busses, teachers, firefighters, cops, and if there is any money left (right) pay welfare and politicians.
    Just my humble opinion

Sadly far too many people and legislators still DON'T get this simple fact. Any self-respecting bad-guy, especially one who wants to make a "statement" is going to do his or her homework and find out WHERE to make a maximum impact. It's absolutely clear that Adam Lanza did exactly that and, while he was insane, don't confuse that with either stupid or irrational. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing and intended to make it bloody. Same with the Columbine perps, they picked their target because they knew they'd be safer there for a longer period of time.

What about Aurora? Once again, the perp knew that people coming out of that movie theater would be unarmed due to the fact that lawful citizens are, by definition, lawful.

That hostage situation in Sydney OZ, of course Australia is almost completely disarmed. So the perp, in this case a Muslim terrorist (redundant I know!) simply picked a convenient spot and knew he'c be safe.

But don't EVER expect the anti-gunners to wise up. They know exactly what they are doing as well. They are not about gun safety or even about reducing violence. They are about eliminating guns in civilian hands except, of course, for their heavily armed bodyguards!

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    For anyone brave enough to read it, here's the actual text of the lawsuit. I skimmed through it and it's really hard for me to take them seriously.

Newtown families file lawsuit against gunmaker - StamfordAdvocate

Under the doctrine of "negligent entrustment" they might have a case against the estate of Nancy Lanza. Negligent entrustment against the manufacturer or gun shop for putting certain goods into the stream of commerce-no way, even without the federal immunity statute.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Under the doctrine of "negligent entrustment" they might have a case against the estate of Nancy Lanza. Negligent entrustment against the manufacturer or gun shop for putting certain goods into the stream of commerce-no way, even without the federal immunity statute.

Negligent entrustment is a real doctrine?

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Negligent entrustment is a real doctrine?

Yep. Comes up in automobile accident cases, mostly. For instance, if I know or have reason to know that the guy to whom I'm lending my car can't drive worth a ****, or is reckless etc., and through his negligence or recklessness causes someone injury, I could be held liable along with him for the injury.

Of course, this would depend entirely on the unique facts and circumstances of each case. I'd guess that if I lent my car to by buddy who was slurring his speech, smelled of alcohol and was stumbling around, and he hurt someone, it would be a slam dunk for me being liable for his drunk driving accident.

Someone steals my car, different story entirely.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Yep. Comes up in automobile accident cases, mostly. For instance, if I know or have reason to know that the guy to whom I'm lending my car can't drive worth a ****, or is reckless etc., and through his negligence or recklessness causes someone injury, I could be held liable along with him for the injury.

Of course, this would depend entirely on the unique facts and circumstances of each case. I'd guess that if I lent my car to by buddy who was slurring his speech, smelled of alcohol and was stumbling around, and he hurt someone, it would be a slam dunk for me being liable for his drunk driving accident.

Someone steals my car, different story entirely.

Right on. It would make more sense to sue Nancy Lanza's estate to me. I mean, all you'd have to do is say "hey she knew her kid was bat$h!t crazy and din't bother to secure her guns." But obviously any rational person would blame the manufacturer, and the vender, and the seller.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Under the doctrine of "negligent entrustment" they might have a case against the estate of Nancy Lanza....

Is it "negligent entrustment" when he killed her with one gun, then stole the AR used at the school?

How can you be said to have "entrusted" something to someone who killed you to get it?

How can you be negligent post-mortem?

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Is it "negligent entrustment" when he killed her with one gun, then stole the AR used at the school?

How can you be said to have "entrusted" something to someone who killed you to get it?

How can you be negligent post-mortem?

I think you could argue negligence because as I said earlier, she knew her kid was unstable and didn't take any precautions to secure her firearms. At least that's what I'd try to argue.

Top Bottom